“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Ahhhhhhh, the good life!!!

The daylight may be later in the evening hours now that DST has begun, but the day TIME seems to zip by so quickly these days. With the wonderful, mild, Spring-like temperatures by mid-day, Bud and I are outdoors. Actually, some days this week, we've been out and about way before sunrise. Just to get to some nearby parks and bays to see the birds in all their glory. They tend to be much more active in the wee hours of the day....by noon, they're pretty much taking siestas or have disappeared and/or become quite sluggish in motion; lethargic!! As with this image above, the sunrise is always a 'get cracking' sign for us to be out and driving somewhere before the onslaught of the high traffic volume this time of year. Once we get to our destination, the traffic is of my least concern. The sound of the seagulls once we're parked and ready to walk our distance, is attracting me and Bud to get nearer to the chattering birds and see if we can spot something unusual. One particular area we often stop at on our day's outing, there is a young, immature black crowned night heron that we've been watching grow up to adulthood since late last Autumn. From fledgling to where its at now in his/her lifespan...a large immature heron, and its now beginning to get tell-tale signs of the adult black crown and gray and white feathers of the adult stage. I am hoping against all odds that it remains here for the entire year and allows us to record its growth in photos. So far, it's working out for us. I noticed just this week, that it is losing it's brownish, speckled, youth plumage and getting a bit of white around the wings. Keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway, we have been doing a lot of yard work AND birding. Just yesterday when out with the camera, I took 87 pictures!!! And with those, I have to crop them, frame them, and title them ...that takes up hours of my allotted computer time these days. Hence, not much blog posting. An hour or two at one spot, birding, and the sun becomes a light golden globe shining brightly down on everything, which makes for such a pleasant day. Continuing around town in some of the more active birding spots, I have noticed a lot of courting rituals, and more aggression with the adult male birds. Even so, the same for our backyard birds. It's that time of year. At one park, I stopped my walking for a short time to watch the Muscovy ducks and the male trying to impress a couple of female ducks. Perhaps in a month or two, there may be some chicks roaming the pond's banks!! Then, after I began my trek around the water's edge, I happened to notice some activity really close to a nearby house, by the park....a mother goose. She was, at the time, rolling her clutch of eggs around in the nest. Then, she continued on with her long ritual of sitting on them to keep them warm. What a tender, loving moment I witnessed!! And, she picked a secluded, nearly hidden place for her nest------between the house's electric meter and outlet. Pretty well camouflaged, unless she moves. And her color blends in so well with the brick. Being out around the city for about three to four hours, it's time to head back home and get to the yard work. The hibiscus are blooming profusely right about now. The bougainvillea are growing leaps and bounds and we continually try to keep them under control [one on the side of the house tends to like the idea of growing toward the garage and the eave and roof]....gotta keep those trimmed off to save the paint and the roofing...otherwise, if a strong wind comes up, the wear and tear of the thorned branches can eventually, and easily cut through the shingles. I noticed, while out pulling weeds, that my Oriental Iris have buds forming on the thin spiny leaves. The Lantana is attracting butterflies. I put out one of the hummingbird feeders 'cause the hummers will soon return....it's that time!! Busy, busy time.  And life is good.

24 comments :

  1. Oh how I wish I could come on those walks with you and Bud. I a tulip that is starting to shoot through but that is about all the signs we have. With things still so dry around here I don't see it being a very pretty spring. The fields are so dry that you can see the field mice running around. We are to get up in the 60s today and I wish I could get out and walk and take in the sounds of the world around me.
    Enjoy your day
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your day too Sharon. I can't say it's that dry here, but fire bans and watering bans seem to be the norm. Hope we both get the rains we need so desperately.

      Delete
  2. Ah, yes, life is good! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you cover your bougainvillea in the winter? We have to bring ours in. Same with the hibiscus....we put them in the garage to stay warm enough. My iris are blooming now. I wish I had some lantana...need to get some this year. I love butterflies!

    Just don't get so busy you forget us. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...it rarely gets below 40 here in the winter. Rarely...but it does sometimes, not for long enough tho.

      Delete
  4. I wish you lived closer to me! You are doing things that I love to do and I can't find anyone around here that enjoys it as much as me. Except you won't find me up at the crack of dawn--I am more a late afternoon birder. :/ Birds and ducks sure find some interesting places in which to nest, don't they? Your first shot of the morning sunrise is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that would be a LOT of fun 'cause you and I like to do such similar things.

      Delete
  5. Yes, she is very well camouflaged! I know what you mean, I can go somewhere special and take almost 500 pictures at one time! Spring is springing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's so easy with the new camera now. The other one had a delay on the shutter.

      Delete
  6. A wonderful time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat post about spring... I too love spring with all of the new growth ---whether it be the flowers or the baby birds. Our Bluebirds are nesting now --so it won't be long til we have some Bluebird babies... Such a great time of year...

    Thanks for a great post. Walking in spring is just so much fun!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. walking...anytime, is the best kind of exercise.

      Delete
  8. Those walks sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring is in the air and I am glad to see you are enjoying it. Supposed to be in the high 80's here in Dallas this weekend and I am going to be at a two day Photography workshop at the Arlington Convention Center. Hey, for 49 bucks you cannot beat 6 or 7 different sessions of various photography techniques and trade exhibits in between. Yes life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you learned some neat new tricks of the photo realm.

      Delete
  10. Those pictures show how beautiful it is there right now. You are so fortunate to have a companion and all those birds to capture. Isn't it wonderful how digital camera allow us to take zillions of pictures? I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, gotta love the digital stuff these days. I remember having a huge stash of underdeveloped film in the 'fridge. By the time they were taken in to be developed, the images were fuzzy. LOL

      Delete
  11. I would love to see that sweet mama goose with you! How very special. I love your descriptions of life in our neck of the woods right now. Life IS good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, it's perfect right now...'til the high humidity and extreme heat makes the $$$$ disappear to pay A/C bill. LOL

      Delete
  12. There is no way I could ever get my husband to get up before sunrise to go take a drive and a walk. Come to think of it I wouldn't be able to get him to do that after sunrise either

    ReplyDelete

.