my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Bah Humbug---

NATURE NOTES & WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY...It was chilly, damp, and quite cold weather-wise for a good part of the past week. Erik got here late Tuesday evening, and we stayed up until around 2 a.m. talking. After a few hours' sleep we drove to the islands for just a leisurely drive...tho we did stop at a couple of birding areas with the camera in hand. Along the highway, heading to the refuges I spied three hawks. Two at one, perched together, and a few yards down the road a bit from those two, a single hawk was spied. Now the single hawk is the one I had difficulty id'ing. In fact I posted the photo on the online What Bird Is This Forum and asked for help. I received several responses and as many different ID suggestions. By late afternoon I returned to the forum to read the most recent responses, and one suggested that this particular hawk was a juvenile White-tailed Hawk. I was skeptic. He also told me to not let the idea of the juvenile leave my thoughts...and to contact Bill such and such as he is a hawk expert in my area of Texas and has photographed and co-authored several hawk guides. I then went out online in search of an email address to Mr. "C" and found it...attached the one photo I got of the hawk and his response the very next morning was "A beautiful image of a Juvenile White Tailed Hawk".

The first photo is of the juvenile, and the 2nd photo is of an adult White Tailed Hawk -- Both photos are taken on the same stretch of highway between Corpus Christi and Port Aransas, Texas. Different days, but near the same spot of each image.




With the cold spell and wet rain we had [one day close to the freezing mark in temperature] our plants in the yard are beginning to perk up and bloom a lot. They too suffered from the long hot summer and now enjoying the cooler nights and days---






JOYCE'S WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE


1. The 2013 word of the year according to Oxford Dictionaries is 'selfie'? Your thoughts? When did you last take a selfie? Do you post them online somewhere? Do you prefer to be in front of the camera or behind the lens? I don't even know what this means!! But by the 2nd and 3rd part of this question, I'm assuming it's a self portrait/picture of myself?---Then, I rarely have my picture taken, and the only one I have is my blog profile. Would I prefer being in front or behind the lens-------behind!!

2. Will you send out Christmas cards this year? If so, are they ready to go? If not, are you glad or sad about leaving that tradition behind? I don't send out bunches of Christmas cards any longer, except for three people. My son, my daughter and my sister. That's all that counts these days. And I don't buy them boxed, I shop for special ones.

3. Do you trust easily? No!

4. Pine-cinnamon-peppermint-vanilla (as in sugar cookie)...of those listed, which one is your favorite December scent? Pine of course.

5. Did you do more talking or more listening yesterday? Was that by choice or necessity? Talking mostly. May not have been a necessity for the most part. Guess I'm just naturally gabby.

6. What's the last song that got stuck in your head? Sorry if it's back there now :)
Bud and I had a DVD disk in the player yesterday while I began decorating the tree...NCIS, so naturally that song went through my head all afternoon.

7. Which world explorer (in the whole history of the world) would you most like to have traveled with, and why? I don't know if he was considered an explorer, but Jacques Cousteau comes to mind. To explore the unknown depths of the ocean and discover hidden treasures both is material things and aquatic creatures would have been a phenomenal experience.


8. Insert your own random thought here.
* * *I have a bout of flu or a nasty cold. Ever since Wednesday this past week. I feel run down, coughing my head off, no OTC medication is helping so I'll just have to let it run its course. Now, as of yesterday Bud says he's feeling the symptoms I had last week. It's a vicious cycle!!  And since Christmas is coming all too quickly this year, and Erik being here for nearly a week, along with Bud and I feeling quite puny---there will be very little in decorating this year.  And, for me, that's a huge Bah Humbug.  :o(

Sidebar Linking to Nature Notes, WBW, and Hodgepodge

76 comments :

  1. So sorry you aren't feeling well, Anni. How nice it must be to have flowering plants in your yard right now, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winters are pretty much quite mild. Flowers love this time of year. Cool nights, warm days. Thanks for the get well wishes.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Hope you can shake it soon. I enjoyed your post, as always!! Take care, now, and get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hawks are very handsome. I'm sorry you're not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawks are majestic I agree...and thanks Gunilla.

      Delete
  4. I hope you and Bud get over it quickly. What a bummer to be sick, ever, but now when you want to be well to spend time with Erik. I thought your stamp was a bug on the hibiscus! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Erik is back in Houston, it was the week of Thanksgiving he was here. LOL on the copyright logo thinking it was a bug. LOL

      ...and thanks DJan.

      Delete
  5. I hope you both get over the crud quickly- it's really been going around. Those hawk pics are terrific. I had our two pups outside and there were many hawks perched nearby, evidently watching us. One swooped past within a few feet of the pups, so I gathered them up quickly and we hurried back inside. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya....little puppies are prime targets. Glad you got 'em in where they were safe.

      Thanks Shelly.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry you are feeling under the weather. Drink plenty of fluids and get your rest. Hopefully it'll cycle through your house quickly. :/

    The white tailed hawk sighting is marvelous!! Wow, so impressive. Yay for Anni!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we see a lot of these hawks on the islands. Thanks for the concern...I WILL drink plenty of fluids. So much so right now, that I'm gurgling. LOL

      Delete
  7. Wow, two of them! What majestic looking birds. Terrific captures Anni! What a gorgeous hibiscus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of year, the hibiscus is a welcome colorful part of our yard. Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  8. Occasionally, we will spot a hawk and at rare moments even eagle while in the mountains. Big birds such as these are pretty awesome and majestic. I need to play Joyce's Wednesday Hodgepodge hop, but I've gotten off track at half point this year. But, there's hope I'll get back into the groove. Now, I just love the cinnamon scent in the home at Christmas, but I prefer to eat peppermint treats. I think I made mention in today's post that Michael Bubl è's "All I Want for Christmas is You" is the song that's stuck in my head. I hope you're feel well soon. This isn't a good time to be sick. Saying a prayer that you're back to your old self soon. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce's Hodgepodge is a favorite of mine!!! Thanks for the prayers.

