“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Come Along, Part II

Nature Notes & Wild Bird Wednesday
hosted by Michell & Stewart respectivly


One lone Shrimp Boat border=
As I began a series of three posts, yesterday being the first of three, on the foggy Sunday morning, I mentioned that the weather kept most all the shrimp boats moored at the Marina. As we walked the boardwalk around the docking area and the inlet of water, where the yachts are tied in and a few restaurants have a 'home', I took advantage of the abandoned area since there was no activity of the shrimpers bringing in and selling their catch of the day...I was able to, at my leisure, zoom in on all the visible rigging on a shrimp boat. Along some sections of the bay's breakwater [a barrier built out into a body of water to protect a coast or harbor from the force of waves and storms], through the thickening fog and misty air, some water fowl came into view through the lens. As I used the zoom lens, they became clearer to view than with the naked eye. Again, mouse-over captioning. Gere mentioned that the captioned images wasn't working for her in her browser, so I did some tweaking and re-wrote the code. Hope y'all can read 'em now. Just slide your mouse over each image, pause, and the caption, hopefully, will show up for y'all...
Breakwater-Pelicans, Cormorants, Seagulls

With shrimp boats, or trawlers, I show you the netting, the outdoor helm, the heavy lines [thick rope], the pulleys, the cables, the cable spool, the mast with a Laughing Seagull, float lines with floaters [hollow, nearly weightless, cylindrical spools that the float lines go through, tied on the netting] and. last but not least, an American Flag amongst the outdoor rigging.
pulleys & chainNet FloatersNetting, Line & RiggingNetting, Line, FloatersExterior HelmBow LineBowCable SpoolMacro of PulleyPulleyPulleyMast-Old GloryPulleyMast-Seagull




HODGEPODGE QUESTIONS
hosted by Joyce:

1. Are we always responsible for our actions? Are there any exceptions?  For the most part, we are responsible. There may be an exception, but laws and insurance don't think so...and that is accidents. Tho, they ARE accidents, I still would have to say we are responsible. Who knows?!!

2. Has anyone from your home town become famous?
Farrah Fawcett, Selena [murdered in Corpus Christi], and Freddy Fender [not born here, but lived & died in Corpus], Eva Longoria, Lou Diamond Phillips wasn't born here, but attended High School in Flour Bluff Texas...now a suburb of Corpus Christi, and Lori Singer are some I can think of offhand...I'm big on celebrity gossip for the most part. ;-)

3. January was National Slow Cooker month. Do you own a slow cooker/crock pot? Did you use it last month? What's a favorite dish you make using a slow cooker or crock pot? I use a slow cooker most all the time these days. I've recently stewed chicken soup, cream of broccoli soup, chili, and other dishes. They're simple, easy to make a main dish...and little clean-up.

4. How do you feel about private companies collecting data about you? I deplore anyone who spies...especially for profiting and/or mailing lists from collecting the data...most information about anyone is available, tho, when you think about it!!!

5. The Games of the 2014 Winter Olympics kick off with their opening ceremony this coming Friday....will you be watching? Which Winter Olympic event would you most like to see in person? Have you ever been to Russia? Any desire to go, Olympics or otherwise? I'm really not much on watching Olympics at all. These days, there is just too much politicking going on...with judges mostly.

6. Share a good or bad sports related memory from your childhood or teen years. My sister and I would play practice tennis just about any weekend that wasn't snowy. Outdoors on the college campus where there were several courts. I loved learning the game and having fun times with my older sister. Rarely did I win a match, but the memories are fond.

7. What's a must have song for you on a work out play list? If you don't work out, run, swim, bike, walk, or anything else that could be construed as 'exercise', then what's a song that movtivates you to at least get up off the couch? I can't resist the song "Gimme that Old Time Rock 'n' Roll" by Bob Seger. From long ago. When I hear the intro...I'm ready to mooooooooooove!!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. Just 'cause of all the shrimp boat related images shared today, this little ditty came to mind:
I saw three shrimps in the water
And two were old and gray
So I swam a little closer
And I heard the third one say

"Goodbye, mommy shrimp
And papa, shake my hand
Here comes the shrimp boat for
To take me to Louisiana"

He showed his mama and his papa
Papa, papa, papa, papa, papa, papa
The shrimp newspaper he read
And there the advertisement
To all the young shrimps said

