MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Celebrate Loved Ones...

There are two 'holiday celebrations' that are often misunderstood. Halloween and Day of the Dead. I grew up with Halloween and a night of Trick 'r' Treating. It was a fun tradition without the evil-doing that has evolved in so  many people's minds recently. This is a sad thing. But still there is history here! Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (pronounced "sah-win"). The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture. Samhain was a time used by the ancient ones to take stock of supplies and prepare for winter. The festival would frequently involve bonfires. Masks and costumes were worn in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or appease them. And...Part of the history of Halloween is Halloween costumes. The practice of dressing up in costumes and begging door to door for treats on holidays goes back to the Middle Ages, and includes Christmas wassailing which is in likeness of Halloween for the fact of going from door to door getting hand outs, tho one is Pagan and the other is Christian. It's a cultural thing, and highly misinterpreted these days. Then...

Over the years as I age, I have come to realize that the ceremonial observance, Day of the Dead, is really NOT as macabre as I once thought.  In all honesty, it was a totally misunderstood unawareness, of the heartfelt significance...on my part.  We lose those we love over and over during our life here on earth, and instead of mourning the loss, I like the way the life and memory of our loved ones is celebrated on the Day of the Dead. [Día de Muertos in Spanish/Mexican] It's a day set aside for a special time to recall the life of family that has left us behind in a joyful, loving and respectful way. We should all do the same!! For this, I sat down and tried to rhyme my new ideas and thoughts for the first of November...Dia de Muertos...and ending November 2nd.



Celebrar Seres Queridos
stand by my tomb and rejoice in my memory
for I am still with you in spirit, by reflection
of days in the past when I was whole
to the end...a familial connection;
a being of life... sound,  heart and soul.

celebrate and triumph in my memory
for I am still with you in spirit, by reflection
of  days from the past when I was jubilant
without discontent nor disillusionment
to the end...a familial connection.

in my memory celebrate and rejoice
sing, dance, live life, carry on;
I am here in spirit, by reflection
ending one stage beginning anew.
endure,  do not mourn that I am gone
but, forever here, always beside you...
I am your familial connection!!
© 2014
Hootin' Anni


mask images courtesy of Google Images

"Celebrar Seres Queridos" translated to "Celebrate Loved Ones"

38 comments :

  1. Louis Dean and I were talking in the gazebo just a little while ago about Halloween. I have been through several 'stages' of participation. When my first two children were growing up - in the 60' and 70's - it was FUN and we went all out! Parties and ScareMares where the church youth group put on a really authentic 'haunted house' and shared the gospel. Skip to the 80's and 90's when Amber and Ben were growing up. SO different! They were putting razor blades in apples and poison in candy. Plus Amber was very sensitive to all the horror costumes that confronted you as soon as you walked into a drug store back then! We then opted for 'Pumpkin Parties!' and they were VERY well attended in our neighborhood! On Halloween we either went to a movie or Amber and Ben gave out candy at the door - dressed in costume. Times have changed - once again - and Halloween has become a friendlier celebration. I think people are mostly looking for fun. I have many friends in the Haunt Industry and LD and I will be attending a Dark Hours Haunted House on Saturday night - my first haunted house in over 35 years!! I think I will even dress up in costume to pick Mother up at the beauty shop in the morning! Things and time are always changing.....
    I really enjoyed reading about the history of it all......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post Linda. Happy Haunting.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful way to express your thoughts/feelings about Halloween and the Day of the Dead! Thank you for sharing the history behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're so kind Jacqueline. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post and poem, Anni! I agree let's all celebrate!.. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks and happy weekend to you too!

      Delete
  4. For the longest time I didn't realize what Day of of Dead was all about. I really like your poem.
    Happy Halloween

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me either, like I posted, I was so wrong in my assumption.

      Happy Haunting Ann

      Delete
  5. Oh Hootin Annie this poem is so perfect. Just beautiful and I feel the same way.
    Great post I like the history.Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  6. You expressed it perfectly, Anni!! You should publish that poem so others may enjoy it and take it to heart! We have had Day of the Dead celebrations at the Museum, where I work. We had a Mexican artist do an installation one year, with an alter and offerings. It really is a wonderful celebration of life lived. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samhain is an interesting holiday, marking the beginning of the dark days of winter. I just looked it up this morning. Thanks for all the fascinating information on the origin of this day, as well as the Day of the Dead. I'll put a plate with food on it that I think my loved ones would have enjoyed, to remember them. Your poem is great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post was very enlightening. I never knew what Halloween was all about and happy to find that it is a celebration rather than something weird and evil. So, Happy Halloween to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post!

      Delete
  9. You have inspired us with your knowledge of the Halloween season and your poem. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome poem!! You never fail to surprise :) Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...awwww, thanks. That comment is very encouraging.

      Delete
  11. ANNI HAPPY HAPPY ON THIS YOUR FAVORITE HOLIDAY!!
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and same sentiment goes from me to your daughter!!

      Happy Haunting.

      Delete
  12. Very interesting history! I really like the poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Probably most people don't have a clue, I didn't. I didn't know much about Halloween until we moved into town when I was young. A lady from Ohio introduced us country kids to Halloween and trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Halloween has always been 'big' in our family. From parties when young to fun and decorating when grown up. lol

      Delete
  14. Excellent Poem . . thank you for this wonderful post.
    Love & Love to YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Appreciate your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So I'm Mexican, I grew up doing the Dia de los Muertos, my parents and family down there still do it. Let me tell you this is no game, people down there have to cook a great meal for La Ofrenda (the offering) to set a table, they put water or whatever drink the person they're remembering used to drink. It could be beer, whiskey or the best they have, they don't want to offend the dead. They set the table in the evening, and they do believe that their dead come at night time to eat! It freaks me out! There are also places, caves where certain people put their offerings. And if for some reason they didn't do their best then they're scared that bad things will happen to them, lots of superstition. Bottom line is they have to worship their dead :) As a tradition, from far away, it's fun. But I've seen the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning more...so, thanks very much on this telling!!!

      Delete
    2. Your welcome, sorry I almost typed a whole page in here :)

      Delete
  17. Very interesting poem, delicious celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW you are a great educator! Your poem is thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy weekend with some valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this info you generously give to us here. Thank you for the time it took to do your search on these two days. I remember last year, I had a little flying witch widget going across my blog...someone wrote a comment that she thought it was horrible to have that witch fly across my Prayer List at the top of my blog. I felt so bad about it, I took my witch off. Later, after thinking about it, I knew it was all in fun and the little broom-riding witch had absolutely nothing to do with my Prayer List, so I put her back. It is all in fun and as a child, Halloween was my 2nd favorite fun day, right behind Christmas.
    I have some very special memories of my mama and my aunt dressing me up as a gypsy and going Trick 'r Treating with me...a very fun time in my life that I'll never forget.
    Love your pretty poem.

    ReplyDelete
  21. People get all wound up about Halloween. It's just fun is all. It's roots go way way back, but it is still just fun today.
    I went to a Day of the Day festival here yesterday and I got a new appreciation for the day now. It is a celebration and very positive and not macabre at all.

    ReplyDelete

.