my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds







Okay, so this morning I have a song playing in my head! One of my favorites. And visions of Barry Manilow are there with the song---

Normally, when I log onto the computer in the early hours of the morning...the first thing I do is read the bylines of the news of the previous evening...to catch up. This morning, I just read a story about the Copacabana in New York City closing last night! Actually, my first reaction was ---"No way! Can't be, that's an American icon, like Rick's Cafe in the movie Casablanca!!" But, with further reading this was its third location already. Well, go figure. I'm actually glad I clicked on the news link....I got to read a bit of history of the place. I always assumed that being a 'landmark place' where in my youth, Mickey Mantle brawled that it would be protected by the 'historical landmark' laws of our land. But...no....it being the 3rd location already; it was at the 2nd location where Dean Martin and the 'rat pack' enhanced with their presence. Who woulda known? Maybe the New Yorkers. But me? Being from the midwest and southwest all my life, I just never knew.

I'm just a farmer's daughter I guess....tho, my dad didn't farm much; my ancestors did --- I was born and he worked for military after my birth without doing much farming other than a huge garden that could feed the neighborhood....the 'farmer's daughter's' blood runs through my veins. And I never realized the historical value of such an establishment.

Seems, according to the news report, the 3rd and last building was condemned by the city of New York. And guess what? To make way for an extension of the subway system. Sometimes, progress makes me angry and sad. These kind of places have a history, a story to tell. And it's like, for me, witnessing an extinction of a beautiful animal. Okay....so that's kinda sappy pro'lly. But I'm still gonna go read much much more on the subject today. And learn a bit more; as much as I can. Who can tell -- in the future I may need all the answers for a trivial pursuit tourney! [did y'all know that his real name --Barry Manilow that is, is Barry Alan Pincus? And his 'stage ' name -Manilow, is his mother's maiden name?]

In the meantime...I'll dive into my swaying of the hips and picture a reggae dancer amongst the palm-adorned dance floors and "see" Lola the showgirl with yellow feathers in her hair!! And Rico. -----At The Hottest Spot North of Havana!!! Before it became a disco!! What? You've never sang and swayed with the song before!!?!

One good thing to read is that the owner has plans of re-opening the new Copacabana by October!!---Along with it comes the trademark tropical palm trees!!!!

Visit the Copacabana
Barry Manilow -Copacabana Lyrics
Manilow's Bio

<><><>

Also, wanted to post a picture of one of the patio hanging plants, my Hoya. It's blooming now. This is a 'slip' from one of my box plants I had in the yard in Tucson. Before we relocated to Texas, I slipped this plant ---moved it in a covered jar with water. Then, potted it once we began settling in our 'new' home. After two years, it's now beginning to show signs of good growth. And this is the first Summer it's bloomed!!



<>*<>

And then, a bit of humor to share ---

* * *





Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite humorous..... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:


1. "Take it easy, Doc. You're boldly going where no man has gone before!


2. "Find Amelia Earhart yet?"


3. "Can you hear me NOW?"

4. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"


5.. "You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married."


6. "Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?"


7. "You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out..."


8. "Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!"


9. "If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!


10. "Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity."


11. "You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?"


12. "God, now I know why I am not gay."


13. "Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?"

<><><>
Today, now that the Bloggers Over 50 blogroll is above 60 members now, I'm gonna spend the time checking all the links in the blogroll to make sure they're still active URLs. :o)
ADDED:11:14a.m. -- only 3 were deleted! Cool.
<><><>

13 comments :

  1. What a beautiful plant!! I am so glad that it is blooming for you!!
    What a joke!! Drive through diagnosis. YOU know sometimes I do that better on myself than the doctors do!! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your "colonoscopy" jokes. What a hoot!
    Thanks for dropping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea check the blogroll I am still (very) active ! I helped TN chick for the photo hunters and she could take 142 people out who hadn't played since May. The destruction of old buildings or special places always hurts me too. We had a beautiful little casle here in Waterloo and what did they do, they destroyed it and only kept the horse stalls where expositions are taking place today. Sometimes I wonder about the content of a politician's brain !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the 'colonoscopy' lines - so funny.

    Thanks for dropping by my place earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't the Copacobana where Ricky Riccardo worked on I Love Lucy too? I met a woman named Lola this week at Curves -- we all started singing that song to her! LOL! (bet she's never heard it before!)

    That Hoya is PRETTY! I've never heard of them before! I always thought Hoya's were bulldogs or something... (sports, ya know?)

    Great jokes too! Have a great day Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh great, you do realize that now I'll be humming Copacobana all day long?? lol Gotta love that song! I had never really heard the history behind that club so now you have me curious...I'll be checking it out after I read the blogs:-) Your plant is just beautiful...I've always said never give up on plants, there's always some life to them even if they look completely dead! lol Loved the colonoscopy jokes...my mom goes for one every 2 years and she says it's not very pleasant at all...I'll take her word for it! hehe xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hootin,
    I lost the 'over 50' icon on my sidebar. Somehow I am having problems uploading pics from my computer...instead it puts in html code and won't appear in my posts.,or the sidebar.I just get a jumble of letters.
    Could u send it to me again...the over 50 icon? Thanks.
    I also don't know how to put the whole list of members on one line. I don't have room to list everybody in a long row. I would like to find out how you can click on a logo and see all the names of the members? Like you have on your blog...if you know what I mean. Sorry, I can't speak computerese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the, Welcome in the Bloggers over 50!!
    I am well over 50!!!
    Your plant is pretty!
    Grams

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matty as promised I deleted your email comment. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I know why I can't stand the thought of a colonoscopy!

    I love hoyas...we have several different varieties here and they grew wonderfully in this climate.

    I haven't heard a Barry Manilow song for years! Now I'm going to have Copacabana in my brain all day! Grrrr...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE that song (and Barry!).

    The colonoscopy jokes are hilarious! I'm sending them to my parents!

    ReplyDelete

.