"Free ride, New Orleans
To stay in Grand Hotel
Meet Creole gals
That help you out of your shell"

Goodbye mommy shrimp
And papa shake my hand
Here comes the shrimp boat for
To take me to Louisiana

His poor mama and his poor papa
Papa, papa, papa, papa, papa
They haven't heard from him yet
Last time they've seen his smiling face
Is when he jumped into the nets

Goodbye mommy shrimp
And papa shake my hand
Here comes the shrimp boat for
To take me to Louisiana

Here comes the shrimp boat for
To take me to Louisiane
Here comes the shrimp boat for
To take me ah take me

Written by: Tepper Bennett




...to conclude, coming soon, the last post on our foggy day outing will be Reflections along the Yacht Moorings, the Restaurants, A warning buoy and more.

Sidebar Linking to:  Nature Notes, Hodgepodge, Wild Bird Wednesday

80 comments :

  1. i love the boat but the pieces of the boat are my kind of photography... i love macro and close up shot so any and all things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sandra. I love close up shooting too.

      Delete
  2. What great pics- they capture the mood and tone of the day and area so well. I"m with you on the spying- hang 'em!!! Love the poem~

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the foggy scene. very neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the walk in the fog.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful shots...sure loved all the shots of the rigging,etc. Really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the post Rose.

      Delete
  5. Marvelous photos Anni and a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the lone shrimper engulfed in all that fog is so awesome! I love the seagull shot, and then all the little detailed photos. I'm gonna have to learn how to do the coding like you used to display a description of your photos. That's really cool!

    To answer hodgepodge question #2: Homer Hickam, author of October Sky, and actress Karen Austin (Night Court TV sitcom from the 80s) is from the same county I grew up in WV. That's the only people that come to mind immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember Karen Austin....but I liked the show!

      Delete
  7. Slow cookers!!! Oh Anni my B and I were just discussing them over the weekend. When we were married in 1970 we rec'd one for a wedding gift. First one either of us had ever seen. Since 1970 I have probably had 20 of them....most times there is always at least 2 in the house. Our favorite beef stew recipe was an oven dish that cooked for 3 hours on 300. I converted it to slow cooker in 1972. We still use it..tried and true
    Great photos
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're a favorite utensil here in our home too. Makes meals so easy to fix.

      Delete
  8. Howdy, Love the 'foggy' photos from your Sunday walk... Great macros ....

    I got stuck today on Question 1... I keep thinking about the actor (Philip Seymour Hoffman) who died recently from a drug overdose. People are trying to blame everyone but HIM. I am sorry that we lost such a talented actor, but that young man had all of the resources in the world to use in order to get WELL. He CHOSE that life... YES--it was his fault and nobody else's.... Just sayin!!!!

    Foggy morning here on the Cumberland Plateau. Have a wonderful day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that boat in the fog is eerily beautiful!
    I used to use a slow cooker when I was in the workforce. Now, being retired, I don't bother. I like a dutch oven and have a couple of them. I even bake bread in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. baking bread in a dutch oven...wow, never heard that before. Of course I've never had a dutch oven. LOL

      Delete
  10. Very nice photo of the boat .Nette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos come up so clear and finely detailed and they are amazing, but still no captions will appear for me! Wonderful array of ropes and rigs and pulleys - I have never seen them up close like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed them!!

      Delete
  12. A real treat for me to see the shrimp boats and the close ups. Fascinating. I will be sure to share a cute Bob Seger story with you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...can't wait to read about Bob Seger.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed your shots of the boat, and the birds lined up on the rocky shore. I keep thinking I need to pull out my slow cooker, but I hate cleaning the thing. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud does the dishes...I cook. LOL

      Delete
  14. Beautiful set of pictures of the boat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos in the fog and very interesting to see all the rigging on the boat. Great photo of the gull as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your captions work really well on my Apple Macbook Pro laptop but not on my 27" iMac. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photo series on the trawler gear, Anni! I think I recognize the vessel fishing in the fog as the Captain Cortez. Have bought shrimp from their morning catch on our annual visits to Corpus. We also enjoy that walk along the promenade every day that we're there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Raf. I really don't know what boat it is...there are so many here.

      Delete
  18. Love the foggy scene and boat shots. The gull is pretty. The meal made in my crock pot was chili, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chili!!!
      Thanks Eileen.

