my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




When it Rains...it Pours!

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY

Over the long holiday weekend, early Sunday morning, our exercise walking landed us at Indian Point Park - between Corpus Christi and Portland Texas. Just over the Harbor Bridge. There, we find several tidal ponds and fresh water lakes where most often year 'round, resident birds are seen on any give day/hour. As we drove to the Portland exit and turned back into the area where you can park your vehicle, once parked we were greeted with several of the beautiful pink birds; Roseate Spoonbills, flying in to land. Along the banks of the sandbars, they were feeding...with a few of the American Avocets joining in on their breakfasting. Altho the two mile walk [along the way there are two elevated observation decks] we also spotted Great Blue Herons, Snowy Egrets, Caspian and Royal Terns, Black Necked Stilts, Common Egrets, Reddish Egrets, Laughing Gulls, Wilson's Phalarope, Sparrows, Plovers, and of course, no matter where we go it seems, another Turkey Vulture soaring silently overhead. The sea breeze was comforting and not strong, the sky was partially overcast with sunlight breaking through now and then. Hikers, bikers, and fisherman were out and about early like we were. I forgot to put the SD card in the camera when we left home, so I didn't take too many photos, relying only on the camera's internal memory. At one point I played with the panoramic button on the camera, so the middle image should be enlarged to the panoramic view, to get the 'full effect'.... the Spoonbills taken from different spots on the trail. Yes, in the last photo...the blurred area behind the birds on the horizon...yes, that is oil rigs you see in the background...hey, it's Texas!!



_ _ _ * * * _ _ _


WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE
Joyce has these questions for us this week:



1. What question do you often ask yourself? "What day is this?"

2. Do you grow roses? What's your favorite color of rose? Ever been given a dozen roses? Where was the prettiest rose or rose garden you remember seeing? 1] yes 2] red [actually scarlet knight ---the bud is black and a deep rich ruby red with dark edged petals]...I also love the climbing rose, Don Juan Red. 3] Many times, until I finally convinced Bud to buy me something that would be worth the money instead of a bouquet of roses [or otherwise] that only lasts a few days. 4] My father's 40 acres...he had dozens of different roses in bloom every year!! His favorite was the yellow rose. I liked 'em all except for the white rose...it always looked 'ugly' after a day when it began turning brownish.

3. Do you read the freshness dates on grocery store products? Will you use eggs past their 'use by' date? Take medication that's expired? Buy a dented can? 1] yes 2] only in baking --but I test them first. Did you know that a bad egg will float to the top if placed in a bowl of water?!!! 3] never! 4] I have purchased dented cans without knowing. The 'dent' is bad ONLY if it's on the seam!

4. Should athletes be role models? Some...Derek Jeter is one I think kids can honestly look up to, he is diligent with his work...and a good person. At least that is his personification in public. On the other hand, some aren't. That "Vick" dude who had a dog fighting ring. Illegal and all kinds of wrong.

5. Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal became the first explorers to reach the top of Mt. Everest on this date (May 29) back in 1953. What's something you hope to achieve in your lifetime? I never set my goals to anything above what I knew I wouldn't accomplish. I'm happy to say I have achieved what I set out to do...become a wife, a mother and grandmother.

6. What would you do if you had twenty acres of land and the money to develop it any way you choose? I'd keep it 'undeveloped' with nature taking its course...and a log home nestled, hidden away from civilization.

