“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





No Delivering babies...but I do have a stork or two...


WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
nature notes



Barn Swallow Nest

Tri-colored Heron [left] Roseate Spoonbill [right]

Roseate Spoonbill Trio

Roseate Spoonbill

Wood Stork

Wood Stork on the run...

Wood Stork Couple

[this outing is explained a bit in #8 random in my Hodgepodge section today]







WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

1. Picture postcards were first printed back in the mid-1800's and deltiology is the official name for postcard collecting. When did you last send a postcard? Receive one? Do you save postcards sent to you? Do you collect and/or send postcards when you travel? Oh my goodness. I can't even remember when I sent one. Maybe 30 years ago, from somewhere where we were on vacation. And the last time I received one would most likely be from my sister...again, many many many years ago. No, I don't save them.

2. What treat do you most like to indulge in while on vacation? I guess it would be local cuisine. I like to experience fine foods. Or if it isn't a certain kind of food, then it would be most likely a special place/tourist area on my list.

3. Are you good at hiding your feelings? Sometimes. It depends. If it's something I feel with Bud, then, no. I tell him outright, unless I'm out for revenge, then I keep it quiet 'til I take action, LOL. But if I feel something about the kids' way of life, I usually hide my feelings for the fact that I want them to live life like they want without me buttin' in. Oh and I have oftentimes secretly flipped someone off who cuts in front of me when I am driving; making me brake!!

4. Does your town/city/county still deliver telephone books to your home? Do you check the yellow pages when searching for a local business number or has the internet replaced the phone book in your home? Yes, and I immediately put them in the recycle bin. No, I don't use the yellow pages --- my preference is the 'local' app on my smartphone if I need to contact a certain establishment, or use my contact list for 'plumber' or 'electrician' or insurance, etc. Something that is of common use, I have them on my phone already. Even a tow truck.

5. Would you rather be first or last? Well now, that would again be "depends". If I am at the store checkout line, I'd rather be first. Just to get out quicker. But if I were chosen to be a scientific experiment, I think I'd rather be last in line.

6. July is National Park and Recreation Month (in America, but everyone can still play along)...where and when were you last in a park? Did you participate in any recreational activities while you were there? We go to local parks quite often. For walking, fresh air, and birding!! At our age, that is our recreational activity.

7. What was one of your worst ideas? I can't recall specifically...guess it would be some project around the house that would entail days of work. Like deciding to do the floor tiles ourselves! Ripping the old stuff up was NOT as easy as the contractors make it look. LOL

8. Insert your own random thought here. This past Sunday, Bud and I drove to the 'other side of the tracks'. In other words, behind all the oil refineries and freight train tracks - between the refineries and the river that empties into the Bay of Corpus Christi. It's funny...wherever we've lived before, the 'wrong side of the tracks' expression makes one think of the slums, right? And again, wherever we've lived before, it has always been the case of the south end of the cities/towns where we've resided we'd find the empty, run-down homes/yards. Except here ---the 'other side of the tracks' is the north bay. But, let me explain a bit. It seems in Texas, there is 'no boundary' to the bad side of town/any town. You have a run-down home right next to a beautiful newly built home. Or you have a fancy restaurant and within the same block but a bit further away you may come across a shanty or one that has been abandoned and not kept up at all. There just seems to be no ordinances and/or property districts [zoning laws] anywhere in this state. I see this no matter where in Texas we go.  And for that fact, we have Ocean Drive where some of the over-priced mansions are sitting high and pretty and the boulevard itself is bumpy, full of pot holes and rough-edged bike lanes. Then you drive where we went Sunday morning, where you can see in plain view, piles of rubbish and torn down pieces of metal from reconstructing parts of the refineries themselves...the highway is brand new with a new finished corridor that takes you around the city...fancy, smooth, and well maintained. Go figure And of course, our Sunday outing had an ulterior motive...someone told us that at Tule Lake, between the river and the road, there were a lot of Spoonbills and Wood Storks to be seen. We saw a few of each, along with a couple of Tri-colored Herons, a black necked stilt, several barn swallow [and a mud nest of the swallows under the roofing of the observation deck shown above in birding photos], sea gulls and one lone least tern. In the surrounding trees, grackles and red-winged black birds serenaded us.  My intention from the get-go was to photograph the wood storks!!  I've only seen one since I took up bird photography as a hobby, and that was last year. I've also been informed that this area is good for sighting owls. I didn't see any, but I can understand why it's a good area...probably LOTS of food for them with all the rubbish, there's bound to be tons of mice and rats. Owls love those. I will show you a few more photos of the refineries and oil rigs, etc.  on my Friday post, if I find some time during the next few days to work on framing them off the camera....the 'poor side of town'. Heck, the homes may not be shining and outstanding in this area, but it certainly isn't the 'poor side' when I think about it. There is MONEY in those refineries!!

