my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




SING ALONG...

...To the Tune of Itsy Bitsy Spider ...

...the itsy bitsy phoebe flew 'round and 'round the bush!
Down came the snake and scared the bird away...
Out came the ducks; disturbed its focal stare!

...again, the itsy bitsy phoebe, it flitted through the air!!

WILD BIRD NATURE NOTES



Bud spotted the Diamondback Water Snake at the feeder channel to the bay the other day while out birding!!  Eventually the birds returned and ignored it.


*** --- ***

HODGEPODGE


1. It's been said that one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day. Do you think that's true? Do you find that an easy exercise most mornings? What's something positive you told yourself today? If you missed that boat, what's something positive you could tell yourself tomorrow? It's always good to be positive. No matter what time of day!! I guess that by telling myself that "if you think your day is going bad, stop. Think about those that have it worse and you'll see the bright side." Something like that.

2. There will be karaoke at the next party you attend...are you in? Or will you be faking a sore throat? I wouldn't attend the party...I've never done this, why would I start at the next party? I'll stick to my own ritual of singing in the shower where the acoustics are much more to my liking!

3. January 29th is National Puzzle Day...what's something you've found puzzling recently? Recently? Why not the entire white house term from the beginning? Now that is a puzzle NO ONE can figure out.  And I realize by reading  over how I answered some of the following questions, this isn't all that positive...but I can honestly say it is a puzzle, yet I realize other countries have less than we Americans.

4. Jigsaw, crossword, acrostic, logic, sudoku, word search...what's your favorite kind of puzzle, and when did you last work one? I love working on jigsaw puzzles. There is one puzzle that I've glued and had framed, for a personal reason... to remember my recouping from my first heart episode and hospitalization...a reminder of how precious life is. Not the picture, but the working of the puzzle while recouping and getting back to 100%. It's hanging on a wall for nearly 20 years now. Just a personal thing. I worked on this puzzle while mending at home.

5. Recently a writer by the name of Amy Glass ruffled feathers with a post she wrote saying she looks down on young women with husbands and kids and she's not sorry. Among other things, she says women will be equal with men when we stop saying house work and real work are equally important. What say you? Do you think men and women are equal in the 21st century? Why or why not? My thoughts and this Ms. Glass thoughts are from two minds, naturally. What I think and what she thinks isn't important. It's what you feel in your heart. Whatever it is...live by it, and enjoy what you're doing...equality to men be 'dammed'. [by the way, when I was single, a youngster, my parents were equals...Bud and I are equals. No matter if we work outside the home...when it comes to married life, we are half and half... yet a 'whole' team, and ONLY in that aspect are we equals...men and women are different, how in the world do some people consider the two sexes are equal other than partnership? --AND an added note, family is highly important to me.]

6. What's a product you've noticed in the grocery store that you'd like to try, but haven't yet? Well, I've seen this product many-a-times and just yesterday I saw it again...I tried it...it was delicious. Sliced white breast of turkey, mesquite smoked with jalapeno peppers in the meat...dunno how they did it, but  it makes a mean, delicious sandwich!!  I know the question was 'haven't tried it'...but I  hadn't 'til just this week.

7. The author, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) was born this week in 1832 (January 27th). Which character from his celebrated novel, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, would you most like to meet, and why? None, really. So, I'll go with which I like best...it'd be the Cheshire Cat. Its ability to appear and disappear on a whim sounds good. Altho it isn't compared to the Lewis Carroll book, I must admit, in the most recent movie, with Johnny Depp...the character that rocked my world was the Queen of Hearts!! ---"Off with their heads"!!!--- Can you say "Congress"? Ohhhhhhh, sorry. Got carried away. The real  reason I liked this character most of all was the make up. The very large head in comparing her body. The heart shaped hair-do. The magic of movie-making!   [besides, Helena Bonham Carter is a favorite movie star of mine] Oh and I don't wanna forget that awesome silver suit of armor Alice wore to slay the Jabberwocky, which by the way, I don't think was actually in the story Alice. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Insert your own random thought here. We've been doing a bit of Spring yard work the last few warm days. Yesterday, we tackled a dreaded chore. We've been putting it off on purpose. It's a wicked bush. To begin with, this bougainvillea isn't the one we trimmed but one in our front yard...the one we trimmed, I have no photo of...it is the bush that grew and grew and grew!! Yesterday, before beginning, we estimated the height to be about 15-18 feet high. A bush? More like a small tree!! And the growth was dense. Oh it was beautiful each year when the brackets would change color to the deep magenta reds. Did I say wicked? Both Bud and I felt like pin cushions before we finished. It went from its original height to the level of the 6 foot privacy fence. A much needed job since the thorns are thick, dense and at the height it was, the thorns and thick branches were scraping the paint off the eave on the garage AND putting deep cuts in the roof shingles!! A small price to pay for beauty...NOT!!


