my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


The TULE-ees

In our area, and within the small fishing village of Rockport Texas, the term TULE is somewhat common. Tule, meaning bulrush [or cattail-like]. On the outskirts of Corpus Christi, we have TULE Lake. In Rockport there is TULE Creek. On Monday morning, we drove to Rockport and walked along the Tule Creek Bike/Hike Path in search of some migrant birds...Fall Migration has begun.


Saturday morning, we actually had another nice rainstorm lasting about an hour. Heavy at times, gentle other times. Either way, much needed! But, the rain in the area made the day after and the day after that a bit too sultry. In other words, the bird activity comes up a bit short. Oh well, I got over 10K steps which is also much needed because of the long hot summer. I heard birds in the Live Oak Forest and the swamps more than I sighted in on birds. From this area...Tule Creek Bike Path on the west side of the highway, I heard a White Eyed Vireo, saw White Winged Doves and Inca Doves. I spied a new species that I haven't recorded in photo - a flycatcher. So, again, birding in this area wasn't too productive other than the new one.

Here's what we encountered [after the west side, we went across the highway to the EAST Tule Swamp...photos of that side of town will be down the blog post some]- - -


At the Kiosk


Along the Trail

Tho the temperature soared quickly, in the shade along the pathway, when the tree line broke somewhat, the clouds against the deep blue sky were so very pretty!




- - -

By the time we returned to the parking lot, I was short on my step count by over a thousand steps, so we ventured across the highway to the EAST Tule Swamp and walked there to scope out the bird life...



Seeing a few birds, kingbirds, doves, mockingbirds, egrets, white ibis, and sparrows, we spotted some flora also along with other wildlife...


A Brown Lizard [anole] at the Gazebo


Orange - Trumpet Vine Blossom Buds * Purple - Beauty Berry Bush

...still the clouds were 'heavenly'!!



I walked only the elevated boardwalk and turned around to head toward the oak trees where the car was. Before getting into the open heat of the sun, in the shade of a willow tree, I spied a group of House Sparrows in a small pool and watched their antics...




...bathing!


We stopped to have lunch nearby, headed to the local book store by the bay and then headed home. Between Rockport and Corpus Christi, about the time we hit the exit toward Gregory Texas, I spied another phenomenal cloud formation. I was awed and took the photo with my cellphone camera while we were driving at 75 MPH!!!


It was a gorgeous, very warm, day. A nice break from reading my book and working on Irene's OZ wreath, of which I'm about to begin another day of working on it.  Today, the door and the broom...I don't do too much 'cause I work in the garage.  Even tho a fan is in there, the heat is close to unbearable so not much gets done at once..

60 comments :

  1. bob is waiting for it to cool off enough he can work in the garage. even with the door up it is unbearable, the humidity is killer. that last 75 mph shot of the sky is just Spectacular!!! I just love the little birds taking a bath. we are getting the type rains you described almost every day and expecting it for the next 7 days as far as we can see. better than hurricanes though. but we are ready for a cool front. Your Texas cousins to our brown anoles look just like their Florida cousins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, anoles.

      And it's been so humid. How humid has it been? It's so humid the hummers are sweating.

      Delete
  2. congrats on all those STEPS. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great walk! I am in total love with the clouds. I have a thing for skies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last cloud picture is really spectacular!! Hard to believe you were going so fast, I am very impressed! Rain always clears the sky and makes it so brilliant. Love the cutie sparrow baths. I also love the cute lone sparrow portrait, and the lizard. Aren't Beauty Berries spectacular? I have only seen them once, but took plenty of pictures. So, a real swamp? We have relatives who live near The great Dismal Swamp and the whole area smells. Does this one? Bingo! You went with your first thought and were RIGHT. I had to give a wink and a nod to the transgender situation, and you got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad to read about the transgender thoughts. That's the first thing I thought of when you mentioned bathrooms. lol What fun.

      Delete
  5. Wow Anni what a stunning and breathtaking post! The photos as always you get 100++++++
    Please send us some rain
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. You saw and photographed some real beauty on your hot walk (and fast drive ;>)! Thanks for sharing it. We use the word tule here in the PNW too, and there is also a Tule Lake near Klamath Falls Oregon, but I've certainly met people who don't know it.

    We stayed in Rockport/Fulton one season, when we were unable to get in across the water. I enjoyed it a lot -- same birding places and it was fun to walk down to the water to watch the shrimp and oyster boats come in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You musta been here recently then, the East Tule Creek Swamp area is new by just a couple of years I believe. Too bad I didn't know that, we could've met.

      Thanks Sallie.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic pictures once again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the clouds, especially that last one, and the birds playing in the water. My step counter also gets me to take the long way around in order to reach my step goal for the day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, me too...of course I take smaller steps so I have to calculate the difference in averages from the app. It works out fine tho.

