my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Wednesday notes

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY


Northern Mockingbird






WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

JOYCE has these questions for us this week. If you'd like to participate, find on my right sidebar, the link is there.


1. April showers bring May flowers...what have you been showered with this month? Definitely NOT rain showers. Altho, the wind is blowing and the clouds are drizzling lightly...we need a deluge to make up for the lack of showers. Let's see, what have I been showered with this month? ---a long list of migrating birds that are showing up in South Texas, and Bud and I are showered with itineraries of 'hot spots' for birding. We've been out and about each and every day this entire month of April. We've been 'showered' with color of all the wonderful migrants in our yard, in the Coastal Birding Trails, and Audubon Parks!!  And all this explains just why I've not been blogging or visiting.  Just not  home enough these days.

2. What is the nature of compassion? Is it learned or innate? Can compassion be learned? If you're a parent is this something you've purposely sought to instill in your children, and if so how? We can only assume our actions speak volumes when we rear our children. But, the whole concept of learning compassion is up to the individual. You can't turn vinegar into honey. If it's there, surrounding your child, they can only mimic by seeing and learning. I guess. Does that make sense at all?

3. Do you prefer to watch romantic comedy or romantic drama...or are you rolling your eyes saying bring on the action flicks? I like movies, period. But I'd prefer action to romance!! Occasionally we'll watch one, in fact we just purchased Kiera Knightly's "Anna Karenina" And, pardon my description: IT SUCKED. [LOVED her diamond necklace tho...the one with the flower!!] Don't get me wrong, I do like comedy.  Comedy that is geared toward entertainment instead of the so called comedy today...it seems that movies just aren't what they used to be.  My favorite comedy is still an oldie but goodie; in no way romantic tho, unless you consider the LOVE of money.  IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD.

4. It's April which means baseball season is officially upon us here in the US of A. Humphrey Bogart is quoted as saying "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." Agree or Disagree? Totally agree. I'm a blue jeans and t-shirt kinda gal compared to an evening gown. It's just not my style. Gimme a ballgame to attend and I'm in heaven. [Except, what happened to the Yankees so far?!! Come on guys, get back in the winning groove here!!]  Wait, we're being asked about  hot dogs/roast beef....not the game itself.  Yep, it's still a hot dog at the ballpark for me.

5. What's something in your community or city that needs fixing or improving? The streets!!! [But that would entail getting rid of, or 'fixing' the city council. What a mess the council is!]

6. Share a song you enjoy that mentions flowers or a specific flower in its title. Well, it's not in the title, but an all time favorite is "I see trees of green, red roses too....I see them bloom for me and you." Louis Armstrong. WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD...


7. April 22nd is Earth Day...do you believe there's life on other planets? That wasn't the question you were expecting was it? LOL...but it's a GOOD question!! I think there is a higher than high possibility. Everything is possible right? But, I think there are also more planets that haven't yet been discovered. Oh, and Area 51 comes to mind. I still think there is a cover-up on that by our government.

8. Insert your own random thought here. I've begun a new watercolor project. I have my easel set up in my computer room. Brushes out, paints readied, and the preliminary sketching is just about complete. If it continues to rain, hopefully, I'll stay indoors and paint today.

78 comments :

  1. Hi Anni, great shot of the Mocker and blossoms! We are having some rain enough to keep the reservoir full! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...wish that were true here. Our reservoir is about 30% capacity right now.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I yours. Love the song you chose.

      Delete
  3. I am currently trying to dry my hair and clothes out here in my classroom as I am reading your post, and although surprising, I am very thankful for the rain (finally!) that we are having this morning. I hope you are getting some and that it is reaching all the way down to where we live, too.

    The birds have been amazing- although it doesn't seem like there is enough time yet to look for them. Enjoyed your answers~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sounds like you got more in YOUR area of the Coastal Bend!! Here it lasted about 10 minutes. I was so hoping for a whole day of rain. Alas. Not so.

