my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




~10 on Tuesday below


Early one morning this summer, being outdoors in the yet still, quiet, darkness, I spied a lightning bug flitting around near the grass blade tops and it brought back memories. Memories of the days when I was young and would go out in the darkness of the hot summer nights and catch them, and put them in a glass jar with holes punched in the metal lid that my dad did for me with a hammer and nail! And oh how they glowed....


And of course, I have been making special efforts to go outdoors in the wee early hours of the day to see if I could see any more!! I did, and a poem was inspired---
© 2007
Hootin' Anni

SHINE FOR ME*

In the darkness of the night
He's searching here and searching there,
Off in the distance, under the tree;
Atop a fern, or near the ground,
He hopes to see a flare.
He's waiting and hoping;
Expecting a response perhaps in the bush.
Soon, he espies it,
A bright yellow beam.....
The glow from his lady friend's tush!

Lightning Bugs
[Also called fireflies, but they're not flies, they're beetles!! And with some species, both male and female 'glow']
*Please, do not copy without permission

<><><>

I just read a wonderful poem at the Ozarks Sew 'n' Sews, and I was compelled to send it along to all as a 'shared' thing. It's called "What if" ...it's one I loved!! Drop by if you have time.... read the poem here.

<><><>

Look what I received in the mail yesterday! A package from my sister who lives in Colorado. She knows [of course] that I have been collecting Santas of which I'm so proud. She told me on the card inside that she saw this at the candy store they frequent when they drive up to Grand Junction for a game of golf ---they always stop at the candy store [it's Enstrom's]. Anyway, with a small box containing my favorite toffee, she sent along this dish that they had in the window of the store along with their holiday window decor. It seems early to have the holidays in mind, but with owning a business like this, they ship candies a lot from September to mid-December. But wait....I say it's not even Halloween?!!! *shrug*
After living in that area of Colorado, and owning their own business for years, they have become great friends with many other business owners. And my sister talked them out of the dish. FREE!! What a hoot, huh? She, then sent it to me 'cause she loves me. *giggles*
It's certainly not a candy dish [I wouldn't think]. I'm thinking about the size of a veggie-serving dish or something of that nature. But, I'll find some use for it come the holiday season.


<><><>



Today, for Ten on Tuesday we're supposed to list ten things we love about our job.

Well, last week we had to list ten things we dislike about our job, and I used a bit of comedy to my blog sketch 'cause I don't work! But, this week it's gonna be a bit different...only because I love being retired!! Well, most of the time anyway. There is this age thing that still creeps up on me, and I realize that age is here when Arthur Itis and Charley Horse pays a visit!! And since I'm nearing 60 in age, I like to joke around about getting older ---but, most days I don't feel any older than 59!! *wink*

1) I love the fact that I can design my own decor in my home, and change it with the seasons and holidays; without being rushed for time to get it done over a weekend before returning to work on Mondays.

2) I love the fact that I can get up when I want, do what I want and have no schedule to follow or work to do outside the home with an employer at my back, telling me that this and that has to be done by 5 PM, or else!!

3) I love to tinker around, gardening and crafts. Now, I have all the time in the world to do such things.

4) I truly love my kids, but I so enjoy having an 'empty nest' once again. We had our first baby for the family when we were married just over a year, and since then, the hubby and I didn't have much 'private time' to ourselves. Now we enjoy each other's company with no "take me here mom" or "I need this at the store, mom". It's a piece of heaven now, around our home.

5) Then, on another token, I love being called "Grandma".



GRANDMA
In the dim and distant past
When life's tempo wasn't so fast,
Grandma used to rock and knit,
Crochet, tat and baby sit.

When the kids were in a jam,
They could always call on Gram.
But today she's in the gym
Exercising to keep slim.

She's checking the web or surfing the net,
Sending some e-mail or placing a bet.
Nothing seems to stop or block her,
Now that Grandma's off her rocker.


6) As I said, we're ALONE now, not too many of our friends or family like the hot humid weather of the subtropics like we do--so not much family visiting until winter time...and I love being alone, with no worries of keeping our house spic and span for company arriving at any given time. No company, no need to clean but just for myself.

7) I love the fact that we can take off for a couple of days at a time...or a week, or there for a while months at a time, with no worries. [Tho the month excursions have come to a halt because of health...]

8) When things get down and I think the fairways of life are too long, or the hills are getting steeper by the hour, I look around and thank god I love living....and I'm on the top side of the turf!! Speaking of fairways, golf is okay but not an addiction like some of our friends have now that they're retired.

9) I love living here with hubby and the gulf just 10 minutes away!! Collecting seashells is a GOOD thing about my job.

10) I love the fact I can sleep in each day of the year if I choose. Or nap when I want.



