my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!




If you'd like to blog about something special and show it to blogland...join us over at Kelli's "There is no place like home"!!

It's not a trinket, nor is it antique this week. It's something I made recently and reminisced of a childhood memory.

SHOW~



And TELL~

Thinking about my childhood summer days when I lived in Colorado, and I remembered a few good quality times my dad and I spent together, while my older siblings were busy with their own lives and friends' games and such. You see, I was the youngest, and the next in line was 5 years older than me. So, I was always feeling 'left out', and I think my dad felt sorry for me. But, come one summer, the two of us had one night a week together. After he got home from a hard day, dinner was served and then we walked for ice cream. Me and dad. Yep, we lived within a few blocks of an ice cream parlor, and my dad knew the owners. [This was before we moved farther west into the foothill area of the state - we lived in town at that time.]

Anyway, hand in hand we'd walk the few blocks on a hot, sultry early evening, together, and step in to the shop, walk up to the frozen display cases of all the flavors, and he'd order his...as I ogled all the choices and not being able to make up my mind.

At that age, I wanted to be a lot like my role model, my mom. Her favorite color was pink. One night, with my dad eating his usual cone, I spotted a PINK ice cream. No it wasn't strawberry...in fact it wasn't even ice cream!! It was sherbet. Watermelon sherbet!! I had to try it. So dad ordered me a double scoop dish of Watermelon sherbet! I was in heaven.

After so many years and the summer vacations for me, dad and I would forever go for ice cream. Just me and him. But, like everything that's good ---it didn't last long enough. One summer, the Watermelon sherbet wasn't made any more. Dad was told that it wasn't a 'best seller'. So, alas, I got ice cream cones...sometimes double scoop!! Then, eventually we moved out of town to the foothills west and north of Denver...We still continued our tradition way into my teen years...we'd set aside a night for snacking on ice cream. But, boy, I would give my two ovaries [if I still had 'em] to go back in time and have my Watermelon sherbet with dad at my side!!!


~and an added part --SHARE.

Watermelon Sherbet
1 1/4 cup water
2 cups watermelon juice [with pulp]
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk solids [the 'crystals' or powder with no liquid added]
1 T. - 1 t. lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg whites, beaten stiff

Blend 1/2 cup water and sugar in heavy pan. Heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Meanwhile place 3/4 cup water and lemon juice in mixing bowl. Sprinkle non-fat dry milk solids over the surface and beat until mixture is thick and fluffy. Blend in watermelon juice and crushed watermelon; add syrup. Pour mixture into refrigerator tray and begin freezing. When partially frozen, remove from tray and beat with rotary beater. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Return to freezer until frozen firmly. 12 servings.

<><><>



Appetizer
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how polite are you?

Most times probably 9, but when I'm irked, watch out!! I gave you fair warning!!

Soup
What was the last thing that made you laugh out loud?

Watching a movie last night - "National Treasure" --the sidekick in the movie is hilariously cute...for instance Nicholas Cage says: "And what is the Preservation Room, Riley?" And Riley answers back in a dumbfounded way: "A room full of delicious jams and jellies?" [The preservation room is actually the room from which they're planning on 'stealing' the Declaration of Independence] Guess ya gotta 'see' the movie to appreciate what makes me laugh.

Salad
Who is your favorite cartoon character?
Without a doubt in my mind, I can honestly answer this with a biggo DAFFY DUCK!!! "wabbit season, no, it's duck season...wabbit season!!!!"

Main Course
Tell about the funniest teacher you ever had.

Golly, do you know how long it's been since I've been in school...I couldn't come up with one. Now if you woulda asked my 'favorite'...I could remember that one!! But funniest?.....

Dessert
Complete this sentence: I strongly believe that ______________________.

I strongly believe that "where there's a will, there's a way!"


34 comments :

  1. P. Wilson8/03/2007

    I really like your blog. It's friendly and down home with wonderful writing. This ice cream blog is heart-warming. And I like your Thursday too. Very descriptive and well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering....watermelon is good anyway it's served....

    Thank you for visiting me and taking the time to leave a comment.

