my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Yard Colors...

With all the posting I've been doing here of late, I bet you can tell, for the most part, I'm home a lot! Ya, blah, blah, blah. And to think, we have three more months of this inferno. Well, maybe by August at least, the air might be drying out some. One can only hope.

My epiphylums have been going absolutely berserk this year for some reason. A virtual blossoming bonanza. Even one morning, early, [they're night bloomers] when I went outside to water my potted plants on the patio, there were FIVE blossoms blooming at one time. I'm lucky if there are two blooming, but that day...five?!!! The back yard had such a wonderful fragrance!! The blossoms have a mixture of sandalwood and cinnamon...light and very pleasing. Nothing overly-sweet or over-powering. For the last several days I've been making a record of the 6" blossoms:




Our two large crepe myrtles in the front yard along the driveway are top heavy with blossoms!!




...and the crepe myrtle [hybrid] called strawberries and cream in the back yard is coming into bloom now, too!



Then, purple, oranges and reds and yellows, green vine and more yellow....



The purple is one of my favorites, the Duranta. I love how the blossoms cascade down the bush. [It can be invasive and needs trimming back often, but still pretty]. Then, the vine growing up the side of the garage door; it's a trumpet vine that got frozen to the ground last winter with the 26 degree overnight temps. It's about 6 years old, planted from seeds and has NEVER bloomed. I don't know what to do to get it to bloom. I planted the seed in hopes of attracting hummingbirds.  If anyone of you bloggers has a secret to get it to bloom for me, I'll appreciate any input/suggestions!!  The red/orange/yellow blossom is the Mexican Bird of Paradise and the all yellow 'bell' blossoms is my Esperanza bush. A lot of hibiscus [both in the ground and potted on the patio] and bougainvillea plants also got frozen last winter and are finally showing new growth...but if they bloom this year, I'll be surprised.  The gardenia and lantana bloomed very little, as with my tombstone rose.

36 comments :

  1. Actually, I never thought of you staying home a lot. You take so many long walks! Walks I could never even do a fraction of! Your Epiphylums are gorgeous! Wild and exotic looking. Your Esperanza has gorgeous big yellow blooms and the Mexican Bird of Paradise is amazing! I have never seen either of these. Nor have I seen a Duranta, it is deeply colored and gorgeous! Such a beautiful royal purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...if I had my druthers I'd be out every day. Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  2. Such gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Annni, all your blooms and flowers are lovely. The white epiphylums are beautiful. I wish I could smell their scent, sounds heavenly. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come down in early june...

      Thanks Eileen, & have a terrific weekend yourself!

      Delete
  4. I love those pretty white flowers and your description of their smell makes me almost smell them myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice soothing fragrance.

      Delete
  5. One thing is for sure, here in SW Florida it is indeed an inferno. My first summer in the south. But wonderful for anything that grows. 100 percent humidity. But no break until the middle of October as I recall last fall when I came down. Lovely pics as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya...I am sure your weather is quite like ours here on the coast of Texas. But I will take heat/humidity any day compared to 6+ months of snow/ice in colorado!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Anni, your garden is a blooming sight *grin* I can just imagine the fragrances in the air...... We are in the firm grasp of a vEry brown winter, lifeless, bare, at opposite ends of the spectrum. Enjoy your garden and a happy weekend ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter can be pretty too! Happy weekend to you too ms.v

      Delete
  7. I feel somewhat envious of your ability to grow such beautiful flowers! They must like heat and wet! Happy that you have such a nice assortment to enjoy. Wonderful eye candy! (I wish I could smell their fragrance.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...most are subtropical/tropical plants

      Delete
  8. Hello Anni!:) The heat is keeping me indoors too, but your flowers seem to be thriving in your hot conditions, and are truly beautiful. The Epiphyllums blooms are magnificent, but all your plants are lovely,...such vivid colours,...a treat to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ms. S .... all your compliments are appreciated. Stay cool. Or at least cooler than outdoors. :0)

      Delete
  9. Flowers can be such a crap shoot! Yours are lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Your yard is full of beautiful flowers and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Just gorgeous! I love that epiphylum and the Duranta too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you enjoyed my colors today Mari.

      Delete
  12. What a blooming bonanza you certainly have! Gorgeous. The white flower was fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim...and thanks for visiting with me today.

      Delete
  13. HAHA...like you I have been home a lot also. But you know, I am okay with that. It is starting to get hotter here and since I can't take the heat I stay out of it. Beautiful pics. Waiting on my crape myrtles to bloom. I have a pink and a red one. My red one has only been around for 4 yrs this yr. It bloomed last yr but not much so I am hoping it bust out out bloom this yr. Take care and enjoy the colors of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a red one myself. Maybe sometime I'll get out to the nursery and find one to plant.

      Delete
  14. Wow, so many pretty flowers in your yard. The white ones are gorgeous and I bet that scent is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so subtle that you can enjoy the fragrance and still remain outdoors without getting a scent headache if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  15. We had a nice rain and is cooler today. I'm wondering if you got that down Corpus way. Your flowers are very pretty, your thumb must be green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no rain! Not in our area of town anyway. I'm bummed.

      Delete
  16. I am almost embarrassed to say this, but I had to look up these names of flowers. I had heard one of them but couldn't remember what it was...

    Beautiful images...

    And wanted to thank you for the lovely comment on my blog this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for visiting, Rose!!

      Delete
  17. all the flowers are wonderful, the night bloomer is stunning and I LOVE the bricks and vines shot... we are hot humid and misery out side, pretty much like you but we do have rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has threatening rain...but nada, zilch, NOTHING. Yet.

      How are you doing...relaxing a bit now? Is your husband home from the surgery?

      Delete

.