“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Hidden Treasure...

While out checking for another elusive bird, the Chuck Will's Widow, at a nearby city park, we traipsed through the heavily wooded area and only saw it a couple of times as it flew by us so swiftly it was like a stealth bomber. It landed on a tree branch for a fleeting moment and flew away from us before I could even get my camera up to my eye to focus. Dang. Altho, it's a night bird [active hunting for insects] it does keep itself hidden in the brush, low to the ground, during the daylight hours. If you happen to 'scare it out'...it will fly. Some day I'm gonna be lucky enough to get a photo. LOL Well, after that trek, we decided to go across the street from the park. There, the Corpus Christi's division of The Nature Conservatory, has its 'headquarters' housed in none other than an historical home here in town.


While out on an Audubon Society's Bird Walk a few weeks past, the leader of the tour explained to us that this conservatory has turned the back yard into a sanctuary of nature. We didn't have the time to walk the grounds on that day, so when we were there trying to photograph a 'widow bird' at the park, we ventured over and walked through the back yard. Corpus Christi usually has an 'invasion' of chimney swifts [another night bird]; particularly this area of town. Why? Probably because the older homes and their chimneys do not have the 'new' protective enclosures that are being constructed on the chimney-tops as they are with today's newly built homes. But this certain back yard has purposely built a tall structure --- imitating a chimney....which you see in the image to the right. It supposedly attracts the swifts into hiding...and nesting eventually. Being daytime, there were no swifts either. But I have seen them flying the skies, just before sunrise. The cigar shaped bodies and distinctive flapping of the tiny wings, you know what it is before you can get them into the view of your binocular lenses.

At this point in time, other than other projects they're working on to conserve nature, the Nature Conservatory Society, a non-profit organization, is working diligently to save a migratory nesting area nearby in the Gulf Bay waters...Shamrock Island. Read about the island and what the conservatory is doing to save wildlife found on this particular piece of land by clicking here.

After you return back from reading the site's info on Shamrock Island, I will share a few more photos of their back yard...








Also, this weekend, I have posted about a special bird sighting that Bud and I experienced recently. This bird, according to their habitat range isn't even supposed to BE in TEXAS! And it's a beauty! [a special act of kindness was shared with Bud and me too, I wrote about it at I'D RATHER BE BIRDIN' <---don't miss out.]


34 comments :

  1. Love that chimney structure for the swifts. I also enjoyed reading in your other blog about the bird that's not even supposed to be here. My dad was telling me a birder friend of his saw orioles near Mustang Island who just landed out of sheer exhaustion. Guess the recent weather has battered them on their way home.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Hope you had a great Mother's Day too Shelly!!! As for the Orioles, they show up all around Corpus during migration. I got tons of photos. rofl [I just know I'd be exhausted too if I had to flap my wings over the Gulf] :::insert wink:::

      Delete
  2. Anni, I have heard about these Chimneys around Texas. they especially help the Chimneys Swifts keep warm on the cold nights. Sorry, you could not get a shot of the Chuck Will's Widow. At least you were able to see it, it is a cool bird. And one I would like to add to my life list. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure they'd get warm...what with fires in fireplaces. Kinda a scary thought.

      Delete
  3. This is such an interesting post Anni. I enjoyed reading it and loved looking at all the pretty photos. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...enjoy your week ahead too Denise. And thanks.

      Delete
  4. Oh my---love that chimney structure. Had never seen one of those before. So it's for the swifts? Neat! That Conservatory is obviously doing some GREAT work there. Love that old home.

    We have been on vacation at Ocean Isle Beach this past week. Am going to try to catch up on some blogging this week... ha.. Hope you are doing fine.

    Happy Mother's Day!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your trip was heavenly. Nothing better than a Springtime adventure.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful place! How nice to be able to see the birds and that beauty too!
    PS - Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, hope your mother's day was terrific, too, Mari.

      Delete
  6. This is a gorgeous pink flower, whatever it is. Looks almost like a blooming Foxglove. The Widow Bird, I had to Google it, never heard of it. It looks very hard to see. But what I wanted to know was why the name??? Never could find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't a clue to what the flower is, all I know is it took my breath away. The whole blooming bush was fantastic. And regarding the bird name...it's supposed to sing its name.

      Delete
  7. Such a nice post. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope your day has been a good one for you too, Lea.

      Delete
  9. That beautiful flower looks like a delicate, pendant collection of fine ceramics! Gorgeous! And love the old historic home! A grand design! Fascinating post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Hi Gemma, glad you enjoyed reading and viewing my post today.

      Delete
  10. Very interesting info about the swifts. Nice macro too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the kind of backyard I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too. I would love to have a pond again. We had one with a fountain in Tucson...not here. Sadly

      Delete
  12. Very interesting post - loved the chimney - great idea. What a beautiful conservatory - good work done there I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm sure with no doubt in my mind. Anyone doing work to 'save the planet' is good in my book.

      Delete
  13. I love your new header!!
    I also had to look up that Chuck Wills Widow and would like to know how it got its name.
    Love all of your Photos and I hope that you had a wonderful Mother's Day.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon....glad you liked my new header. When I was sent the graphic in my graphic email account [a member I am]...I saw the paint brush and the bird, and thought "This is so me". rofl

      I read somewhere that the Chuck Will's Widow is named for its song...the sound they sing at night sounds like "Chu quill wi do". I guess. Go online and type into your search engine the chuck will's widow song. Maybe You Tube has it.

      Delete
  14. I know you're going to persevere and get that shot one day! Lovely photo set, especially those pink blooms. Hope you had a nice Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we don't get a photo of them this Spring...maybe in the Fall [don't know if they're migratory or not tho.]

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. ...glad you liked this today Gunilla

      Delete
  16. I love that house that the nature conservatory is using for their headquarters. I also love your header

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks...I thought it depicted me to a tee. Painting, blogging, and birding. LOL

      Delete
  17. Hi Anni another wonderful post and OMCs we love your spring Header.
    Nose taps to Tahoe and Winnie
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you two enjoyed this post!!
      Nose taps from T&W to you dear Madi. ;o)

      Delete

.