“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Actin' a Bit Squirrely ...

...but first a few feathered friends!

Wild Bird Wednesday hosted by Stewart

Geese at a Local Lake Park
White Pelicans at a Bay
Roseate Spoonbills and Other Birds -seagulls, herons, pelicans
linking to: Wild Bird Wednesday




Hodgepodge hosted by Joyce

1. Do you manage your own money or do you have a financial planner who helps in some way? Do those kinds of conversations stress you out? A lot or a little? We did have an adviser just before we decided to retire. But now, instead of doling out a percentage of our retirement to financial planners, we do it ourselves. And I find it all exciting and challenging at the same time.

2. The second week of October is Pet Peeve Week. Off the top of your head, share TWO of your current pet peeves. Current? As in just a few days ago, I was reading blog posts that use the word 'anyways' instead of 'anyway' - it just seems like improper English even tho anyways is urban slang and found in the urban dictionary. Anyway the 2nd pet peeve would be that reading such annoys me...lol

3. What is one thing you'd like to learn right now, this very week if you could? The numbers that will be drawn for the winning ticket for Lotto?!!!! BEFORE they're drawn.

4. How concerned are you about the recent health related news concerning Ebola? How about Enterovirus D68? It's been in Dallas now...but I'm not all that concerned. Should I be?

5. Garfield, Nemo, or Tigger-your favorite orange cartoon character? I adore 'em all...but if I had to have a favorite pick, it'd be Garfield.  Oh and his sidekick...Odie!!!

6. I'm [Joyce, our hostess] going to see Gone Girl with my neighborhood book club this week. So often books made into film are disappointing. What's a book turned film you thought was well done, in that the casting was 'like you pictured' when you read the book, and the film plot remained mostly true to the book plot? Movies and books are of great interest to me and I'm going to expand on this question quite a bit.  So, wordy as it's gonna get, I still want to voice an opinion... The books are always better.  At least 90% of the time.   One I can say was better reading was John Grisham's the CLIENT. The movie was so lackluster and the cast just didn't fit my imagined characters at all. Another one that has been done in 3 parts [the third installment release and conclusion will be out this month, or is it November?, at theaters I believe] - it has been a huge disappointment, but still follows the book.  And that is Atlas Shrugged.  The same characters throughout the book,  in the three part movie, have never been the same actor/actress!!!  What's up with that?!!!  Offhand, one I can think of that was pretty good both as book AND movie was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, directed by Clint Eastwood.  Another equally good book turned movie was The DaVinci Code...both just mentioned followed the book and the characters were quite 'likeable in likeness' both in movie and book form.  Now....

I have a question!!  What movie was BETTER than the book?  I'd have to say hands down, the book turned movie:   Mystic River!!  The movie and the actors put on a performance worthy of an Oscar!  Sean Penn was great --- he brought the character,  Jimmy Markum, to life!!!  In an exceptional way.  Oh...and not to forget JAWS!!  And oldie, but ever so graphic and unforgettable...the movie was MUCH better than the book, and the book was excellent.  Guess that makes the movie super-excellent!!!  Stephen King's Cujo was another that surpassed the book...Psycho comes to mind also....I could go on and on.  Movies, as you can see from my profile, are a passion.

7. What is one story your family always tells about you? I can think of a couple of stories. It depends on who is with me at the time...if it's sibling memories and tales, it always comes up that I was born...in a hospital [the only one of my parents children -all brothers and sister were born at home]....during the blizzard of '48 and '49 and the county cleared the roads for my mom to get to the hospital in time for delivery. But, if it's immediate family with our own children, the subject of me relieving myself in the woods...and a rattlesnake was nearby with me running out of the trees zipping my pants up...well, it always brings laughter to tears for everyone but me. :::snort:::

8. Insert your own random thought here. Just who owns the pecan rights? Me or the squirrels? ...he would scurry across the power line above our yard boundary, and within just a few minutes return at a lower elevation along the top edge of our wooden privacy fence heading for the neighbor's yard. For several trips here and there, he'd leave only to return with more pecans to stash for winter [excuse the blurry image of the last one, it was really mobiling across the fence. I couldn't keep him focused in the lens with the swift traversing  all that much]---


linking to: HODGEPODGE!!

55 comments :

  1. The squirrels are having breakfast here on the window frame in front of my desk -- we enjoy eating together!! Gorgeous herds of birds and great shots as always, Anni! Hope your week is off to a great start!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're definitely busy this time of year, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos of these beautiful creatures ! I love photos of the squirrels !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pecan-stealing squirrel!! It's another good Hodgepodge! Great photos, as always, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the squirrel's photo. The bird are fabulous, too. Great shots as always of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful hodgepodge. But I sure loved the picture of the pelicans. Now that I've seen "Pelican Dreams," I feel like I know those birds personally! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably have to buy it on Amazon....it won't come here, I can almost guarantee it.