Courtesy of Google Images


PS...for the first time in history the Superbowl will be watchable ONLINE, on your phones...every electronic device available!!  Bud and I won't have to go to a sports bar for this.  We can watch it on our computer since we no longer  have cable TV.


Sidebar Linking to: Nature Notes, Wild Bird Wednesday and Wednesday Hodgepodge


86 comments :

  1. I had no idea that bougainvillea had such thorns! Glad you survived the pruning. Yikes! And no, I didn't know that about this year's Superbowl. We will be rooting for opposite sides, but I will just be happy if it's a good game. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the trick to trimming is to keep up with its growing...that way the 'baby growth' is still soft and pliable...not so harsh on the body with the 'bendable' thorns. It's the older stuff that's mean and nasty. Go Broncos? LOL

      Delete
  2. I grew bougainvillea in Florida. Very easy to scratch yourself at hedge clipping time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep!!! We always put the job off...way too long.

      Delete
  3. we have a dreaded thorn bush that is as big as an SUV and it just shreds bob every time he trims it. i sing in the shower to and be glad you could not hear me singing your song to the tune of itsy bitsy spider. i sung it loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we both sound better then!!! It's the acoustics I'm tellin' ya!! ;-)

      Delete
  4. your bougainvillea is very healthy! wish i could keep them all year here!

    love the phoebes. such cute little birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this one in the photo is nothing compared to the giant on the side of the garage. I think a lot of its overgrowth has a lot to do with the foundation soaking the house gets weekly. LOL

      Delete
  5. That bougainvillea is beautiful, but what a task to trim it! I laughed out loud at your comment about puzzles and the presidency. No karaoke for me either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it truly is a puzzle. LOL

      Delete
  6. I still have scratch marks from trimming our bougainvillea recently. They grow like nothing else. And I loved reading about your special jigsaw. Very special, indeed. Keep the diamondbacks your way, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...snakes...period....are creepy creatures.

      Delete
  7. I tried growing bougainvillea in Texas and could not believe how thorny those suckers were. It didn't survive the first year and I did not plant them again.

    Love your little eastern phoebe pics. Such a sweet bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....consider yourself lucky then....they're monstrous plants. Especially trying to keep them in control.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet bird. We don't have phoebes around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that they are. And such a delight to watch.

      Delete
  9. I couldn't agree more with you on the positive thinking. My Mother always said "Think Positive" ... I grew up on that and have never lost it, though I have to admit since the turn of the century things have been hard to think positive about.

    We have a pair of Phoebe in our neighborhood. I rarely see them, but I hear them every morning(except in the winter) talking to each other. They are elusive, but adorable when I catch a glimpse. Enjoyed your post, as always ... hope your warm weather stays with you. It is impossibly cold up here.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, if you can't find the bright side in some things in life, you're destined to be gloomy with those that surround you too. And it tends to rub off...most times the wrong way.

      Y'know, I don't think I've ever heard the phoebe sing now that I think about it....I only see them flying around; mostly trying to hide from the lens unless I am a far distance from them and not disturbing them.

      Delete
  10. I did sing along with your nice little tune. We keep a crossword puzzle going and take turns working on the same page. Nice post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work crossword puzzles each week when we had TV Guide delivered in the mail. It's been a long time since...

      Delete
  11. What a great image of the Snake, and a great opportunity to photograph it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so, you don't mind bloggers posting images of snakes? That's good to know. So many don't like 'em...me included. But if I have an opportunity to take a photo of one........FROM A DISTANCE, then by all means, I'll take it!

      Delete
  12. Yipes on the snake at the bird areas.... I saw a video once of a snake getting into a nest box full of baby birds. The parents were doing everything they could to save those babies --but I don't think they were successful.

