my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Sunday Morning Breakdown....Part I


The short term drought finally ended on Sunday night. But the street-flooding storm that moved through our area most likely put a damper on those that had plans of Memorial Day Celebrations. Early in the morning, before the storm front moved in, I decided to take my 10K walk along the entire Seawall that is on the shoreline of the city. I kinda figured the island highway would be filled with traffic jams as most revelers would want to 'hit the beaches' for the holiday weekend. The boulevard that runs along the coast line is named Shoreline Blvd...residents here call it Shoreline Drive or just plain Shoreline, but the street signs say differently - shoreline boulevard. ...Potayto pahtahto...

I began my walk at the fountain near the north end of town at the art museum, and walked southward toward the end of the walkway about a mile and a half away from me...a 3+ mile walk round trip -about 4 miles actually since I cut down People's Street to the shrimp boat docks in the marina.  All in 90% humidity with temps in the mid 80s at that hour.   Already, at 7 a.m. there were many joggers, walkers, bikers 'hitting the trail'. It was overcast, and as I stated, quite humid. I brought my camera with me in hopes to share my walk along the way. The sun tried to break through the clouds the entire way, but didn't accomplish much...






Several Gazebos, called Miradors [mirador del mar, meaning "sea watchers"] line the walkway. I've often made use of these when looking for rare sea birds or watching the shrimp boats returning to the marina with their morning catch. On a hot, summer day, they are a relief in the shade with the light sea breeze flowing through!


Less than half way to the end, I deviated a bit on my course. I crossed to the grassy median that dissects  the street. Here, there are a few bronze sculptures along the way, and small park-like areas of which some have paved walkways that meander through the cypress trees and a few benches scattered here and there, along with a small art gallery and bistro...







By the time I reached the end near the beach area nestled between a large hotel and the seawall, the Sunday Services for the many churches that line the bluff -uphill from Shoreline Blvd- were beckoning the parishioners, and it was really getting quite warm. I turned around and headed back to finish my walk and find the car parked, waiting for me to get in and cool off as I drove back home...

...MORE PHOTOS TO FOLLOW

32 comments :

  1. O.K., you have me on the edge of my seat!! First of all, I don't know how in the world you managed this walk, what with the heat and humidity! You must have lots of stamina!! Love the gazebos, there is one here a few blocks away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...maybe more stupidity than stamina. lol

      Delete
  2. Beautiful place to walk your 4 miles I love the lamp post and I love the big fish the swordfish and I love that last statue. Walking in 90% humidity is really hard that's what we're having here and one day we had 97% humidity our feels like temp has been 100 and 105 and the only time to walk is early a.m. like you did

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do well in humidity, but that's one reason I could never live there. It's beautiful, though, and I'm glad I can experience it through you without the heat! I look forward to hearing more about the flood event. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like it either when it's hot! Even when it is cold, high humidity can be bone chilling.

      Delete
  4. That's a beautiful walk (despite the heat) with lots to see.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking us along on your walk, I really enjoyed all your pics. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure have areas to explore and walk. BUT! I could never take that heat and humidity. The lamp shot is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not fond of humidity either, but it's better than fighting the eternal snow in the Rocky Mountains. lol

      Delete
  7. I'd love to have a walkway like that....at least it was cloudy...already getting too hot to walk much outside here....
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....the cloud cover helps. Plus the sea breeze if there is any.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful walk. You sure have a wonderful place to explore and take these lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you went along with me Brenda.

      Delete
  9. I could deal with the heat but the humidity gets to me any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll deal with the humidity instead of scooping snow any day.

      Delete
  10. Hello, this was a fun post, and the evening shots are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, but if you were here in the evening, I wasn't with you. lol [all daylight shots...just overcast]

      Delete
  11. I find that kind of humidity exhausting! I do love your pictures and those gazebos. We had flash flooding this past holiday weekend and it messed up all kinds of plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, the storms moved into YOUR area too then, huh? Yep, spoiled a lot of plans for some.

      Delete
  12. The walk and the sights look interesting,but that humidity would do me in for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good place to walk...no muddy trails from rain. lol

      Delete
  13. Such a pretty walk! But I would wilt in that heat and humidity! I love the gazebos and that statue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I easily melt away in the humid air...but it's better than below freezing, icy, winters.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the walk about... always enjoy the pics....I don't know how so many work outside in this heat.. guess one gets use to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....Bud and I mow the grass [and edge the lawn]...takes us about 1/2 hour. And the sweating and no-comfort zone is quick to arise. An 8 hour day doing work outdoors? No, not me.

      Delete
  15. Another nice picture post. Thanks for asking about my health recently. My platelets were up to 66 from 35. I'm thankful for small favors. The doctor is letting me go a month without seeing him if I can make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's promising news!! I hope you CAN go a month without seeing him...and the number has improved some.

      Delete
  16. It's always interesting to see what other people see on their walks. Wouldn't it be fun to crawl up that one bendy tree. Look who is talking so brave. I even get dizzy standing on a chair to screw in a light bulb. But the thought still looks like fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't like heights either.

      Delete

.