      Delete
  4. I sure wish we could equalize the rain in our country. I'm a little tired of it, but we haven't had more than usual, just the usual. I loved your answers, Anni, as I always do! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I love having you stop by to visit DJan. Hope your eye problem is resolved quickly.

      Delete
  5. The picture of the mockingbird is beautiful. My sister and husband both love that movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"! Can't say it's a favorite of mine although, I love Ethel Merman.

    "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong is a favorite of mine. Loved your #7 answer. Anytime we can catch a documentary about Area 51 you can just about guarantee, hubby and I will be watching.

    Have a great day and hope you get some painting done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Area 51...I'm wondering if there are other government secrets that we don't know 'bout. On the subject of aliens from space...y'wonder. Interesting subject even if you don't 'believe'.

      Delete
  6. I love your mocking bird with the spring blossoms!

    I wonder if we wouldn't be in better shape all around if we got rid of ALL government and started over, fill all the offices with people who don't want them; they're the ones bet fit to do the job!


    I wish we could all find a way to share the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you could package it somehow and ship it here maybe? ;o)

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful capture of that mockingbird! I love that Louis Armstrong song. It was being played when my oldest daughter graduated from kindergarten way back when and I still remember how it made me feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this song just has such a good feel, not matter the occasion.

      Delete
  8. Love, love that song! The band played it as the last song at our wedding reception. Sweet memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...awwww, yes that would definitely be SWEET memories.

      Delete
  9. I'd be happy to share some of our rain with you, although I may regret that this summer if it's anything like last summer. Praying you get some rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...pray hard and long then, okay?!!!

      Delete
  10. Lovely shot of the mockingbird, I just wish I could hear one sing.
    I've got my paints out too. I just don't seem to get the time to sit down and paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh what are YOU planning on painting?!!! Hope you get a chance to do it soon.

      Delete
  11. Love the picture! Hope to see your water color picture when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you will. That is if it turns out okay. LOL

      Delete
  12. Awesome photo of the Mockingbird. He seems to be posing for you like he knows you want to share him with us.
    Great song choice too, Louie has an interesting voice, but makes this beautiful song work.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...what you've been through in the past few months - well, you can count on me for support!!!!

      Delete
  13. We got some much needed rain/snow here wish we could share it with you. I wish we could share some of your warmth. It is 27* here right now.
    I enjoyed your answers today.
    Hope you get to do some painting today.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 27?!! That's way too cold. My nephew who lives east of Denver was telling me about all the snow. It's not surprising, I remember those Spring blizzards all too well. But, I hate to admit, a wet snowfall would even please me 'bout now. Y'know?---the ones that melt as quickly as it falls.

      Delete
  14. Anni I would have guessed you an action movie gal and a baseball gal - and I think that is wonderful. I like those too - but they are my second choices. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, then, you guessed right on the button. I'm a plain jane.

      Delete
  15. I had started reading Anna Karenina, but was having trouble getting into it. Then I thought about watching the movie, but now I'm glad I didn't waste my time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely didn't like it. I couldn't understand the gist of the way it was directed. Not sure if the book was like it at all...but well, it just didn't make any sense.

      Delete
  16. love the mockingbird, reminds me that a year ago this weekend I saw my first mockingbird at my Mom's in Phoenix. Had to look it up in the bird book! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you got a chance to hear it sing for you!!!

      Delete
  17. Lovely! That would make a great notecard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it would, pro'ly, huh?!! LOL Now that you mention it.

      Delete
  18. Sure wish I could send you some of our rain! We've had more than our share.

    It sounds like you've found some exciting ways to stay busy! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy painting - and I'd go to the Ritz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as you know, not me!! You can have my share.

      Delete
  20. I love Wonderful World, and actually had it played at my mom's funeral. It is one of my favorite songs, and the ORIGINAL with Armstrong! Also I just re-watched Mad World, I totally agree, it is wonderful and I have seen it more than once. Especially Ethel Merman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the movie.

