MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Lake Front Property....

My sister is safely back at her home in Colorado. The past 10 days have been a whirlwind of fun, laughter, good food, travel, reminiscing, tears, and one day....A FLOOD in our area of the state of Texas!! Some of you may have heard about it or seen the national news. On the 16th our city was hit with rainfall from 6 inches to nearly a foot of downpour in as little as 6 hours. It was historical. Funny part was, as I lay sleeping in my bed, I didn't hear any of it. When I woke up early on Monday morning, I went out in the darkened garage for something. As I continued walking, it dawned on me that my feet were in water!! I then turned the light on, and saw it........our garage was flooded...rainwater was flowing in under the door like a river. I looked out the garage windows, and we had lake front property....a virtual lake. As the landscape slopes to the street, there was probably a foot of water. And it continued to rain. A state of emergency, road closures, no school, etc. I got Bud up .... we watched and listened for hours until daylight. Then, the storm passed, and we began cleaning/scooping water to save things stored in the garage. Needless to say we didn't go ANYwhere that day. The flooding quickly subsided in the streets, but the damage was done.

The weather map above, from our local news station, shows the amount of rain expected/accumulated  that night/early morning. I added a black arrow to approximate where our home is...it's in the six inches and above 'pink' area. Yep, we got ABOVE six inches alright!!  As of today, Thursday, the garage is finally dried out for the most part and Bud and I will put everything back in its place.



Road Closed for a few hours
Intersection to freeway access...
Just blocks from our home!


Below...
During the rainfall...
taken from our front porch...





After the Storm...
About 4 hours later when the storm passed


As I mentioned above...so much happened the time my sister was visiting. I will share a lot in the next few posts. For today, I'm taking the day off to go birding if there are no storms on the horizon [which is predicted, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the weathermen to be wrong]. Soon, ahead, in my future posts there will be some days shared;...

...A TALE OF TWO SISTERS

37 comments :

  1. Good morning Anni
    We heard the and saw about that rain!! My goodness you have HAD a ton of rain this year.
    I hope there wasn't any damage to your home
    I'm so glad you and your sister had such a wonderful visit.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, we only had flooding in the garage. Nothing damaged beyond saving after drying out. Thanks M&M.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Now that's a lot of rain, Anni. I'm glad it passed quickly, and I look forward to the tale of two sisters. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some more storms today...but nothing like the beginning of the week.

      Delete
  3. So glad for you that it was only the garage that have water in it and not your house. Glad you are safe. The State of Florida had the same type flooding but it was in the Panhandle and on the other side of the state from us we got a half inch of rain. But directly across the street from us they had 12 inches of rain and had water in the street just like what you show here. I do have to say something good came of your flood because several of these flood pictures are totally awesome and that early morning light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...pretty in pictures only. LOL

      Delete
  4. WOW, that's a lot of rain. Flooding can cause so much damage and the clean up is awful. We used to get slight flooding in our basement and it was a muddy mess once the water was out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, no mud...I guess having all lawn it helped in that respect.

      Delete
  5. We've had a lot of rain in the Hill Country, but not so severe as areas east and south of us. The sun is shining for a brief period this afternoon after a deluge of rain last night, and is supposed to stay dry thru tomorrow (Friday), but rain in the forecast on Saturday. Hard for grandson to get his baseball games in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a while before I don't fret when I see dark clouds and hear distant thunder.

      Delete
  6. Glad you and your Sis had a good time. She was probably glad to get out of the wet in CO and had no idea what TX had in store for her. Glad you're mostly dry now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....first part of her text after landing in Grand Junction...."the air is dry"!! LOL

      Delete
  7. PS I love your Header!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you really are OK now. I was thinking about you and hoping to know you are ok today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we're fine. Thanks Ms. G

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear that only the garage was affected.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had out share in Fort Worth as well. We are still getting every night. Only four days of this month, no rain. One day soon, probably be wishing we had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems all around Texas this year....lots o' wet.

      Delete
  11. You know one thing about Texas is that it can rain. I lived in Midland years ago and it rained in torrents and flooded. I lived in Houston and sometimes it rained in torrents. My brother lives in Corpus also he told me earlier this week that they had a true frog drowner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was outside taking photos during the storm, LOTS of frogs were croaking...take that any way you want. A play on words maybe?

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness! That is a lot of rain! I'm glad your home wasn't flooded and you guys are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari. I thought the storm would NEVER pass. :o)

      Delete
  13. Yikes! That is a lot of water everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and still this morning some areas in town and outskirts, it's still flooded.

      Delete
  14. Being from Texas I hate to ever complain about rain but I do hate to see people have flooding. Storms all around us, hail damage etc. We've been lucky to have only lots of rain which we always need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have definitely had our share and then some with rainfall totals so far this year.

      Delete
  15. Hello Annie!:)Nice to see a post from you but so sorry about the flooding, and consequent cleanup. Looking forward to your next post. Happy birding!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your concern. Oh, I will always make an effort to have a 'happy birding' when I can.

      Delete
  16. And here's me thinking that Texas is a very sunny place with little rain.
    I'm so glad you survived the storm without too much damage Anni. Most of all, you retaained your sense of humour as I can glean from your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Phil, for the most part it IS sunny here....but it's subtropical so rain/hurricanes are always a good chance. Gotta keep up the sense of humor or I'd go mad. LOL

      Delete
  17. Good morning, and thank goodness that it wasn't there longer. That's an incredible amount that fell. Great captures of is. No matter what - You always make me smile, thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and you make me smile each time you visit, Karen. Thanks.

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you only got water in your garage! I hope you didn't lose a lot of things! The photo of the water with the street lights shimmering remind me of some of my rain paintings! So far we have escaped getting water in the house and I am so thankful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no losses....at least that we could find. Most everything of 'value' is stored in plastic boxes. It's the foundation and clapboard/baseboard that concerns me...wood rot!! Time will tell.

      Thanks Linda

      Delete
  19. Oooh, so sorry about the flood!

    ReplyDelete

.