86 comments :

  1. Wow, love the Bird photos and great answers.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spoonbills and wood storks are amazing. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Carver, glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  3. Wow..they are beautiful birds, and beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol...it's a good thing you SECRETLY flipped people off....here in our town (I don't know if this is a city thing or a Texas thing...so be careful coming through our town), it's a $500 fine if you flip someone off. And with all the cell phone cameras these days, someone could prove it. lol

    Love all your bird photos....and I don't hide me feelings well. You will know if I get mad or irritated with you. And I NEVER hide my feelings from my hubby....see my post today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no....I'd never do it visibly. Usually under the door panel away from view! LOL

      Delete
  5. No delivering babies...but you have a stork or two...
    anni you are so funny!!
    Hugs and thanks for the smiles
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...got a 'kick' out of my title did you? LOL

      Delete
  6. the wood storks are so cool and prehistoric. i got to see one up here at run*a*round one winter a few years ago. just fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I've only seen 'em in Texas. Never in Florida where most see them. Ironic

      Delete
  7. My husband works at one of those refineries, so I agree that it's not typically what you think of when you think of the poor side of town! Your #5 made me laugh out loud- truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yep, I would make sure the experiments went well beforehand.

      And as for your "Pancho Villa" post...I think maybe I misspelled his name. Dear me...Bud would have a hissy fit. [insert a snort from the peanut gallery]. All I know is I'm LOVIN' your posts on this.

      Delete
  8. I love birds so it's always so interesting to see birds I've never seen before. The spoonbill and stork are beautiful! Love the colors of the spoonbill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...they're such a pretty pink. I read somewhere where they were near extinction because woman wanted the pink feathers for their fans [Victorian Era]

      Delete
  9. Delightful gems of nature in your wonderful photography ~ happy week to you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. LOL...guess that's why they call me "hootin'"

      Delete
  11. I do love the spoonbills - how pretty they are. Almost like flamingos in colour! I used to collect postcards as a child and often wonder what happened to my collection! You had me wondering when I read your blog title :) I wondered if you'd taken to midwifery! Take care now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh my, I could barely deliver my own TWO kids. No way on the midwifery. Oh lordy...I'm just speechless. LOL

      Delete
  12. I always love your bird pics, and those storks are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're on the verge of ugly. But still, a neat bird.

      Delete
  13. OH, I love these spoonbills! And the storks...did you know there is an angel-like female creature in the bible with long hair and the wings of a stork? She carries a scroll, the only instance in the whole bible of an angel that is not a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I did not know that Ginny...where in the Bible?

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous bird post, Anni! I love the spoonbill shots. They are cool looking birds. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed them Eileen. I knew you'd like the spoonbills. They're becoming a favorite of mine. Especially with the fact that they were so near extinction years ago.

      Delete
  15. I didn't know spoonbills could be so colourful. The only birds I've seen with that colour plumage was a flamingo. I understand the depth of the colour is determined by how much shrimp the flamingo eats. (At least that's what the guide at the zoo said.) I wonder, does the same apply to a spoonbill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so...Spoobill 'chicks' are nearly a grayish white when hatched.

      Delete
  16. Love the birdies! The spoonbill is one of my very favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there! Always fun to visit you here! Thanks for the reminder to check that htpp:// hahaha!

    My the time flies by so quickly. Hope all is well with you and know I love stopping by. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just glad I could help out Anne

      Delete
  18. I love your storks and herons. And my phone books go to the same place yours do! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, for some of us, the phone book seems, in a way, prehistoric.

      Delete
  19. My Loverbrains is an engineer...and we've been strongly considering a TX move in the future. I really enjoyed your informative post...although...the whole nice house next to slum thing is a bit off putting I must say. The wild life looks exotic!! How neat...thanks for all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, don't let that scare you off from relocating to Texas...it's not that way ALL over...just in certain areas.

      Delete
  20. Superb shots of these bids!
    Great captures and presented so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you kindly Indrani.

      Delete
  21. Love those amazing bird shots. You and I both love local cuisine (#2). You can truly find some amazing restaurants by listening to locals. I am not a big fan of expensive chains (Pineapple Willies in PCB is one example) The food is not always the best and not always fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If driving...on interstate and state highways, I was always told to check out for truckers...if there are a lot of semi-trucks parked then the food is superb!! I find that true in most cases.

      Delete
  22. Your bird photographs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your bird photos today are so gorgeous. I love those roseate spoonbills. They're so pink! Birds always remind me of how very creative God is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that indeed Joyce, they ARE special creatures. And, glad to know you enjoyed viewing my photos this week.

