my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out






In Honor of us women, below is a write up by Erma Bombeck after she learned of her battle ahead of her --cancer!! [autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease]

For me, personally, I always admired Ms. Bombeck. She had a way about her that carried and poured over to us women. I don't know how many times I secretly thought to myself "I'd like to be like her." She had wit of course, but oh so much charm and beauty both inner and outside! People loved her. I know I always looked forward to her humor and her books. They made me laugh, they made me nod in the familiarity, they made me realize life is quite normal...so many things. And all her words gave me an inner peace and an hour or two of happiness knowing that we women tend to 'stick together, thick and thin'!! At one point in my life, Ms. Bombeck lived an hours' drive from where I lived in Arizona. To this day, I kick myself for not going to an open house book signing and meeting an idol of mine in person. Oh how I wish I had.

Erma Bombeck died of complications from the kidney transplant April 22, 1996. She was 69 years old. She is survived by her husband of 47+ years and three children.

During the course of her career, Bombeck published more than four thousand syndicated columns in 900 papers nationwide, wrote 15 best-selling books, and became on of the world's most beloved humor columnists.


IN ERMA BOMBECK'S WORDS~~

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have sat on the lawn! With my grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love you's"; more "I'm sorry's."

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it and never give it back.

STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!

Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what.

Instead; let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.

Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with, and what we are doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, and emotionally. I hope you have a blessed day.


I used to worry 'bout a lot of the stuff Ms. Bombeck mentioned above. I, in my later years, have learned to glance at the dust --or dirt and ignore it....it'll be there tomorrow. I used to stiffen my hair with sprays and lots of 'beauty' concoctions....now, I let the hair do what it will, and blow freely in the breezes--drinking up the freshness of the wind in my face. I don't care these days just who's who and don't fret over someone that doesn't like me. I tend to buy on whims and yet at times feel guilty until I say "I'm worth it." and let it go. Pretty decorative candles? I burn them now myself. Life's too short. Her words are to live by........
....and I, Hootin' Anni, hope your day is blessed too!!

11 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Bombeck columns, too! But I'll still leave the windows rolled up to protect the hair. ;) ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Anni. I came to know Erma when I was only about 13 years old... and I had a fine appreciation for her even back then! I remember I cried on the day that she died... I felt like I had REALLY lost an old friend. And reading this today has made me remember that I NEED to invite friends over -- EVEN with the stains and the dog hair everywhere!
    What a great reminder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that. Erma was wonderful! Yes, as I get older, I tend not to care what people think...and I try to listen more.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anni,

    I loved Erma Bombeck's writing too! I miss her!


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anni

    I, too, admire Ms Bombeck...she but some good old commonsense our way at times, didn't she?

    I have found out, as I get older, that things I used to worry about in the past, just don't bother me know. I think our priorities changes...I know mine have...may be that's something that comes with age. Whatever, I like it.

    Thanks for that post...it's a good reminder of what to do and what not to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Erma Bombeck,too! She could put a smile on your face for sure! Great Post!
    Grams

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this tribute Anni I loved Erma Bombeck too.

    Have a great week.

    Angel ( Angel Mama )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know this lady but she must have been a wonderful woman ! and it's so true what she says even with the "good living room" I also learned to not care about mess or staines and LIVE in that room and don't open it only for guests.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Erma Bombeck. I ahve a few of her books. Good of you to post about her life.

    ReplyDelete

.