7. If I invite you to a party with a 7 PM start time, what time will I actually see you there? Barring traffic jams or some mishap along the way, I'd probably be there on your doorstep, with proverbial bells, at 7PM.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Y'all know if you have followed me anytime recently how I've prayed begged for rain! And more rain! With the water table charts so far below normal and the reservoirs nearly emptied out and water restrictions have been implemented for the last year...South Texas was hit with heavy rain one day. Bud and I were out walking in a park in town, and the clouds rolled in heavy and black and ominous looking. At the far, far distance [by miles!] we could hear the faint, and continuous, sound...thunder rumbling. The black clouds off to the northwest of where we were were layered with white cottonball clouds and then they too turned black. We could see several white ibis just ahead of the storm front. I think they were gettin' the 'flock outta there'!! Anyway, it only sprinkled in the area we were, but the two of us knew that some parts of town [and hopefully OUR yard] was watered by nature! When we finished our walk, we hopped back in the car to drive down Shoreline/Ocean Drive ---only to find the street wet and puddles of rainwater in the gutters along the way, toward home. We drove to the Campus and by the time we got to another park on the south end of the city, the clouds were breaking up and the storm moved out of the vicinity. We stopped and walked our other 2 mile walk. The fragrance from fresh fallen rain on the parched landscape smelled grand! The few birds that ventured back out were singing praise for the refreshing wash of dew left behind on the tree leaves and along the pathway. Once we finished our trek along the path in the wooded areas, we began feeling the treacherous humidity and heat combined...glad to head home to an A/C filled house and our kitties. BUT!!! The whole point is: Once a drought breaks [and it's not over yet by a long shot]...there always seems to be heavy flooding behind it all....San Antonio and Beeville Texas were hit hard...fast and furious was the storming. Three people died in the San Antonio area while the rains fell by 10" an hour, the San Antonio River flooded from normal 35 feet to 60 something at the banks. Beeville Texas along the 181 highway was literally shut down...the highway was closed because of flooding---from both directions in and out of the small community! The old saying of when it rains it pours was taken literally this past weekend.

22 comments :

  1. such exquisite birds, wow!!! I'm glad you enjoyed my photos... the poem was based on a true story and the flower was one of the small treasures my new friend gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the question series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Roseate Spoonbills are all kinds of pretty. I haven't seen or heard of them.

    The athlete question is kind of a tough one. What kind of accountability do athletes in the public eye have to the children who look up to them? It'd be nice if it was a given that everyone wanted to set a good example, but that's of course not always the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, at least you got rain, and I am glad for that. The spoonbills are so COOL!!!!! They are a beautiful and colorful find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those roseate spoonbills- great pictures! I know Indian Point although I don't know the names of all the birds. The rain has been terrific, although I'm thankful we weren't flooded like those other areas. Our thirsty little ground has just sucked it all up.

    And the 20 acres? I'm right there with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos, Perfect for WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni, what a great place for birding and your exercise. Wonderful birds sightings and I love the Roseate Spoonbills. I like your answer to number 6, I would do the same. Wonderful post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Roseate Spoonbills are beautiful. I'm glad you got a little bit of rain out of the storm but pity the poor people who were nearly washed away by the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures. I've forgotten my SD card on more than one occasion and unless I'm just plain dense, my camera has no internal memory so I'm s.o.l. when I forget the card.
    Glad you got some rain, now I hope that it doesn't go overboard where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got some rain - even though it may have been a bit much. It's been pouring here the last few days, as I type it's another downpour and they say to expect more through the weekend. It's green here for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to see one! I may have to journey south Anni!

      Delete
  11. I love your bird pictures! We have amazing birds here in my part of the world too, the lowcountry of South Carolina. And... I agree with you about keeping the acres natural!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics, you indeed are in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will be asking the same question to #1 next week. This is my last week of school-woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the roseate spoonbills. We saw them in Tampa back in February...I don't think I'd ever seen one other than in a photograph. I'm glad you had some rain. We had rain all day yesterday, and that looks like our forecast for the next few days. I guess we need it...on the bright side, everything is finally green here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful birds! I too enjoy a walk after a fresh rain. I love that smell! Your father's roses sound so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too bad about so much rain in certain places all at one time.. Son Mark said they didn't get much of anything in the Houston area where he is.

    Love the spoonbills.. Such gorgeous birds.

    As you know, we grow roses. LOTS of them --and they are just now starting to bloom.

    I do look at the dates on fresh produce and dairy products --and try to get the best date. AND I definitely get rid of OLD medicines which is outdated.

    I'd do the same thing as you about land and a log cabin... I'd want nature to be in charge--but I'd want on top of a mountain with a waterfall nearby... ha ha

    I was raised to be on time to events/parties/things. I'm not a party person --but if I went, I'd be on time.

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome birds. Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We can't ever get just a little bit of rain in Texas, can we? Love those Spoonbills!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I write down the date pretty much every single day and I still ask myself that very question every day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anni,

    Since we stopped the song meme, sorry I have not visited. Been on a long trip and wrote another book.

    How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there - hard to believe the that birds are that colour! I'd love to see one. Hope you stay dry.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

.