      Delete
  9. Glad you were able to get your steps in. The house sparrows must have been fun to watch playing in that water.
    You asked if Gibbs went with me walking. He has in the past but now when I'm walking further it's too much for him especially if it's hot. He goes if I'm doing a shorter walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that about Gibbs...don't wanna tire him out too much!! But when he does go with you, I bet he enjoys the outing.

      Delete
  10. This is a beautiful area and it also looks like a great place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is....a wonderful area. If only it was much cooler. LOL

      Delete
  11. Oh Anni - you are blessed with such beauty around you. I've always liked Texas because of the things it stands for, but after seeing all you photos, I appreciate it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a song...dunno just how it goes, but there is one line in it [several times] "God Blessed Texas". lol

      Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  12. A great taste of Texas and its natural beauty. I sure would like to see the last picture of clouds in 3D! You are so fortunate to be able to walk about and see so many exciting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a LOT of areas here and so many close by: within a 30 minute drive.

      Delete
  13. When I was down in Wilderness last week, I saw for the 1st time, the Knysna Lourie, muted green with longish tail and fan on the head, then it took flight, and from underneath it's black with bright red edges on the wings and tail feathers.... wOw.
    .......we are stIll remodeling, taking it's time.. ETA March next year. But I'm still loving it all *smiles* the 'reward' is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the time taken to fix it up the way you want it...it WILL be well worth it all.

      And the bird...omgoodness!!!

      Delete
    2. G'mornin Anni, oh, locals say the appearance of the Loerie heralds Spring *grin*
      And mY sister lives in Namibia, central region.....

      Delete
    3. Awwww, Springtime. That to me sounds wonderful. It's been way too long for 'good, comfortable, weather'! :-)

      Delete
  14. Hello, what adventures, bravo, and thanks for bringing us along, it was just a pleasure. I thought of you today when I posted a beloved wooden owl on my blog. Take good care and here's to many more adventures about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it!!! I see it!!!! And it's fantastic Karen...glad you mentioned it. I may have missed it all together.

      Delete
  15. Hello, Anni! Looks like a great place for birding. The sky looks awesome, especially the last photo. Happy Thursday, enjoy your weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...hope you enjoy your Thursday and days ahead Eileen.

      Delete
  16. a new word to me. thank you! adorable lizards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. T...and thanks for hosting!!

      Delete
  17. you have so many great places for walking! those purple berries are such a pretty shade of purple! great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call it magenta?!! LOL

      Thanks Tanya.

      Delete
  18. Those purple berries sure did pop out - never seen any like that before. What an absolutely stupendous series of photos. The bridge looked ready sturdy and new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's about a year old [the boardwalk]...the bridge spanning the tule creek is about 4 maybe 5 years old.

      Delete
  19. Great pictures...and a wonderful place to walk!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful place to take a walk - love the bathing sparrows and those incredible clouds! Wow! You must be so looking forward to fall and the cooler weather. Can't wait to see the wreath. xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I am....Autumn doesn't get here soon enough for me most years. But it's the price we pay for having such wonderful, mild, winters.

      Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  21. What a lovely area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is....ESPECIALLY when there are a lot of water birds which weren't around that day. lol

      Delete
  22. Some very nice shots😃

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of great stuff here. Loved the Purple Berries, The cute little sparrows, the amazing cloud formations & of course "good fences."

    ReplyDelete
  24. We've had some welcome rain too but it is SO humid. I walked a short walk last night and felt drenched when I came in. Love those little birds bathing! And I like the way your photos are in a collage. I'd like to try that. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean...the sweat just pours out of me like the flood gates were opened with the humidity!!

      As for the collage...it isn't. I just add them to the blog in HTML only making the size come up with images 'floating' together to LOOK like a collage.

      Thanks Diane.

      Delete
  25. You live in a fascinating area. I am impressed with how many bird species you identified on your walk, and especially love your photos of the house sparrows! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. As always, your photos are so beautiful and the info is fabulous...thanks so much for sharing your part of the country with us.

    Regarding the flour tortilla to make sopapillas...the secret to making them puff is to hold them under the hot oil for a few seconds and they will puff up so pretty....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I only use tortillas for a 'quickie' sopapillas, usually I make the dough and have them...they're so much better.

      Thanks BJ

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. Thanks Jim - I bet you say that to ALL you visit. You're too kind.

      Delete
  28. Beautiful skies, lots of steps, and some great photos! Sounds like a very productive Saturday AM!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That last cloud picture was amazing, even at such a high speed (car vs. film). - Margy

    ReplyDelete

.