“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





SUNday?

Since the holidays, not much happenin' here at Hootin' Anni's. I completed a local interest book about Connie Hagar, her life as a birdwatcher along the Texas Coast in the 1950s. Very interesting and a lifestyle I'd be jealous of back then!! And since it's been so dreary outdoors, the activities indoors have been boring for me. I rec'd a couple Wizard of Oz Jim Shore figurines and a 75th anniversary edition of the making of the Wizard of Oz over the holidays, so knowing I've never really read any of Baum's books on Oz, I decided to go in search for something to compare it to the movie. I am now reading the book of 5 stories by Baum, with the first one "The Cyclone" which the 1939 movie was based. Different in so many ways, but still good even tho it's meant for children. There are so many classics I never read as a youngster, I may make it a resolution to get to 'em this year. At least I'll have Wizard of Oz under my belt. But, all in all, I need to get outdoors, walking, birding, and soaking up some sunshine....by the weather forecasting, that won't happen any time soon. The wintry cold snap is here for a week or more. The sky finally did clear yesterday and the sun was shining for about an hour before sunset. Frost warnings are all over the coast here. The sky is still clear this morning, early, so maybe we'll have a SUNday afterall. I just read that a day or two ago, San Diego, CA. got snow!!! I'm sure some native southern Californians are still shocked!

I have also been working on 16 more bird photos from my collections/cds...all of which I've photographed in the past. I finished them over this weekend, and ordered prints online. Now, I need to get to the store and purchase more collage frames!! That'll be the next project. Getting them framed and added to my birding wall in the dining room. These images I share here are of Black Skimmers in flight and an Inca Dove. The skimmers are difficult [at least for me] to capture while they're skimming the water in their actions...they swiftly soar just above water level with their beaks open, scooping up water and crustaceans as they dash about. I was lucky to get TWO in tandem. The 15 others I worked on are: Yellow Green Vireo, Cooper's Hawk, Red Breasted Grosbeak, Lark Sparrow, Inca Dove, Horned Lark, Pied Billed Grebe, Fulvous Whistling Duck [not to be confused with Black Bellied Whistlers], Bonaparte Gull, Bluebird, Bufflehead Duck, Blue Winged Teal, Bar Tailed Godwit [a vagrant from Europe that graced our area in Corpus Christi], Black Swans [They're Australian Birds...but 3 were here in OUR bay waters this past Autumn], and Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher.  Some are linked here to my Birding Photo Blog, while others listed, the photos have not been shared over there...yet.

Speaking of projects...Our 2nd bedroom is going to have a re-do. I found a perfect bedspread, comforter, pillow sham and bed skirt combo that will work well with the carpeting. And it can be considered both feminine and masculine....tho, for the most part the collections in there are of western decor so, I guess you could say, it's mostly masculine. Which is okay. It just needs a revamping; period. The next step is to choose a paint for the wall color. I want it more muted than the yellow/gold walls. I'm thinking on the line of beige tones. A comfortable color that is soothing to the eye.  I love to paint and redecorate; this I'm looking forward to beginning soon.


I also began sketching a wood duck on my watercolor paper...sometime soon I want to begin painting it. I have to get inspired and then stop all else and go for it.  Thing is, I'll do this only if it remains cold and damp, otherwise we'll be driving around in search of more and different bird species. The timing and inspiration is all part of my sketching. If there is no motivation, I tend to flub up a lot -- that's happened more times than I want to admit.

24 comments :

  1. ...and here I'm sweltering in a heat wave. In and out the pool the only thing comfortable to do.
    Looks like you've got all well in hand, planning, projects, just as I know you, hee hee hee. And I hope you are having a SUNday today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to get to see some of the redesign of the bedroom. Maybe some before/after images! :)

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't know where Shadow is but we are sweltering here to with highs in the low 80's, had to run the AC for the last two days. humidity is killing us. and has confused the trees. since I rather read than anything else in the world, i never get bored with inside. but i do prefer sunshine and bright skies over dreary.. we had 2 days of dreary gray and it is depressing... if hubby liked to hike the woods with me i would go more ofen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are staying pretty busy. I was hoping for more outdoor time over the Holidays but the weather turned wet and cold so I haven't been out as much as I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've got two days of rain, rain and more rain. And yes, I've got a couple of Facebook friends who live in southern California and I looked with awe at some of their pictures, with real snow indeed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those skimmers sound like really interesting birds to watch.
    Can't wait to see your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to decorate your dining room wall with bird photos. I hope you show us that wall own day. Snow in San Diego? I bet people were in shock. It snowed once when we lived there many years ago. I remember the same reaction but the flurries didn't last long. I stood outside in absolute awe, like I had never seen snow before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have had a couple of nice days, but it is humid again, and I hate the humidity. This time of year, the humidity should be non-existent for us in central Florida. We had to put the AC back on, even though the temps have been in the high 70s and low 80s. Tolerable, if it wasn't so humid. Hope you are able to get back out soon, though I do look forward to seeing your finished painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always fun to hear what you're up too, and I like how you titled your SUNday- my phone Siri says it's sunny, although she must be mistaken, or maybe it's still going to arrive. It's also a cooooooooooool -4 at the moment. brrrrrrrrr! Good day to take down my Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you, I have some painting/redecorating on my mind for this year. Hope your project turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bird photo enhancements are going great! I used to despise painting rooms - now - no problem. You always manage to keep busy with improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni, love the Skimmers.. And your wood duck drawing is looking good.. The bedroom makeover sounds nice, the beige tones would be soothing.. It is mostly foggy here today.. I wish the sun would come out.. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, you do have fun and I'm so glad you share it with us, Anni!! Such a great way to start my day!! Hope you have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The skimmers in flight are glorious! Do you keep a book of your sketches? You should! Do you know how the Wizard of OZ got that name? Frank Baum was sitting at his desk in front of his file cabinet, the drawers were alphabetical. He looked at the drawer that said O-Z, and Bingo! True story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anni, I'm coming over from the comment on my blog about the quail eggs ... I couldn't find a way to email you. I couldn't bring myself to eat them ... but lots of people do and say they are very good - just like any other egg! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm impressed with all the projects you have on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are one busy woman Anni. Redecorating your bedroom sounds like fun. I like the idea of bird pictures in your dining room. What a great way to enjoy the birds and bring back memories as to where you found them. Nice time to do all this when the weather is not suitable for being outside.
    Blessing for 2015.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  17. Today it was 50 tomorrow it drops to 20 and then the next few days after that below 20. I really hate these bitter cold days. Add in some wind and it makes for a very miserable me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bedroom redo sounds great. I love anything western or country. No riding around the country roads here. I have a new truck and I just can't bring myself to get it dirty for the first time. I hesitate to complain about the wet weather knowing July and August we'll be begging.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our weather has been unusually weirdish (a word?) warm. Bedroom make over sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are such a busy lady! I think I remember that one of the places we birded in Fulton area was named for Connie Hager. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh boy a new sketch...we love wood ducks here and are excited to see the sketch completed.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely shots and I like the new sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know it must be hard on you when you can't get out and about!! I spend several hours outside today but it was COLD! Not frigid but cold! While I am not a real birder - we do fill our feeders up every other day and enjoy seeing all the birds around here in our yard. It's been so cold they are roosting in the vines on our porch.....guess the lights I have strung up there help keep them warm. They make a mess but I'll clean it all up after it's warmer!
    I always enjoy hearing about what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looking forward to seeing the painting!

    ReplyDelete

.