    -Being positive is GREAT --all of the time.
    -NO Karaoke here --EVER and NEVER to happen.
    -What is puzzling is HOW all of the pretty snows go all around us and miss us yet we have this horribly extreme cold instead... Gads!
    -I love jigsaws... Yours is great!
    -Hubby and I are equal --and I've never had problems with this issue.
    -Not in the grocery store -but on TV: I finally broke down and bought one of those baked potato microwave cooking mats (bake your potato in 4 minutes) which I had been wanting to try. So far--so good!
    -Loved your Congress comment... SO true!
    -Isn't it great to get a huge project done --one you have been putting off????? But--that one must have been a 'sticky' mess!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....'off with their heads'....and least get 'em out of office!!
      and
      LOL on the 'sticky mess'...you're on a roll today Betsy.

      Delete
  13. You have courage. I would get nowhere near that snake!!!!!!!

    Also, we are not sports fans, so we will not be watching, but it is cool to know it can be watched on all sorts of devices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wasn't all that close to the snake...it was on the other side of the water, and I used the zoom lens.

      Delete
  14. Dear Anni, I think I would run if I saw such a snake!!
    I think thank you God for another day to try.
    I have never tried Karaoke don't think I want to either. I will continue to sing with the radio.
    I would like to try so many things from the grocery store, the list is quite long. lol
    I don't know the answer to the Alice in Wonderland, but from the story I don't really think I want to meet any of them.
    The random thought would be looking at all of the everyday miracles before our eyes each and everyday.
    Blessings dear and keep warm and cozy. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if I were close to the snake, I woulda make tracks out of there for sure. But it was on the other side of the canal, so no danger. And a zoom lens helps. Singing along with the radio, I do the very same.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful bird! Even your snake is good looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....good looking snake! Okay...if you say so. I would not agree tho. ;-)

      Delete
  16. i'm still singing. that is shocking that the super bowl will be on mobile devices. what will they think of next. i guess they want to keep it fresh & young for the young folks. we watch for the commercials - that is the only reason. ( :

    am with the others - you showed a snake & i'm shakin' in my boots. ha. ha!! seriously though. ha. ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they've finally figured out they can get more commercial revenue with the game being 'televised' online and other devices.

      Delete
  17. My husband used to be afraid of snakes until we moved here.. There are harmless garter snakes around. Love the birds and the snake. Those are some sharp thorns on that plant...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how harmless snakes are, I still don't like 'em. Yes, those thorns are more wicked than the snake. LOL

      Delete
  18. Anni I am 100% with you on #2. As my Dad used to say he sung solo
    so low you could not hear him.
    I love the Phoebe!!
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy day to you two, M&M!! Those Phoebes are elusive, I was happy to have a chance to get some photos!

      Delete
  19. Cute birds and the snake is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hhhhhmmmmm, a gorgeous snake. Now this is showing me you're a nature lover...thru & thru!!!

      Delete
  20. Oooh. Thorny spikes. Almost as dangerous as the snake. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the thorns hurt me more than the snake. LOL

      Delete
  21. Ha! I answered my #3 the same way you did, then changed it so I wouldn't have a political statement (again!) on my hodgepodge! I agree with you!! I also answered #7 with Cheshire Cat! I love Hodgepodge!! Those thorns look nasty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too...Joyce is a great hostess. She challenges us with some awesome questions, and she's ever so gracious.

      Delete
  22. Anni, I love your sweet Phoebe! I do not mind snakes, unless they are poisonous. And the bougainvillea is gorgeous. Great post, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a sweet looking bird. I enjoyed all of the shots. The snake was rather handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the phoebe is sweet looking!!!

      Delete
  24. Well that was mighty rude of that snake to break up the birds lunch. At least he got he hint and hit the road :)
    those are some nasty looking thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  25. First of all, your #3 is right on. Except I'd used a stronger word! That he got back in office is the puzzling part.

    The Phoebe is such a cute bird. I only see them here briefly in the summer.

    And the bougainvillea is really beautiful. I had no idea about the thorns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #3?!! I know, huh? I was and still am puzzled on the re-election.

      Delete
  26. I see a lot of baffles underneath bird boxes, I guess they don't only keep the squirrels away from those precious birds. Great post Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I really don't mind having the squirrels come in and feed on the seed. They're just as cute/fun to watch as any bird.