      Delete
  21. I hope you get to painting as well. And I will be singing that son all afternoon now....Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the song makes your day much brighter!

      Delete
  22. It's too bad the Yankees have too many injuries with their star players. :( Its also frustrating when your team payed big bucks for these guys and they aren't doing anything, i.e. the Angels. My dad and I are also Angel fans since we lived in Southern California for my first 20 years of life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. One of my favorite songs too! My daughter and I sang that at my grandmother's funeral last summer - so bittersweet! Love your bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a beautiful photo. I like the contrast of the bird with the delicate pink flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the bird photo Mick!!

      Delete
  25. Love the picture of the bird. I totally agree about a hot dog at a ballgame is better than roast beef at the Ritz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well then, take me out to the ballgame. We can have a few cool ones, and a few ballpark franks. I'm buying!!

      Delete
  26. Good answers! I'm with you on jeans and a t-shirt. If 'It's a wonderful world' was playing, that would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes it would, I agree, a most perfect day, any day, that song is in my mind.

      Delete
  27. Ahh, you can't beat a bit of Louis!

    Totally get what you're saying - someone summed it brilliantly 'Children hear more of what we do than what we say'.

    so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that's summed up plain and simple!!

      Delete
  28. Lovely shot of the mockinbird. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks! Glad you enjoyed the image

      Delete
  29. Sweet portrait of the mockingbird! We have them as our alarm clocks this time of year! A nice way to wake up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do so most certainly agree with the beautiful alarm chiming!!

      Delete
  30. One of my favourite birds. I love that northern mockingbirds sing so many beautiful songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...so pretty and so soft a songbook!!!

      Delete
  31. I would love to see a mocking bird.

    I think its statistically unlikely that we are alone in the universe - but I dont have any beliefs either way. Sorry - science background!!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for hosting Stewart

      Delete
  32. The mockingbird shot is so wonderful framed by those purple flowers. Enjoyed reading your answers to the questions. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail...enjoying New Orleans, are you?

      Delete
  33. Great minds, Anni--both sharing pretty in pink birds this week. Sounds like you'll have a chance to add lots of photos to your birder archives. Compassion? Both, I think. Plus, it helps to have some challenges in life--the refiner's fire--and to interact with as many different people as possible. Romantic drama here--and I agree, Anna K sucked. Totally irritating and I didn't give three kicks for any of the characters as portrayed in this film. Don't mess with the classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...your robin framed in dogwood was spectacular Faye.

      Delete
  34. The mockingbird is our state bird - and I love it! It's feisty, protecting its territory fiercely, and all the while let's you enjoy its beautiful variety of songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they definitely are territorial!! I've even seen them chasing CATS away.

      Delete
  35. Is painting with watercolors easy or difficult? I've never painted with anything at all and often wondered whether it would be easy to learn.

    Have I mentioned how I love your bird pictures? They are always so pretty! :)

    Awesome song! That's a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess anything could be a difficult task/challenge, if you let it be. Try it, you may find yourself hooked on it. Thanks, Kara, for your kind words.

      Delete
  36. A lovely capture of the mockingbird! I really like the natural look of the surrounding branches and flowers.
    Always love your hodgepodge answers. I love that same song. Louis had the voice didn't he!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one else can sing that song like he did!!!

      Delete
  37. What an adorable little bird. I really like the bright flowers around it too. I enjoyed your question and answer post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you stopped by and enjoyed the post this week!!

      Delete
  38. We have a friend whose been to Area 51. He doesn't say anything about it of course...he works in top secret government stuff, worst case scenario planning, etc. Love your bird pics as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...makes you wonder just what it is they're hiding?!! Y'know? Oh Joyce if you like the bird photos on my Wednesday post, you should take a trip to my birding photo blog...those photos there are 'much' better looking. rofl [link is on my right side bar "I'd Rahter B Birdin'"

      Delete
  39. Very nice photo og the mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete

.