my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




...flowers everywhere

Ever since my slow blogging days when I was doing all the work on the bird photos and dvds and cleaning out my computer of so many bird images, I just never did get back into the 'groove' of writing on my blog every day.  I've lost the mojo it takes.  Since summer has arrived there isn't much birding going on around here either. The migratory birds have obviously left and we are now in the mercy of the year 'round residents. I'm counting the days when we can go out on our daily day trips to the best of the best birding areas for the Fall Migration -- soon, the largest land bird of North America will return to South Texas - the whooping crane.  In the summer heat, with the meds I'm on, I'm really not supposed to over expose myself to the high temps, I guess it's a good thing there are no migratory birds around now. But hey, if I keep myself hydrated, I think I can walk an hour or two outdoors.  Leaving early enough in the day, when the temps are still mildly warm is better of course. Bud and I walked the Whitecap Beach yesterday on Padre Island.  Then, on the way back from the island, I convinced him to stop at my favorite curio shop on the island to check out the wind chimes and goodies...I bought nothing.

Oh and by the way, when I type about birding, it reminded me... After cleaning the one hummingbird feeder that remains outdoors all summer this week, I noticed that one of the snap on yellow flowers was missing when I brought it indoors to scrub. My case of finding fault with this is that a lot of woodpeckers frequent the feeder and I have it pictured in my mind that the flower snap-on is around the beak of a woodpecker and he is suffocating!!! That's all kinds of wrong ---so in order to file a concern with this, I am going to write to any company that sells these kinds and suggest PAINTING [or better yet mold the flowers into the container] the flowers around the nectar opening / sugar water...so the beaks of larger birds such as woodpeckers and orioles, etc. won't suffer any. It just makes sense. And when they are in stores I frequent, and our several feeders need replacing, I will make sure I purchase different ones without the snap-on flowers.

And since so many complimented on my collages, I thought I'd take some more of the many photos in folders and make three more. I'll tell you what's on them just underneath each so you have an idea what they are. I made 'em extra large, so if you click on them they should embiggen at your touch:

from left to right/top to bottom:  This one of the mermaid is the entire outer structure of the curio shop I love [and mentioned above]  It's an outdoor fountain, and as large as the building itself -which is quite huge.  The whole store is structured like a large sand castle.  The bird is a sanderling I believe.  The turtle is a replica of the Kemp Ridley Sea Turtle that is indigenous to this area of the Gulf.  It's displayed in the Parks Museum/Souvenir shop at the National Seashore on Padre Island.  Bottom on the left is just a foggy morning beach walk with the fog breaking up and the sun is peeking through.  The moth was something what I called an UFO...I can not identify it!!  The macro lavender flowers was photographed in a downtown park here in Corpus, and the last one...a windmill.  I tend to quickly become attached to windmills like this....it takes me back to my youth and my grandparents' farm!!

from left to right/top to bottom:  The tree...taken during the winter at one of Kingsville Texas's parks where Bud and I birded one day.  I thought it would make a good and spooky header for Halloween...yes, you know me & Halloween!!  The dolphins are part of the complete layout at the curio shop mentioned above.  Sailboat in Port Aransas, Texas on Mustang Island.  Bottom on the left is a photo of a starling.  In the middle is my Mexican Bird of Paradise after a longtime heavy downpour earlier this year.  The back yard tends to flood easily.  And the last one....that is my beautiful Tahoe...her gorgeous eyes are mesmerizing.

from left to right/top to bottom:  A hot pink cactus blooming in our back yard earlier this Spring.  I can't share Tahoe's pretty eyes without sharing a Winston eye...his deep turquoise eyes melt my heart.  The tall teenager is my youngest grandson...holding his Chess Championship Trophy!!  The green parrot makes his  home at the Corpus Christi Botanical Gardens.  Bottom on the left is an egret stretching its neck above the bushes from which I was hiding.  The pink and white flower image in the middle is one of my amaryllis --below that is a cardinal and to the cardinal's right is a miniature golf course on Padre Island.  Reminds me of a Mideast desert oasis.