    I'm home so come on in......Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. My teachers weren't funny at all that's the only thing I can remember ! They make me think of a funeral. and your dessert is also true !
    Nice your ice eating with your dad, I don't have good memories of my father, he never bothered about me and my mother was certainly not an example ! (BTW she loved green not pink, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watermelon sherbert is just perfect for this time of year.

    Hope you are doing well. Take care.
    Connie
    My show and tell is up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved National Treasure as well :) Happy Friday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad's and ice cream it doesn't get much better then that! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome feast! I love your post about ice cream- it reminds me of my youngest sister, who too is 5+ years behind all of us older siblings :)

    Come on over to my feast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great feast, and as always, thanks for stopping by my own feast.

    Have a good weekend!

    Best -
    Braden

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks yummy. What a special time of sharing with your Dad.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds good. It looks so pretty too.

    I like your blog name! I will come back and look around soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful memory to cherish for ever and ever.
    Dads are pretty incredible aren't they?
    Jennifer

    mcbenningschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your show and tell. That ice cream looks delicious. I will have to copy the recipe.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Feel free to come back anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved your dessert!! Great Feast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMM good.!!! I also have fond memories of when me and my dad when he would make homemade ice cream. He would let me help him turn the crank. That was long before electric Ice Cream makers. Thanks for sharing, it brought back some good memeories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great feast! I like Daffy too. My teacher taught Biology.

    Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Homemade watermelon sherbet...yummmm!
    Loved reading the story about you and your dad spending quality time like that every week:-) The memories I have of my dad while I was a little girl is going fishing with him...I have 4 brothers but I'm the only one who liked getting up early with him to go fishing! lol xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story and a wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy! I love the watermelon taste! Thanks for the recipe :-)

    Daffy Duck is awesome too, very special indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great feast! Love your blog - Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Let's hear it for the good ol' Saturday morning cartoons!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this is my first visit to your blog!I really enjoyed reading about your childhood memory! Some sherbet would taste good right about now!

    You mentioned Riley in "National Treasure". I LOVE him too! and I LOVE that movie. I need to add it to my Favorites on my profile page! I think I've seen ti 3 times already and wouldn't mind watching it again. Have a wonderful summer, what is left of it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your feast is wonderful and I really agree with your desert! Thanks so much for the sherbert recipe and for sharing your memories! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What fond memories of your dad and ice cream. I loved reading that. My dad will be 89 this coming Tuesday!! I loved your feast too. GREAT!! Mine is up today!! Hope your day is going great..Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Miz Hootin' Anni! I loved your S&T the best today...just heartwarming!!
    Thanks so much for sharing your summer memory and a recipe to boot!
    Enjoyed your FF too!
    I know you came by my blog not too long ago but I've been in a funk so sorry I didn't return the visit! I've given myself an attitude adjustment and now all is well on the Bloggin' Front, so come on back if you still wanna!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. ANNI! I thought Pepe Le Pew was your favorite cartoon! I'm so disappointed... *sigh*
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks good, but I just don't like watermelon. You see, when I was about 10 years old, I spent the night at a friend's house and we ate and ate and ate watermelon. I woke up in the middle of the night sick. Really sick! They had to take me home.

    I've never liked it since. Maybe I'll try raspberry or strawberry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thansk for coming by Cherish...the word! today and leaving a comment.

    I really enjoyed your story about your dad and the watermelon sherbert. It helped me remember some times with my dad. He also had a love of ice cream!thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love National Treasure! Great movie. Haven't seen it in awhile so I may have to get it back out.

    Great feast!

    Mine is up...come on over.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What sweet memories with your dad!

    I couldn't come up with a funny teacher, either.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What's up Anni! Great feast. I love your dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well prepared feast, Anni. I really enjoyed it.

    You are invited to the table of my feast.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Woofnderful feastin' here today. Good stuff.

    Come see my doggy bloggy feast.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a precious story. I've never had watermelon sherbert; sounds yummy!
    Blessings,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful Show n tell! The sherbet sounds delicious and the heartwarming story was wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete

.