      Delete
  9. the white-tail is really pretty with his grayish head! hoping you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the get well wishes Ms. T.

      Delete
  10. Feel better soon. Living in the town of live oaks and friendly folks we see a lot of Spanish Moss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula...and, I love seeing the moss hanging off the limbs. Especially when it's near water.

      Delete
  11. White-tailed Hawk!!!! Yeah!!! That's one awesome bird! Feel better! And pine is my favorite as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like pine scent so much I spray the house indoors with it sometimes.

      Delete
  12. I hope your flu/cold gets better soon. The hawks are magnificent and the Spanish Moss very interesting. Hibiscus seem to do well in lots of places - one in my front yard is blooming in spite of the long dry spell and little birds come to it most days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick. Oh yes, I bet that is so fun to watch all the little birds in the hibiscus.

      Delete
  13. Nice post. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful birds to see...
    Take care and I hope you feel well soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Andrew

      Delete
  15. Great hawk shots!
    I love pine too - it smells like Christmas to me. Sure hope you and Bud both feel better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, nothing like the scent of pine to make it 'feel' more like home and Christmasy.

      Delete
  16. sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I don't know how much decorating will get done around here. I thought about it the other day and just hate the thought of dragging all that stuff out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get myself into pulling out all my 100s of santas this season...too weak. That's what I'm sticking by; no one can make me do it. ;o)

      Delete
  17. I am so sorry! Quite a few bloggers are sick with the flu this week! It must have started for the season. the fuchsia hibiscus is gorgeous, is it yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's in our back yard.

      Delete
  18. Anni, sorry you are not feeling well. I hope you get well soon! Love the hawks shots and congrats on your sightings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen. Loved your snowy owl image shares today. Wow.

      Delete
  19. Get better!!!! Oh to see blooming flowers! Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from what I just read this morning, the flowers aren't gonna like what's coming our way.

      Delete
  20. I just love to solve an id mystery, my favorite kind puzzle... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this one was difficult 'cause so many other hawk look way too similar.

      Delete
  21. The flowers are pretty and the hawks handsome! Hope you're feeling much better soon! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. so sorry you are not feeling well. I love the hawks thanks for sharing, living in OK it is not out of the norm to see the juvies at all. If you ever catch the rosetta spoon bills I love those they are awesome. hugs to you and fell better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have TONS of spoonbills in this area.

      Delete
  23. I'm lucky enough to have hawks visit my yard regularly but invariably identify them wrong. Doesn't help that I can get close enough for a good photo. Selfies? Only to decide if I really do like new glasses--I do. But not for publication--seems a bit self involved. Hope you get your mojo back soon, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Faye. I did notice you had a hawk near your bird feeders in your WBW post. Wow.

      Delete
  24. Sorry you're feeling rotten, hope whatever it is clears up soon! We see a lot of hawk here. There is one in particular I refer to as mine : ) He pretty much lives in a big tree behind our house and he is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to have hawks in my vicinity!!! Jealous, I am.

      Thanks Joyce

      Delete
  25. Jacques Cousteau is a really good answer. It would be so neat to see the things he discovered.

    Hope you and your family feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see where you picked N. Armstrong...how interesting and such a super choice!

      thanks Cathy, for the well wishes.

      Delete
  26. What kind of lens do you use, Anni, to get such great shots of birds? I used to always love watching Jacques Cousteau on TV when I was a kid. Made me want to become a marine biologist...for a little whie, anyway. Hope you feel better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my camera has a great zoom lens...but it's attached, no separate lens. the camera is a Nikon Cool Pix

      Thanks April, for the well wishes

      Delete
  27. Hope you feel better soon! I had to goggle 'selfie'! It is hard for me to easily trust someone, too. Drink plenty of liquids!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's because I've been burned too many times...AND growing up with three older brothers always picking on me. Never outgrew the distrust of their shenanigans. LOL

      Thanks Tammy.

      Delete
  28. So sorry to hear you are not feeling well, sweetie. Take care and get better soon! Love the hawks pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the get well wishes Veronica!

      Delete
  29. that´s beautiful hawks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the hawk images.

      Delete
  30. I don't believe we have "white tail hawks" here but we have "red tail hawks"...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as far as I know, reading hawk guides, these particular are only in south Texas. [and Mexico]

      Delete
  31. It is fixing to get cold here. I'm glad you got that hawk Id'd. I call all hawks "chicken hawks" and people seem to be believe me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now that reminds me of the chicken hawk and the rooster cartoon on Looney Tunes. LOL

      Delete
  32. Those are amazing pictures of the hawks! I can never seem to get close enough to get a decent picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay...I must say, forget the hawk photos, I want some of your popcorn!!!

      Delete
  33. Nice captures. I'm always excited to see hawks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Pat. Hawks can be a tricky subject...so elusive sometimes.

      Delete
  34. Be very careful with your "cold." My husband thought he had a cold for 3 weeks and had pneumonia! Hawks dwell here and swoop in after the baby ducks in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...that is exactly what I was thinking...pneumonia.

      I bet the hawks think they're in a part of heaven then, come Spring.

      Delete
  35. Great choice for an explorer! Wish I'd thought of him.

    So sorry to hear that you and Bud are under the weather! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the pictures of the Hawks ... We have a small hawk that lives nearby but never close enough to get a picture. So sorry you are sick. Get well soon so you can enjoy Christmas.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  37. hi Anni. hope you and your hubby will feel better soon. love the Hawk and flower shots. lovely to still have these pretty flowers in your. Yard.

    ReplyDelete

.