MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Can We Talk? ...

...INSECTS

While walking another trail a few days back, I came upon this; a DUNG BEETLE. I bet you never thought you'd be reading about a bug of famed manure rolling on this blog, now, did you? Well surprise!!!


And I will even tell you this image I took of it laboring to get the roll of poop to its underground chamber; the beetle is a male. How do I know? Online research. The male dung beetle has a horn atop the center of its head. The female probably awaits for him to return home from rush hour traffic to either lay the egg in the ball of cow pies for nourishing her young'un, or perhaps a romantic interlude awaits the roving dear man. Upon closer look, it seems he's drinking while driving. They suck the moisture. And no doubt, it's a bit fermented like fine wine!! Gives a whole new meaning to getting juiced!!

Now, for some facts:
  1. The individual strength record goes to a male Onthophagus taurus dung beetle [a large scarab], which pulled a load equivalent to 1,141 times its own body weight. In human terms, that would be like a 150 lb. person pulling 80 tons!

  2. A recent study showed that dung beetles use their dung balls to cool off. Around noon, when the sun is at its peak, dung beetles will routinely climb atop their dung balls to give their feet a break from the hot ground.

  3. New research confirmed that at least one species of African dung beetle, Scarabaeus satyrus, uses the Milky Way as a guide to steering its dung ball home.

  4. For most dung beetles, not just any poop will do. Many dung beetles specialize on the dung of particular animals, or types of animals, and simply will not touch the poo of other critters. [don't worry....the dung is more plant refuse than anything else]

  5. At the University of Nebraska suggests dung beetles may be most attracted to omnivore excrement, since it provides both nutritional value and the right amount of odor to make it easy to find.


Oh, and if you're wondering about my expertise and exceptional knowledge on the subject....Actually, I Googled all this crap.



41 comments :

  1. I did not know there were any in this country! Texas just has a bit of everything! What a good picture you have got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud said the very same thing....he thought they were only in Africa. Go figure. Thanks Ginny

      Delete
  2. Did you take him home? lol What an eye you have! I had never heard of these beetles. Very interesting!
    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie!! I haven't seen you in a while...hope all is well.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know any of this! How fascinating. Now I want to know more about these creatures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick around D J....guarantee to learn something here at Hootin' Anni's! [rofl]

      Delete
  4. Yuck bugs! Sorry. After my initial shudder it was interesting to read your facts about this fellow.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....bugs...yuck!! I agree.

      Delete
  5. Nope, never thought we would, but then again stranger things have happened, and your play with words was just a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and perhaps getting more strange with time. LOL

      Delete
  6. OK, now we need to find someone to produce a new TV show called Are you Smarter than a Dung Beetle... I had no idea about any of this and they sure are smart and just a tad UGLY. LOL.... what a find. and I love it when I find something that I can hunt and peck to find info... I am thinking the smart ones would like Jaked dog poop because it would really be easy to smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL on the Jake Poop!!

      Delete
  7. Amazing that you actually saw one in person. And amazing that it was the male doing the work instead of the female.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That indeed is amazing!!! Males...working....what a concept. [kidding]

      Delete
  8. Hi Anni... interesting information. Yes, I have seen the dung beetles here in Texas, but did not even think about doing research on them. Glad you did.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey....it's nice to see you here. How are you, been a long time. I love your newest creation today. Wow.

      Delete
  9. Very unusual blog post this morning, Anni. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great weekend yourself Linda

      Delete
  10. LOL, thanks for looking up the information. Someone had to do it.

    loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...better than learning it in the classroom I suppose. LOL

      Delete
  11. Well the "Crap" has hit the fan so to speak or rather your blog but it was interesting & fun to read. I've never seen a Dung Beetle (alive) before. Very cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like an armored creature don't you think?

      Delete
  12. Love it! You are soooo funny! And to boot you got the scoop on the poop! Woop! Texas has it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl...great rhyme there Ms. G. You're on a roll!!!!

      Delete
  13. It's the middle of the night and I can't sleep and here I am laughing like crazy! Very interesting post, neat that you saw one and learned all of this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all to share with you my dear friend!! LOL

      Delete
  14. Nice find! I'll pass on the fine wine though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...ya, I think I'd pass on the fermented beverage too.

      Delete
  15. Hello, what a fun post. Great sighting of the dung beetle, thanks for sharing all the info too. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol Anni Google is the 21st encyclopedia. And much more convenient to use than a big hardback.
    Hugs Madi and Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....the education you two get when stopping by!!!

      Delete
  17. Another new fact learned today that there are dung beetles in Texas! Thanks for doing all that research
    Gives a new meaning to feeling pooped too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, after that research and all....I am kinda pooped. I'm sure you are also, after reading the scoop on poop.

      Delete
  18. Well now I've gotten all the poop on dung beetles and had the best laugh of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...gotta laugh to make us feel good once in a while, right?

      Delete
  19. Too funny! Thought the last line was very fitting for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh you are funny! And absolutely right - I really didn't expect to be reading about a bug of famed manure rolling on this blog! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rofl...remember, you read it here, first!!!

      Delete
  21. This was so interesting... I didn't know we had these in this country. Thanx for doing all the research. The last line was so funny and appropriate ...although in my family would have used a different 4 letter word because we have no couth ))

    ReplyDelete

.