MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Anni's Assortment...fat free for everyone

Sunday morning found me [Bud stayed home] at a local park on a birding expedition with a small group that showed up. There were about 20-25 of us...all arising before sunrise to reach our destination by 7ish. During the month of April, the Audubon Society of our fair city has guided birding tours at several of our parks. Today, tho not many birds and plenty of standing water from the week's heavy rainfall, it was still a pleasant walk. After we all had signed in, and waiting for any late arrivals, I was talking to one of the guides about a new area I had heard about. I got directions to the new spot on Mustang Island and she informed me of a species of bird that had been sighted at Port A's Charlie's Pasture North...one that I have not seen here, but did when we lived in Colorado very frequently. I hope to get there tomorrow [Monday] and check it out. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!


Anyway, very few birds at the time, so I ended up going across the street to the nature facility - Conservatory [closed on Sundays] and walked the back yard where there is a Koi Pond. So without further ado, I share these to log my activity:

The Koi Pond had three fish that I found. Plus, a waterfall and aquatic plants--


The exterior of the converted 1800s home is landscaped with flowers that are indigenous to our temperate zone, here and there are bird feeders, benches along the walkways, and all lighted--

Hibiscus Blossom and macro shot of the same

I believe this is called a 'Shrimp' Plant [please correct me if I'm mistaken]

A multitude of lampposts along the shaded pathways.


I stayed in the area a little over a couple of hours, it was beginning to get hot with the intense humidity. It was time to get back home to the A/C, and make something I promised Bud I'd make for our week's dessert. Bud'll have some vanilla ice cream after I warm the bars in the oven for us. I, of course, will ration mine to a very small square with NO ice cream :-)

Date Bars Crisp


This upcoming week will be quiet I hope. Both with the lack of torrential downpours like we experienced a couple nights last week and very little domestic issues like house repairs, etc.  In fact, one night from 10 PM to 2 AM we had tornado warnings!! There is water everywhere. Our back yard is nothing but a mire of mud and muddy water. We need a few days of sunshine to dry things out. Our lawn will be knee high if we can't get out to mow it. Oops, let me rephrase that, if BUD CAN'T get out to mow it. This week, we'll go to the islands a day or two, then do some catch-up on laundry and perhaps I can feel up to cleaning some bathroom fixtures. They are in dire need. But, if I'd rather be birdin'...then, so be it. The bathroom fixtures'll remain in need of a cleaning for another week. Oh and one more thing...
...when I get a total of eight "new" birds photographed, [and take the time to actually get out and buy another frame, lol] I make another collage for our 'bird' walls!  This is the newest additon:
Top row:  Yellow Throated Warbler, Common Loon, Warbling Vireo, Bobwhite Quail
Bottom row:  Cerulean Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Piping Plover, Pintail Duck

29 comments :

  1. years ago i bought one of these shrimp plants, it was stunning and big and hanging down. i hung it on the porch and 2 weeks later it was dead. nothing my green thumb hubby did would save it. these are all beatuiful flowers. great shot of the koi and i love the bird that is hanging in the air with wings out spread...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outdoor plants do well here, but I have a black thumb when it comes to HOUSEplants!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've had lots of rain. Here in CO, we've had lots of snow! Love the color of the hibiscus (and the macro). Glad to see you're enjoying some time outdoors. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the waterlogged yard and unable to mow the knee deep grass. We got 7 inches in 2 days last week and the ground was saturated to begin with.

    I love your framed birds. Just lovely!

    I've been meaning to ask you if you had a dearth of hummingbirds this year? Usually, we need to have 2 or 3 feeders for all the hummers passing through. But we just didn't get them this year. We have 2 hummers that are nesting nearby but no migration crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos...Flowers are gorgeous!!! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Koi pond. Wish I had one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty flowers. It seems like it wasn't all that long ago you were saying how much you could use the rain. It's either too much or not enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni this is a most beautiful post...you have touched on several of our senses today, sight, feeling, and taste!!
    Madi says she won't tell Winston and Tahoe THAT she is like a 500 lb gorilla..she sleeps where ever the mood strikes her.
    Hugs cecilia and the diva

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so lucky to live near these bird hot spots! We, too, are having wacky weather and my yard is a mucky mess..but slowly starting to dry out. If the storms will just stay away for just a couple of more days! Date bars- yum! My mom used to make date nut bread in soup cans when I was young...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, if the birds are out, go look for koi!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At one time I had a Shrimp Plant, that's what I was told it was and that name fits it. We had lots of rain here too. Next comes the mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, so much beauty!! And so beautifully captured, as always, Anni!! Your photos are the next best thing to being there myself!! Thank you so much for sharing!! Oh, and I have to admit that I fell in love with the Koi!! Hope you have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your collage frame, and the pictures in it. Is the fluttering bird a cowbird? I love the hibiscus, and that is indeed a shrimp plant. I hope it dries out really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good week ahead! You salvaged your walk quite nicely with the photos from the park. Lovely, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your collage is beautiful!!! It just does my heart good to hear you talk about your routine and to know that if you had rather be a'birdin - then that's just what you will do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty post! I love your pictures here. The Dr I work with was in Texas this weekend - he and his wife were birding in San Antonio. Hope he had as much success as you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, nice job, and that date bar thingy sure looks good to me! I must be hungry... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Morning Anni, you are lucky to live so close to these birding spots.. I love the koi and the pretty hibiscus.. Have a happy Monday and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh to have your opportunities and ambition! Love your macro shot. The many koi in my daughter's natural pond have finally surfaced and are hungry! Surprised us that they lived through this year's winter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anni
    Thanks for the visit to my blog and the kind words..
    The hibiscus is so pretty and I enjoyed all the rest of your photos.

    My mom made the best date bars and I have her recipe, might just make then this week as they are a favorite of mine ...

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the hibiscus macro!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful array of beautiful photos of nature's gorgeous flowers!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that shrimp plant--I don't think I have seen it before. The other flowers are lovely, too...it was just that I had not seen the one you call shrimp plant.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your flower shots are so beautiful Anni!
    Love that macro of the Hibiscus :)
    And I would like to try your date bars,
    sounds good to me, don't know them yet :))
    Have a beautiful week!

    Tinna ✐

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Hibiscus shots are fabulous Anni. So too the Shrimp Plant (that's the name I know it by also).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such stunning pictures Anni . Worth it getting up early for :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely macros you got there, i love most the details of the Hibiscus

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those shots of the hibiscus are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Neat photos!
    I hope you'll come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/04/at-keyboard.html

    ReplyDelete

.