      Delete
  27. I am late getting here today but I thoroughly enjoyed your post. I found it especially interesting about your jigsaw puzzle that you worked while recovering. We have some ice/snow tonight. Hope you are safe and warm. Good Night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snow or ice here, but very cold!!! Hope you had a restful, and warm place to hide from the snow!!

      Delete
  28. I don't even know where to begin in answering your questions...wish this was a pop up window where I could look and see what all they were while I answer this...LOL

    I liked the Itsy bitsy phoebe song!

    As for a positive thought...yes I think it helps how your days starts out. I once heard to start your day with a song and your day would be better...I agree with that, too. I often tell myself how much worse I could have it....

    2. If I sang at a party, there would be no body to party,

    3. Not saying anything to #3...cause I cannot without ranting

    4. I love puzzles of any kind...in one week or so a few days after new years, I worked 3 jigsaw puzzles...two that were 1000 pieces and one that was 500...I cannot do anything else when I have a jigsaw puzzle out. So they are probably my favorite, but I love sudoku and like crosswords...and love things that are physical puzzles...

    5. I don't have much to say about being equal to a man...I have never felt less than one....Roger is stronger in some areas than I am and in others I and the better one at it. It is like my weakness is his strength...and I am better at other stuff.

    6--can't think of anything I have wanted to try but haven't tried from the grocery.

    7--Again, nothing to say ....for some reason that story never appealed to me....never read it...don't want to read it...

    8...Random thought...I would love to have a tomato, fresh from the garden..maybe even two or three or four. I could eat every single one.

    Bet that was more than you ask for...but I did enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, those questions are from the Hodgepodge at Joyce's blog...link found on my sidebar!! Your #5 is perfect for answering the question by the way!!!

      Delete
  29. I'm glad that the birds returned despite the snake. I would not have though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a far distance from me, so the use of the zoom lens kept me from running. LOL

      Delete
  30. Same answer to the Alice in Wonderland character. Loved your jigsaw puzzle reminder-life is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I see it hanging on the wall and know just how quickly life can change!!

      Delete
  31. Those thorns look terrible! I wouldn't want to be a human pin cushion either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the 'sting' the thorns create when you get jabbed doesn't go away soon, either. It lingers for a few days afterward.

      Delete
  32. I loved your answer to #5. Well said! Also, our 'puzzling thoughts' were quite similar. I couldn't make myself watch last night's 'State of the Union' address...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched a SOTU address since he took office. Which reminds me of a billboard in TX [I think it was near Dallas] of G W...and it said "Miss me yet?" Boy howdy, how I wish we could turn back the clocks. LOL

      Delete
  33. I can hardly wait to get out birding again. Right now even the birds have wrapped their feathers in afghans. I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's cold here...in the upper 30s...but the sparrows are out feeding their faces at the seed station.

      Delete
  34. The phoebe song is wonderful to hear! We have them up in back and they also chip and chatter incessantly. What terribly sharp and long thorns! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a new profile photo!!!! I like it!!!

      Delete
  35. Wow...those thorns are HUGE! I'd sure hate to get stuck by one! That snake would have made me run for the hills! YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April....I do hope your husband returns safely today. Those storms are scary down here in the south.

      Delete
  36. Cool snake shot....although I shiver when I write this. Would love to get close to an Eastern Phoebe at some point:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. So funny how we get caught up in our own little corner of the world. Not a green leaf in sight here! I am not a snake lover, but hubs has always been interested in them which works well for me when we spot one in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that is so true about us all!! Ya, hubby is always a good choice for handling/dealing with snakes.

      Delete
  38. love the images of the phoebe. A fine bird I saw in Cost Rica. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wishing I could travel the world to see all birds like you.

      Delete
  39. I laughed about your Congress comment. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...only those that are trying to make a living can understand that I think!!! It's difficult with this government. And you can't tell me otherwise.

      Delete
  40. Sometimes it's hard to keep that one positive thought in your head every day. But I try! :)
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep....I understand Catherine!!! Here too.

      Delete
  41. Love the birds as always....and the flowers at the end. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Well Said as always.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the series of photos of the Eastern Phoebe. My favorite is the one in the upper right corner - perfect shot! :) I haven't played Wednesday Hodgepodge in forever. I gotta get back to this one when time permits. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thank YOU for visiting me Cathy.

      Delete

.