“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






TROPICAL Heat WAVE & Rushing Water


source: C C Local News


Photo taken by me through the cellphone at Parking Lot looking toward the city where the heavy rains fell


Washed-out Bridge crossing brook that was flooded & running torrents of water through the park, downtown.
It's now loose and washed up against a tree!!


We've had a few heavy rains this past week, [June 1st, 2017], scattered here and there, and when I went walking over the weekend, I was surprised that very little water on the islands had accumulated. I guess that the city got a lot more flooding, heavy downpours, than the islands did. But when and where I took my walk, it was good to see some water [tho little] on the salt flats at Charlie's Pasture boardwalks [I walked both south pasture and north pasture with two other short stops in between]. Let me tell you...by Charlie's Pasture North [my last stop to walk the trail] it was getting very hot...like a sauna, a tropical heat wave!!  Just a couple of weeks ago, this area was bone dry!!! It may look deep, but trust me, it's only about ankle deep if that much. If the storms don't continue to come in, it will soon evaporate!!




Along another path, at Packery Channel Park, I spotted this plant. Now I've seen it bloom many times over, but I never ever saw the fruit! And from what I read on the internet, wikipedia, the fruit is edible. I guess there are many names, and its origins are Africa. They do well in salty air...so good for here along the coastal regions of Texas. One name it goes by is the Natal Plum. I took three images of different stages of the fruit in the bushes...


Green...to partially ripened, to a beautiful red apple colored ripe plum!! I don't know if I'm really ready to 'try it for the first time tho'.


And yet one more area I walked this week was the Oso Bay Wetlands park. Now, there IS A BAY at the end of one trail, and there are MANY trails. But, mostly they are meandering through desert chaparrals. While walking, I met up with another birder. Ironically we talked small talk and the conversation led to how we became interested in bird watching. She told me [now this is the ironic part --- ready? She used to watch cardinals in her backyard as a child...in Nebraska, where she was born. I was born just about 50-60 miles from where she was born! My guess is, we were quite close in age also. Wait...there is more! Her name is Annie [spelled with an 'e' on the end]. Anyway, I left her behind, 'cause I walk at a much faster pace...I explored most all the trails and found that the city built a new boardwalk there, along with added resting benches from several weeks back. I had noticed the benches the last time I was there, but never got around to sharing them. Several of them and most are nestled under the shade of trees, along all the pathways ...






The last few times I've been out walking/birding, I've spotted many birds. The migrants have left for the most part, and what remains are the year 'round resident birds. Speaking of birds, I finished reading The Genius of Birds. Excellent book. I recommend it to any one interested in how birds 'think' and the use of their brains and instincts. A review can be found on my photography blog [top menu link] or at my book review blog [sidebar link].  Lastly, a couple of things...on the days of the storms, I naturally stayed home.  I read and finished one book; started another as I just stated.  Also, while at Charlie's Pasture I spotted a juvenile Little Blue Heron.  As adults, they're shades of blue with a mauve colored head, and greenish legs.  From a distance, if  you see a blue beak tipped in black, it's a sure sign it's a Little Blue.  BUT!!!  The juveniles are white.  With blue splotched feathers with dark legs and feet.  They're unusual, and pretty at the same time....I got home and sketched it from my photos I took [as shown here].   You really can't have a mistaken ID on this 1st year plumage 'cause there is none other like it...






27 comments :

  1. Well, when it rains, it pours! What a lovely meeting with that lady!! And I had no idea about these heron facts. that beak is really something! I have not seen a little blue. Your sketch is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW on those first pictures of the flooding. Rain is good but not when you get that much at once.
    It really is a small world isn't it. Pretty cool that you met Annie while you were there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it's been a bit messy here. 😊

      Delete
  3. Amazing coincident with that fellow birder, Anni. (My autocorrect always tries to add an "e" to you name, too.) Glad you got rain but hope it doesn't keep up to any more flooding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too...I finally 'added to dictionary' option without the 'e'.

      Delete
  4. wow, all that flooding is news to me. I did not see anything on the news about it. I see a police car seeking. I wish the news would drop the number 45 stuff and show us what is happening in our states.. at least I did not know and have to fret if you were ok... we are getting badly needed rain right now but not like this. we got 2 inches 2 days ago and the grass and trees are waving there arms and really green....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to read you're getting some much needed rain!

      Delete
  5. our heat wave will come when the rain leaves, like a steam bath

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, that is some heavy rain woes there! We've finally been able to put the jackets and rain hats away, for now. In the 80's again today. But life is grand no matter what, right! I just adore your opening quote and the owl, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...no matter how things seem, it can always be worse.

      Delete
  7. Lots of rain + heat = sauna!
    You certainly get in a lot of walking! I love the sketch.
    Isn't it amazing how we become interested in certain somethings and they become part of who we are? While I love nature, I don't think my brain is big enough to hold a fraction of all the knowledge you have of birding! It seems I know a little about a lot of things not only a lot of a few things.....and actually not even a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...walking makes me feel good all day long, & helps me sleep better

      Delete
  8. We have had a lot of rain. Thank goodness it absorbs into the lake and the countryside. Wonder why we never heard about your flooded area...The wooden benches are very nice and I sure will look for more information about the Natal Plum! Nice sketch!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flooding for now recedes quickly. So far.

      Delete
  9. First of all...wow! That's a lot of rain! Especially after such a dry spell. Loved seeing the African plum fruit! I bet it's delicious too. And how cool was that running into another Nebraska Anni(e)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting about how you lived so close to each other and now met by chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting that you ran into the lady. Funny how things like that happen in life. We have had similar flooding that I hope is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was beginning to think we were going to have MORE rain for a while today...but it petered out.

      Delete
  12. Wow - that was quite the sky and a lot of rain that fell!
    Very cool to run into another birder, and even an Annie!
    I love your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming home from a doctor's appointment yesterday, you should've seen THAT sky. Ominous.

      Delete
  13. Do I see a money van in one of the pics with the door open? heh heh..... We finally have the rains here in SW Florida... now flooding.. wow.. I hear the Hudson river outside NYC in over flowing its banks. So mother nature is really doing her thing now. Just a reminder to click on one of the pics and one get the whole set in a larger format. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe that IS an armored truck. Yep, enlarging photos....blogger calls it something light effect. Can't remember the term now. Figures.

      Delete
  14. Wow, You live in such close to the sea!The locals must have been relieved that the storms did not stay long!
    Impressive! Your sketch is powerful.
    Have a good new week. I am not fast in English. Just one of my hobbies.

    ReplyDelete

.