“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





A Walk on the "WILD"life Side....

Now through September of 2017 our city's Botanical Gardens have a new display along the trail. At the end of the last Nature's Brushstrokes [local art] exhibit in September of this year,  there is currently a new exposé throughout the Nature Trail; it's of "Wildlife in Focus"...featuring 150 winning photos. of you guessed it...wildlife in Texas. Bud and I perused the trail to view them this past week.  Each canvas board has photos and explains scientific -of interest- points about the state's existing and photographed subjects.  For instance...



Photos explain clearly how camouflage is nature's protection!!....

How Many Moths Can YOU Find?
Can You See The  Spider?

...Birds and Tortoises





Lizards and Iguanas can be seen here also...


TEGU

Black and White Argentine Lizards [Tegu] to be more specific. And Iguanas of different colors. I took several photos since the lighting was pretty good that day. I also tried to get pictures of the Tegu with its colorful pink tongue. All I can say is I accomplished that...at least kinda-sorta:  Keep in mind they're all caged...



IGUANAS



Besides all this activity to see, there ARE plants, along with trees, cactus gardens, rose gardens, butterfly gardens, an orchid house, bird feeders, ponds and gazebos and sculptures throughout, tho this time of year the flowers still bloom, they are not as abundant as Springtime and Summer months...




Lastly, something I learned about, but only researching what it was AFTER we got home...

Puss Moth Caterpillar
The Puss Moth [aka 'asp']. This one is new to me. I've never heard of this moth, nor the caterpillar until this week when I found one when we were out walking the Botanical Gardens Grounds.  After viewing the tortoises Bud and I began our retreat to the parking lot to leave.  Along a wall, I spotted this inch long ball of hair that was slowly climbing upward!!  Actually, thinking "How cute!" I stopped to watch it....resisting touching it.  Thank Goodness!!!!  You see, the Puss Moth caterpillar is the most venomous caterpillar in the United States.  - their peak season ends in November. Great balls of fire....I didn't even realize that caterpillars, any of them, are poisonous.  Live and Learn.  So, if you're ever in the outdoors from Maryland to Texas...beware....






To all Americans...have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!!!

40 comments :

  1. Love the colorful birds and the iguana is amazing as well.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni!:) The Wildlife In Focus event looks like a lot of fun, and your shares are amazing. Loved seeing, but only just, the camouflaged moths and spider, and the fantastic image of the Iguana, although all your critter images are great. I didn't know that Moth Caterpillars could be poisonous, and googled for more info about the Puss Moth Caterpillar, and boy o boy it's venom is really toxic, sometimes causing someone to go into shock or have seizures, I'm so glad you weren't tempted to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I read, the toxin reaction is immediate to all humans. Yes, I'm glad I didn't touch it. lol

      Delete
  3. I need to look up new words to say when I see our photographs because I know you are sick of amazing and awesome and stunning, all three fit your photos today. I just love the cammo spider shot.. what a great idea those boards are, the javelin mouth is just wild and crazy. I had no idea caterpillars could be poison although I did find out black fuzzy ones can sting the instep of your foot. it is difficult to pic a favorite today but number 24 is a super shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sandra...and just your visiting is what I enjoy. I like #23, the one above in the shadows. LOL

      I'm wondering if that camouflaged spider is toxic?

      Delete
  4. Wow! That puss caterpillar does invite a pet, doesn't it? And I love all your animal pictures. About that water treatment plant, there are nests everywhere around the plant in the high trees. I know you would have known which ones and where! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yep....I would've spent a long time there with my binoculars to be sure.

      Delete
  5. You DO know how fortunate you are, correct? What opportunities to explore and learn. OH! and teach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni you really need to submit your photos to Nat Geo or a similar magazine for everyone to enjoy. Gorgeous
    thank you for sharing each with us.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you,your B and Tahoe from
    Madi, my B and me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M&M....happy thanksgiving to you all too!

      Delete
  7. You taught me something today, too. I had no idea about this caterpillar, or that any were poisonous. Usually poisonous critters have very bright warning colors that say "stay away". Wonderful pictures, especially the close up of the tortoise head. I found the spider right away, because I have spider radar. But the moths! I simply could not find any! Then I came back to it and found one big one! I think the lizards cage shadows really add to the pictures and make them somehow more moody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your reference to 'stay away striking colors'!!!

      As for the moth cammo photo, I found two!!!

      Delete
  8. Lovely shots - but it's sad to see the animals behind bars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the signage. Old guys like me can read them even. I love all the lizards but holy Toledo a venomous caterpillar!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...for 67 years, I didn't even KNOW a venomous caterpillar existed.

      Delete
  10. Wow, wow and more wow. Enjoyed all the photos. That caterpillar is pretty amazing looking. I would be tempted to reach out and touch it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Please, do not touch". rofl

      Delete
  11. I've always admire cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard of that caterpillar. Glad you didn't touch it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of neat pictures and info. here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed them Paula

      Delete
  14. Interesting pictures and facts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those camouflaged creatures are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you find the moths? I had a heckuva time seeing them. At first.

      Delete
  16. Marvelous photography ~ lovely post ~ thanks.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much to see! This looks like a fun place to visit at different times of year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never heard of that moth caterpillar. Thanks for the alert as I am in its range. Love all your photos!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could not see one moth...LOL... but a great series of photos Anni.... Happy Thanksgiving...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Michelle!!

      Delete

.