MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




No Vixen Here!!!

NATURE NOTES & WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY This week, it's more or less an eclectic collection from my photo folders on the computer. All taken at different times in the past year, but mostly this past month. From Pelicans and Night Herons, to alligators, wildflowers and storm clouds---




Joyce's Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. Are you doing anything special to mark this season of Advent? If so please share. Nothing special here.

2. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen...and of course you recall, the most famous reindeer of all...so, which reindeer name best describes you this week? I guess I'd have to be the most 'famous' only 'cause of the use of kleenex and running, red nose from the cold I've had. I must say, I dunno how to dash around these days,  Dancer and Prancer?  I'd trip over my own feet!  Comet, I haven't had any spark in my life in eons...Cupid, my arrow is quite dull, Donner...isn't that the cannibalistic party in Utah?  Blitzen...supposedly a sharp emission of gasses...I won't go there!!! And, I'm not a football fan so, blitz isn't part of my vocabulary...that leaves vixen... I am way beyond being a vixen at my age. [insert wink] The urban dictionary defines vixen as: "Totaly gorgeous and amazing human female. With the cutest smile and a sweet ass body. Loves partying and drinks a lot but is still incredibly smart." One out of five does not make me a vixen. Yep, Rudolph I am.

3. What's worse-too quiet or too loud? Which have you had more of lately? The too noisy motorcycles is TOO MUCH! Other than that, noise or quiet doesn't bother me that much. Around here lately, it sounds like a TB ward...loud coughin' and gaggin'. I'll be so glad when this bug has left the building. [and a little sunshine would help a lot]

4. This question comes to you from Zoanna over at A Penchant for Pens-thanks Zo! - When you are administratively gifted, how often do you find yourself not trusting less gifted people to do what they've committed to do? If you are not so gifted that way, but are reliable, how do you feel when the stronger person (in that area) goes ahead and covers it before giving you a chance to come through? I'm really not sure how I would react to this situation. It would depend on the circumstances and the people involved.

5. What is your most dreaded task relating to the holidays? Your most looked forward to holiday task? Dreaded: repacking and putting away the decorations....Most Looked Forward To: Putting out the decorations.

6. Facebook has released its list of the 'most talked about' topics of 2013. Pope Francis took the number one spot. Does that surprise you? He was followed by election, royal baby, typhoon, and Harlem Shake. Your thoughts? What was your most talked about topic in 2013? (Facebook, around the kitchen table, or wherever it is you talk) Personally, I am very interested in how the Pope is changing the way the Vatican has been for centuries...it's about time 'the church' cleans up its act and get with the times. It's been stagnant far too long. But again, that's my opinion; not wanting to start any quarrels with what anyone else is thinking. As far as our conversation topics for 2013, it would have to be mostly politics and this so called affordable care act.

7. What's something you consider a necessity that others might view as a luxury? I guess I would have to go the direction of third world here in comparisons...electricity is a necessity and so many poor countries have nothing like it.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 


I search the turmoil; the edge of the sea
Watching the current, ripples, tide flowing free
'neath the charcoal sky reflects a darkened mood
I stand firmly planted by the edge of the sea...
... it crashes, rushes, smashes what 'tis brewed
conceding, confessing; the powers that be!

©2013 authored by Anni 
"In Search of Solace"








sidebar linking to Nature Notes, WBW, and Hodgepodge

78 comments :

  1. I like the idea of Advent, I just don't do anything special. And way quiet is much much better than too noisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. quiet, it's much more relaxing!!

      Delete
  2. I 've probably told you this before, but I always think of Texas as dry and brown. You keep proving me wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...some parts are, but down here in the sub tropical coast, it's pretty green year 'round.

      Delete
  3. Pretttttty
    Anni I thought of you yesterday on the way home from visiting my sil.
    It was foggy, rainy and just kinf of yuck the lo and behold I say a great blue heron just a few feet away standing proudly on the edge of a pond. What a beauty. Of course I didn't have my camera but my mind's eye took a great pic
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhhhh, I bet that was a pretty sight! I love fog, you know ---and a heron in the fog is a big plus.

      Delete
  4. I smiled at your collection, because there is a wide range of coverage. But i like most that crocodile as it doesn't look fierce from that photo or maybe because it is joined with birds and flowers, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to know you enjoyed the different array of nature this week Andrea

      Delete
  5. Great, beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos look very familiar to me, living in Florida! Nice to see something besides snow and ice photos!! Joyce's Hodgepodge questions are tough this week. I need to start working on them! I enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Terri, and oh........um, HAPPY BIRTHDAY

      Delete
  7. Love your photos except the alligator, we have killer crocodiles and these dangerous reptiles just don't cut it with me.
    For Advent we usually have an Advent wreath hanging over the table and four candles on the table lighting the first on the first Sunday, two on the next etc. we also have Christmas cookies at afternoon tea time when we light the candles. The smell of Christmas pervades the air and there is quiet peace in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The smells of Christmas".........nothing else can compare.

      Delete
  8. That pelican is trailing YOU behind him. I love those magnificent wings. And of course your Hodgepodge answers. You made me laugh at "vixen." Hope your cold is gone soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like your list... and your answers. :)
    Great photos and eclectic variety of critters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are always wonderful, and the ones you shared today are especially so!
    I've felt like Dasher the last few days. I'm waiting for a little calm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice variety Anni. Boots is a magnificent creature!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That 'gator sure looks relaxed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and that's a good thing, right? I wouldn't want to see one otherwise.