      Delete
  19. There's a song about a shrimp boat that wants to surface, but it's not quite getting there. The song is older than I am and that's pretty old! Ha! Loved your shots, Anni. Interesting how many famous people were from your area! Have any Farrah gossip you want to share? When I was younger, I wished to have hair like hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her hair was very pretty and she definitely set a trend for a long while.

      Delete
  20. Yumm, fresh shrimp :) Love all the shots of the boat and it's pieces parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pieces parts...reminds me of Michael J Fox on Family Ties long ago when he called the car engine...car particuses.

      Delete
  21. I love the pic of the shrimp boat, awesome. The Jetties with the pelicans (I used to feed the pelicans fresh fish caught from port A) also loved to watch the Polyanna out there at PORT A that is an awesome site to see. The gulls are quite amusing :) I have several 100 pics of nothing but gulls, gulls and more gulls and pelicans
    always a treat to see you stop by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as is your visits!! Always enjoy your company.

      Delete
  22. the 1st foggy shot is so awesome. very mysterious!! hopped over from the bird link up "Wild Bird Wednesday" ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the foggy shrimp boat Beth.

      Delete
  23. Humm lets see now besides me liking your coastal photos and my captions do work. Now George Strait was born at Poteet north of us and raised at Pearsall west of us. I used my crock pot today for a roast. The song that motivates me is Boot Scootin'. I line danced for years and wish I still could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Boot Scootin' Boogie too!! But.......oh, George Strait. Yum!!!

      Delete
  24. Love the photos and the close ups of all the workings on the shrimp boat. What a great place to explore!! Enjoyed your hodgepodge, too. Mine will post in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was late in returning your visit...but I got there...finally. Enjoyed your thoughts on #4.

      Delete
  25. You've shared some amazing pictures today. I love the boat in the fog, and all the rope and pulley shots. They would look great in my nautical family room!
    You forgot one famous person from your area - there's a famous blogger named Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too have a nautical room? Super!!!

      Delete
  26. Cool photos! I love the fog in that first shot especially. I'm a Bob Seger fan...that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Joyce. both for visiting and hosing Hodgepodge.

      Delete
  27. Great photos, especially the shrimp boat out in the fog!

    Your song choice was excellent! That one always makes me want to move, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. boats and fishing regalia, seagulls and misty seas... oh my perfect mood setter....

    as for your interrogation... you make a crock pot sound recommendable, will have to investigate this option. my kitchen hasn't seen one, i haven't used one, don't really know what they look like... but since winter's a-coming, maybe i should educate myself.

    as for companies collecting my data, all i can tell them is "don't, you will feel my wrath if i feel inconvenienced in any way..."

    but i would like to visit russia, its a go-to destination on my bucket list, although it is quite low down...

    lots of love Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {{{Shadow}}} It's always good to see you stop by and visit with me!!

      Delete
  29. Captions now working on both of my computers! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's great to read!!!

      Delete
  30. You have a great eye for showing the inner detail that some people often miss, this collection puts all that detail together and is just missing the sounds of the harbour and the creaking boats and wind, lovely lovely post Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGoodness Dave, thank you for such a positive comment!!! You made my day.

      Delete
  31. Again...great pictures, Anni! I have a 'thing' for fog. Hey...you can never go wrong with Bob Seger, as far as I'm concerned! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks April. I too have a 'thing' for fog. There is something about it...

      Delete
  32. Aw shucks, now you got me feeling sorry for shrimp families.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Anni. love the close up shots of boat parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes me happy to know you enjoyed the photos Margaret.

      Delete
  34. Amazing textured shots. The close ups of the boat parts are really good and sharp.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was Farrah Fawcett's biggest fan! That first picture is so hauntingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Farrah was a beauty to be sure!!!

      Delete
  36. I agree that you have an eye for detail.... Made a gray day interesting to look at.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  37. Loved the picture of the ship in the fog. It was gorgeous. I love gray day shots and foggy shots. Loved your random poem too. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this post this week Karen.

      Delete
  38. I love your photos of the boat in the fog- these types of photos always have such a mysterious air about them...or maybe it's just my imagination. Fun tour- I'm going backwards, since I missed the first two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Terri...and yes, I agree, mysterious.

      Delete
  39. Replies
    1. ...it's good to read you enjoyed the post...and the song.

      Delete

.