“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






If You Build it ... They Will Come

Recording by my cellphone:

After viewing the crocodile behavior for a bit, another activity caught my roving eye. A Common Gallinule [aka Moorhen] was working hard at getting her nest to be 'just right'...




Nesting Facts [courtesy of Cornell Ornithology Lab]
Clutch size:  3-15 eggs
Egg color:  speckled:  gray or buff
Chicks:  born with eyes open

...from wikipedia search:
Name:  Common Gallinule -but- This species was formerly called the Common Moorhen and is closely related to moorhen species in the Old World.  The term [name] is from Latin - Gallinula, roughly speaking  “chicken,” from gallīna “hen”

...Anni's Point of View:
Obviously, being that its name means chicken, the chicken came first!!!!!!   And I'm not yolking!!

26 comments :

  1. Ha Ha!! I don't like them anymore after you told us that they drown their babies. Even if they are great nest makers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...not drowning, tousling. And that was the American Coot, not the Moorhen [but they probably do the same tho, since they lay so many eggs]

      Delete
  2. Ha Ha, you're sharp today *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a roll! Soon, I'll be crossing the road to get to the other side. lol

      Delete
  3. MADe me laugh and that's no yolk! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was expecting to see a gator nest... LOL.. sweet little moorhen. I am no spring chicken so will just wing it on this comment... when I read Ginny's comment I thought, she just doesn't like fowl play....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd call fowl, but you did already!! lol

      Delete
  5. Oh how adorable!!! Love this sweet bird. And your "yolk" at the end was pretty cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hoot to watch her....some where so big in size, almost over-powering her.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your video!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know you enjoyed it Aritha!

      Delete
  7. Its so cute that they are so particular with building their nest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, great video of the Moorhen and her nest. Love the funny point of view! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Eileen. Have a special, peaceful holiday weekend.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful video and classic post of a true 'birder' ~ thanks,

    Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating chance to see the moorhen building her nest. Enjoyed your video

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni!:) I loved seeing the video clip of the Common Gallinula/ Moorhen, making her nest. In Portuguese the word for hen is Galinha, so as you say, the chicken came first!!:) I'm sorry I'm always tardy in commenting, and linking up, but the family come for lunch every Sat, and like the chicken they come first!!:=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sounds of the little birds.

    ReplyDelete

.