      Delete
  13. Our year has been very busy and I look forward to a quiet Christmas for the first time in years. Just me, hubby, son and daughter-in-law. I am sorry you have been feeling under the weather. I too am getting over one of the worst colds I have had in a long time, and after a restless night still can't figure if I am awake enough to put any good thought together. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Denise. And a quiet holiday sounds heavenly to me.

      Delete
  14. Your pictures are varied and beautiful and I love that you have an alligator named boots ... I also LOL when I read your answer to # 2. So you have made my day and it is only ten in the morning. Thanks Hootin' Anni :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...glad you enjoyed the little bit of humor this week Andrea.

      Delete
  15. I liked thi!!!! Well I think I have been Dasher lately and am ready to slow down.
    And I like QUIET!
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the quiet times ARE good.

      Delete
  16. I was awed by your poem. Do you have a book of them - if so, could you share more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you. I have a link to some of my work way at the bottom of my blog.

      Delete
  17. You did a random post, too! We're in sync today. :) Awesome collection.

    The ACA has effectively managed to spike our insurance rates to triple what we were paying. If you have a job that offers insurance, there's probably a negligible difference, but small business owners (like us) are certainly feeling the pinch. Grrrrrr.

    Thank you for looking up Hoo Shoo Too Rd. I tried to email you the first time you asked about it, but your email is not connected to your blogger account. And I kept forgetting to mention it on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, my email is a bogus one...I don't have time for emails AND blogging, so it's gotta be that way for me. As for the Road's name, it was an interesting bit of history.

      Delete
  18. i love the red-eyed night-herons. :) and after this winter weather pattern, i agree with you on electricity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's been nasty cold, even this far south!!

      Delete
  19. Beautiful birds and Texas coastal scenery. We loved it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there is something about Texas....no matter what area of the state, that is pretty. If you're ever here in my area again, we can go birding together perhaps?

      Delete
  20. A beautiful collection of photos - I especially like the Heron and the two sky photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely series! I love the flying pelican and the heron.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! The orange tree berries re my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the macro of the berries.

      Delete
  23. lovely nature shots and my favourite is the heron

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anni, lovely collection of images. I love the Night Heron and the Pelicans. Have a great evening and a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a happy week yourself, Eileen!

      Delete
  25. Is that a lemon tree, and a pelican in flight? I always think the pelicans look so prehistoric when they fly, don't you? Kind of like pterodactyls. I agree about putting the decorations away, I do NOT like it. Just what IS it that the pope is doing to shake everyone up. People are talking about it, but I have heard nothing on the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think it's citrus...it was berries of some kind. And yes, I agree, Pelicans do look prehistoric.

      Delete
  26. Great collection for nature's notes- that gator looking grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...his long love had died recently...I think he was lonely.

      Delete
  27. Love the shots.
    You know, I've never even had an advent calendar, ever.
    I also dread packing up the decorations and getting them put away. Could explain why every year I want to pull out less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as far as Advent, I too have not had a calender.

      Delete
  28. Oh I can't stand alligators. I don't even like to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind 'em....at a DISTANCE. lol

      Delete
  29. beautiful pics!!!!....I am getting my hodgepodge up thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just popped in, and you haven't answered the questions yet, so I hope to find time later to return and read what you have to say.

      Delete
  30. Interesting questions and your answers. I might choose to be Dancer, it sounds graceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been much in the line of being graceful. More power to you Terra

      Delete
  31. Wonderful nature collage! Right now I wish I were Dasher, well at least wish I could dash about like I used to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh me too. I used to have all my holiday things/chores done in a day or two. Now there is no dash left in me. ;o)

      Delete
  32. So funny that taking the decorations down didn't occur to me as an answer. Almost everyone has said that! Maybe I'm blocking : ) Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's a chore. No fun compared to taking them out and putting them around the house.

      Delete
  33. Hope your cold leaves quickly, I dread putting away the decorations and no one likes to help with this chore, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's just the idea of lugging all the storage boxes in and out the house that keeps me from being overly excited about the chore.

      Delete
  34. HI Anni I like the collage especially the Gatter and stormy sky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the day that sky was so ferocious looking I thought sure 'nough a tornado was brewing somewhere close by.

      Delete
  35. We had the same answer for #5! Sorry to hear that the 'bug' is still with ya'. Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel much better the past couple of days...but it all still lingers. What I need is some sunshine and fresh air. Get out of the bug infested house [bug being cold bug, not bugs literally of course....hehehehehe]

      Delete
  36. Great set of pictures. Glad you liked my 'wordy' post - as you may notice, I put a bit of work into it.

    Ramdon thought: will I ever get used to Christmas being in summer?

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that would take some getting used to being summertime and Christmas. Oh yes, I enjoyed reading your post along with the bird images this week Stewart

      Delete
  37. Very different habitat and wildlife from my own which gives me a chance to see something different...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it IS quite different from here to your area. ;o)

      Delete
  38. Your reindeer description was very funny!! merry Christmas, Rudy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fabulous pics as always, Anni! I totally enjoyed your hodgepodge answers.

    ReplyDelete

.