      Delete
  24. Your photos are always so enjoyable. They also help me feel more normal...I have hundreds of bird photos on my computer, but who else besides me would enjoy flipping through them? ;)

    Then again, your talent is more advanced, so maybe if I were taking these sorts of pictures, my husband wouldn't sigh and roll his eyes so much. Haha!

    Have a great day, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...trust me, I'd LOVE to go through your bird photos!!!

      Delete
  25. Great shots of the storks and the spoonbills!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm wondering just how long it will be before phone books become a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, me too. I've often thought the very same.

      Delete
  27. Loved the pictures of the storks. We love to go birding in our parks as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just stay cool indoors at the malls 'til the heat wave moves out. Then, you perhaps can go birding again.

      Delete
  28. Hi Annie ~~ Or, a biggo Texas Howdy to you returned!!

    I like all your storks. Are some cranes? Guess I get weird when I don't know all the animals. Can you imagine that I used to mix up lions and tigers? Being on a Nebraska farm and never going to a zoo (no TV or Google either) an only having the Sambo book to go by, I just couldn't remember. Mrs. Jim did't have much patience for me over that.

    I would like to go through your Post Cards. My sister has saved every one she has gotten and quite a few of the ones she has sent.
    Ham radio people still us post cards for QSL'ing so I have a box of those.

    I can imagine people not living on the wrong side of the tracks. I've lived all over them back in my second and fourth lives. When I was in college I would sing when I walked through them late at night. Good think Nebraska didn't have "Stand your ground" laws then or I might be dead. Then again, perhaps not because ...
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...no cranes in these photos Jim. Spoonbills, tri-colored herons and the storks. Glad you took time to stop by and say Howdy!!

      Delete
  29. I love learning more about blog friends... and I enjoyed all the nature shots..thank you so much for being a part of Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...and thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  30. Love your storks and spoonbills. Love that color of the spoonbills... AND please don't send any babies this way.. Been there--done that!!!! ha

    Right now, since it's a hot day and since we don't use AC here --saving money so that we can travel, I indulge in lots of AC when we travel in Summer, both in our car and in motels.... LOVE it... ha

    I loved your answer about being first or last... Great answer.... I do know that I HATE being in a long line in the grocery store.... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that makes sense as I know you two love to go places and see pretty waterfalls!!

      Delete
  31. You photos never fail to make me go, "ooh" and "ahh"! You are quite the talent! Please be sure to stop by my blog and enter my Easy Canvas Giveaway for a FREE 8 x 10 canvas. Would be perfect for one of your bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the heads up April....and it's good to see you back on Wednesday.

      Delete
  32. I send postcards quite ofern to promote my art. But not so much on vacation anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the visit Sharon

      Delete
  33. We like to visit the National Parks as well. This country has so much to offer, if you just look around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yep, there is pretty everywhere if you just look around.

      Delete
  34. Replies
    1. Denise, I can't find your Shortybear's blog any more?!!

      Delete
  35. I think those roseate spoonbills are spectacular

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that they are, I agree.

      Delete
  36. Wow, Anni...that is an extreme post! Love pics of the birds, just awesome. Nothing in home make-over is as easy as it looks. I am here with you on your first/last in line thoughts. I pick my battles.

    Oh, and if you want zoning nightmares in Texas...come to the Big D and surrounding cities. It is laughable in some respects as to the hoops you have to jump through.

    Sorry I hadn't stopped by in a while!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Texas has the weirdest zoning laws I've ever dealt with.

      Delete
  37. Your answer to #5 cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Anni, thanks for the storks and I am amazed at you having pink herons, the ibis I had seen before but the herons are new to me. Over here we just think of pink flamingos.
    Hugs . . . Arija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Arija, the pink birds are called Spoonbills. I'm happy to know you enjoyed my post!

      Delete
  39. Great bird photos and I like your answer for whether you would rather be first or last

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, in all honesty, I think I'd find a way to sneak out of the 'line' of the experiments. LOL

      Delete
  40. You always have the most interesting posts.
    I love all the birds shown here.
    Corpus is such a fun place...we always loved our trips there.
    Since my sister in law that lived on the island died, and her hubs moved to the Hill country, we don't visit Corpus anymore...sure had some fun times there.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's okay. Not much to do 'round here tho for us older folks other than birding. But the beaches are a good draw for me too. LOL

      Delete
  41. Oh I want to see young in the Swallow's nest, I so adore Swallows of all species. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...for our area, I think the babies have become fledglings by now.

      Delete
  42. Love the pink birds! The people next door are off to Canada for two years next week (sad face) - my daughter will miss climbing up the fence for a chat!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwwww, and two years will seem like an eternity!

      Delete
  43. Splendid photographs of a beautiful collection of birds!

    ReplyDelete

.