“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Oftentimes, when hubby and I trek along the shores of the gulf early Sunday mornings there is hardly another soul to be seen. It's so quiet and so peaceful listening the the tide and the birds singing. Watching the sunrise and enjoying the beauty of it all!

But, yesterday, around our usual walking time, the beaches were quite busy already. Not that I minded...I could watch everyone enjoying the summer morning! There were fishermen and surfers and swimmers and boaters and wildlife; even a couple of kite flyers doing quite well with the ocean breezes! All oblivious to the world and relaxing and just taking in the day and wonderful sunshine and warm waters!! As we walked along several said "Good Morning" as we left our footprints in the sand. It was a great morning walk!



Even a few washed up fish and naturally, as their instincts tell them, the gulls flocked nearby ready to consume the free offerings and in search of edible trash washed up or left behind by others the night before.



The water was not so rough, but still not glassy. The surfers could catch a small wave here and there, but the surf ebbed to a quiet rush under our feet. Little skippers searched for little tidbits as we walked behind them.



One small watercraft along the Channel that takes them out to sea had fishing poles and even their dog perched up on the bow of the boat! They were no doubt going out to soak up the sun and spend a day fishing!! And I silently wished them all the luck in the world...tho, in the back of my mind I was thinking --why go out fishing, when there is all kinds of fresh fish/seafood in the local markets? And besides..

Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to just BUY? When you consider the purchase price of a boat large enough to take out to sea, the tax and license for the craft, the fishing equipment, the gasoline to run it, and to get there...the food, the beverages for snacking while fishing, the bait, the floaters, the yearly fishing license, etc. etc. etc. When all totaled, it would come to a close estimate of over $1,000.00 a year[depending on the initial cost of the boat itself and how long you keep it] to eat a meal bought at a $5.00 @ pound fish sale on the wharf!!

Oh well....TO EACH HIS OWN!!



<><><>



A woman gives birth to twins. She and her husband cannot decide on names. They ask the woman's brother.

The brother said, " I think you should call the girl Denise."

"And the boy?", asked the woman.

"De nephew," said the brother.

8 comments :

  1. hello this morning!! Must be nice to just go and walk on the beach. We have to drive about 45 minutes to get to the ocean here and well my hubby just will not go. If I want to go i just have to take myself!! Oh well. Off to a funeral today...not the best of days..but some things in life you just have to do. Have a great day Anni...Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the reflections of fishing! Here's a thought...I live 12 miles from the White Sands of New Mexico, so we walk and climb the beaches and NO water. It is so unusual for me...a girl who grew up near Lake Erie!!

    Well I think I better go say good morning to my brothers~ Denise, and Denephews!
    Have a great day!
    Jennifer
    penofjen.blogspot.com
    mcbenningschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wonderful, both the beach (*dreamy sigh*)and de nephew! *giggles*

    Wanna have a peek with London eye….?

    London is for your feet as Lifecruiser ship has anchored at Thames….. *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures of the beach were lovely!! I live in Missouri!! So I enjoyed seeing your pictures! and your joke was cute, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for making me smile and I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehehe... well... now... what about the ones who go out catchin' -- and then throw 'em back!? @@ Mus' jus' be fer the fun of it! ;) Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoyed the early morning walk on the beach!

    lol- lets do it again soon!

    Da-Niece & Da-Nephew joke was cute!!


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gday Anni, ohh such a lovely peaceful walk along the beach I can feel the sand between my toes..
    Haha Loved the joke twins De'niece .de'nephew,,,....

    ReplyDelete

.