ODE TO OLD AGE

Thought I'd let my doctor check me,
'Cause I didn't feel quite right. . .
All those aches and pains annoyed me
And I couldn't sleep at night.

He could find no real disorder
But he wouldn't let it rest.
What with Medicare and Blue Cross,
We would do a couple tests.

To the hospital he sent me
Though I didn't feel that bad.
He arranged for them to give me
Every test that could be had.

I was fluoroscoped and cystoscoped,
My aging frame displayed.
Stripped, on an ice cold table,
While my gizzards were x-rayed.

I was checked for worms and parasites,
For fungus and the crud,
While they pierced me with long needles
Taking samples of my blood.

Doctors came to check me over,
Probed and pushed and poked around,
And to make sure I was living
They then wired me for sound.

They have finally concluded,
Their results have filled a page.
What I have will someday kill me;
My affliction is OLD AGE.




18 comments :

  1. I can sooooo relate to all that, MM. Although I still work two days a week in the city, I can see the end to that, too. Woohoo!

    I've just noticed...I'm first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE all the poems and your list of what you like about your job! LOL

    Nice to "meet" you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved those poems!! GREAT!! I go to the doctor tomorrow in fact for my physical!! I guess I should share this one with him..ha!! I also love it about GRANDMAS since now I am working at CURVES..My grandmothers would probably be just wondering about me..I would love to have them see me now. We are so different!! smile..
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I miss sleep!! At least I know somewhere down the line I can have it back!

    (Love the firefly poem. Aaron is beyond enamored with them.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your post today!!!
    I got up for years very early when I was married and while Nancy worked at the sheltered work shop (19 years) every morning at 6:30

    I did a meme last week and one of the questions was " What time do you wake up"? I wrote, when I wake up! Some one commented "I dream of the day I can say that"!

    I really like this part of being older! This morning I woke up early at 5:30 and I wasn't able to go back to sleep, I am getting excited about our trip! So I got up and got on line!!!
    You can choose to get up or sleep as late as you want..... I lcve that!
    I got online and read my comments and Daisy had given me another name plate!!! It is adorable,too!

    I told her I would have to wait until we came home from our trip and then see if Karen wanted to make some more.... I wasn't stressed so much for me as worring about if others would be that I tagged.....
    I know I shouldn't worry about stuff so much! Like you said we are among friends!!! This is now turning into a book! I must stop... Love and Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your post-and the poems-


    And the santa plate is pretty cool! ;) I collect Santa stuff too-


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grrrrr.... Blogger ate my first comment!

    At any rate... I was just commenting how SWEET it was of your darlin' sister to practically STEAL that dish for you! ;) And how SWEET you poems are today too! I LOVE those little glow-bugs! Are they gone from your neighborhood for the season? We still have them flitting about at night!

    *copying now... in case of blogger hunger*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well hon, you are a hoot! LOL! Sorry, best i can do with this pesky migrane! He keeps following me everywhere this morning and won't let go of my head! LOL! nice to meet you and thanks for the visit! I love, love, love your blog! Glad ya liked Ma's poem. She is a sweet special lady! huggles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello hello hello, I love your site and your poetry is great!
    Thanks for stopping by my place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree to all points at 100 % it could have been I who wrote it, lol ! Only one thing I don't do anymore ! Since I am an old respectable person (not such a youngster as you ! Only 59 you are a toddler compared to me) When visitors come, they come I don't do anything more in my household except preparing beds when necessary. I only put some plates more on the table and enough food in the fridge and then the motto is "Help yourself". I show them where everything is and when they get up in the morning it's "do it yourself" And that works very nice everybody feels like home because I am relaxed and not nervous and don't run around like crazy to serve them. When they are gone, then the mess is cleaned up, but not before !
    The plate with the Christmas father is very nice, and I love the poeme about the rocking grandma !

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH I can't wait for that job,, love hte poem and fire flys....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a bit jealous - we don't have lightning bugs here in Oregon - I really don't know why.

    The first time I saw a real live lightning bug I was 23 years old and visiting New Jersey - boy was I surprised and delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2 great poems. The one on old age seems to sum up my last month.

    I recently saw a plastic lattern that looked like a coleman lattern that was for lighting bugs. How cute is that. Better than the old jar we use to use.

    And, isn't retirement wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go you! Great list. You're way lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this post Miz Hootin' Anni!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your grandmother's silence cloths sound lovely!!!

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very creative way to do this week's 10 on Tuesday! I enjoyed it! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A while back the Tuesday 10 was about what jobs you'd like to have. I think my #1-3 were some version of "retired." And #4-10 were other versions of "retired," if I recall correctly. Once again you've given me a lot of smiles, and like others I enjoyed the poems. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

.