      Delete
  6. Great post! Love the gaggles/flocks/groups of birds! I want to see Gone Girl. I haven't read the book. I generally feel like the book is much better than the movie about almost anything. Your squirrel is so cute. They think they own what's out there for them to gather, of course, but hey, leave some for us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...especially pecans! lol

      Delete
  7. Oh what fun it is to see your wildlife photos! What a glorious day to be alive, and they are soaking up every second of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my squirrel here would be jealous of yours with all those pecans he has access to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and even with the drought, there are TONS of pecans in the tree this year.

      Delete
  9. Love those bird shots! Our squirrels would be jealous, they only get acorns. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...y'know? I don't think I've ever seen a squirrel in the oak trees here...always the pecan trees around town.

      Delete
  10. WOW! Those first 3 shots are wonderful.such a lot of birds and I love the squirrel

    ReplyDelete
  11. The story my family always told about me was that my sister Maxine was ten when I was born. One day she was holding me in one arm and combing her hair with the other hand while standing in front of the fireplace. She dropped me on my head and that is what is wrong with me. I laughed with them but I really didn't think it was that funny. Like all your birds today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that is a similar story as Bud's....he got up in the middle of the night to feed Irene when she was a baby, and turned to take her downstairs...hit her head on the door. She hasn't been the same since. rofl

      Delete
  12. The pecan squirrel picture is so funny!! And I agree, the book is always better! I also agree that the movies you mentioned were better than the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh it was really comical to watch it scamper around with pecans in its mouth...sometimes two at a time.

      Delete
  13. Good shot of the squirrel...and nice ones of the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the line of spoonbills, and, of course, the crafty varmint. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're certainly cute varmints for sure.

      Delete
  15. Anni, wonderful shots of the birds. The spoonbill shot is my favorite.. I want to see Gone Girl too, let me know if you like it? Tigger is my favorite cartoon character.. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't go to see Gone Girl...that was Joyce's question [our Hodgepodge host]

      Delete
  16. Lovely nature shots ~ beautiful birds and cute looking squirrel!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never seen that many spoonbills gathered in one place. Wow!

    On the movie question: Terms of Endearment...awful book, great movie. The book was so boring and different, I kept thinking 'how did they get such a wonderful story out of this?' Other than that, I agree that 90% of the time, the book is always better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen Terms of Endearment, but can't recall how it went. I'll blame age. lol

      Delete
  18. Looks to me like the squirrel has imminent domain. (there were 8 or us and only two of us were born in the hospital...me being the youngest, I was born in the hospital.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I like that thought..."imminent domain".

      Delete
  19. Oooo.... you have pecan trees in your garden. I love pecans. Do you use them in your baking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love pecans...if I can harvest any given a chance. The squirrels seem to beat me too it.

      Delete
  20. I have got to see "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"! Wasn't that based on an event in Savannah, GA. We went on a ghost tour there and the guide mentioned it when we were touring the town. Your photos of the squirrel made me laugh...so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I would love to go on the ghost tour in Savannah!!! Lucky you.

      Delete
  21. I agree with you that the book is almost always better than the movie. I think maybe Jaws was better as a film. Even today it still makes me tense and I know how it ends! Good luck with your pecan war : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the music too from the movie. Enough to scare the wits out of anyone.

      Delete
  22. Loved your squirrel story. I have started a meme on Mondays called Memory Monday and would love to have you join in. You have lots of wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and remember!!! You may have to remind me.

      Delete
  23. Hearing people use 'anyways' drives me crazy!! Even one of my own children, who grew up with proper English, uses it. He knows it annoys me. :-) Also, I can't tell you how often I see an apostrophe where it doesn't belong. Why is it that people seem to think that if a word ends in 's,' there should be an apostrophe before the 's.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...and now that we're talking proper English...it's the he vs. him/ she vs. her and I and me....it boggles my mind when someone says Him and I went to the store!!!

      Delete
  24. Sometimes squirrels can be pests, adorably cute, but still pests!

    ReplyDelete
  25. #7...Oh Anni when my mom was about 5 she was caught standing at the fridge eating a stick of butter in the middle of the night.
    Love the squirrely photos
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eating butter? straight butter? Oh wow.

      Delete
  26. I love the birds and the cute squirrel. I love Garfield and Odie too and lasagna. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes....lasagna! Me too!!!

      Delete
  27. Nice squirrel - I do like the "panorama" type shots.

    I think WBW was having a Day Light Saving Time issue this week!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love those Spoonbills and the Squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My fave orange cartoon character is Hobbes in "Calvin and Hobbes". I enjoyed your squirrel story, Anni.

    ReplyDelete

.