52 comments :

  1. Happy weekend, Anni! I can not say how many of those little flowers are missing from my hummingbird feeders over the years. It is weird how they go missing. I love your collages and the birds. Pretty captures of Tahoe and Winston's eyes. One of my favorites is the hot pink flower on the cactus. Very pretty. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that cactus plant was moved here with us from Tucson. LOL

      Delete
  2. Tahoe'e eyes are gorgeous, and your grandson is handsome, as well. Loved your collages. I know the one in Kingsville- pass by that park every day.

    Dreaming of fall days with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh yes, cooler days ahead. LONG time ahead tho. LOL

      Delete
  3. I love your collages, too. That sanderling looks so dainty, and the colors of the cactus are almost unreal! Nice job, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cactus. I brought it with me from Tucson.

      Delete
  4. I think your moth is a tiger moth!
    They are cool, with colours underwing when they spread their wings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool critter collage ~ happy weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful images! and I LOVE your header image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks times two Kerri.

      Delete
  7. schöne Collagen Anni

    LG vom katerchen zum Wochenende

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos. Have a fabulous weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really enjoyed your collages. The Tahoe's eyes are amazing. It is interesting how those little flowers disappear! Happy Critter Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so, the flowers have disappeared off your feeders also?

      Delete
  10. Your idea for the feeder is a good one! Love the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you'd think the way things are these days with wildlife protection acts, that this would've been considered before!

      Delete
  11. love the hot pink cactus bloom! ours up here are all yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, the wild ones here are all yellow also. This hot pink one was purchased at a plant nursery in Tucson and I moved it with me from there to here.

      Delete
  12. Great collages! I always enjoy your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your weekend my friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope your weekend was good for you Denise.

      Delete
  14. I think one of the last two of the collages would be my favorite!!! Uh oh to the flower...more likely that some frisky squirrel pulled off, they can really do a number with those little paws and claws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hmmmm, squirrels on a hummingbird feeder? I did NOT know this before Ginny

      Delete
  15. I would be worried about the woodpeckers too. I have a glass hummer feeder with drop in flowers. The holes are quite large. You do make lovely collages! I like the mermaid in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am sure to buy different ones next time.

      Delete
  16. Lovely wonderful collages, I really like how you arranged these photos. I can't choose a favorite one. :)

    have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never had one of those hummingbird feeders, but I will remember your post when I buy one. Great photos as always Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I am sure I'll buy different ones next time.

      Delete
  18. Hi there - nice post. I am in catch up mode after being in central Australia for a week - lots of images to check and delete!!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Stewart, I hope you had a great time

      Delete
  19. How sad to think one of those yellow flowers is stuck on the beak of a poor bird.
    Love the collages. So many pretty pictures. My favorites though are the close ups of the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both love our babies, don't we? Cat's eyes are mesmerizing.

      Delete
  20. Wow, I had forgotten how beautiful your photos are!
    My hummingbird feeders\ is on their last leg, thanks to a critter throwing it from the deck. The squirrels have eaten through the metal top of one of my bird feeders, and it keeps coming back, it must have a stomach of iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....those squirrels...cute, but invasive rascals!

      Delete
  21. Your collage photos are beautiful. It would be hard to choose a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have so much variety where you are Anni! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to know you enjoyed them Nancy

      Delete
  23. Enjoying your collages, Anni.
    Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for stopping by Lina

      Delete
  24. You do have beautiful collages!
    I also find it hard to get back into the grove of blogging if I don't do it often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's becoming a challenge to even do it twice a week like I've been doing these past couple of months.

      Delete
  25. Hi Anni
    Happy Monday!
    My hummers are eating me out of house and home but that is ok....they give me such joy with their antics.
    your collages are of course superb and I spy kitty eyes
    hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks M&M...and hugs right backatcha.

      Delete

.