“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW





Hippity Hop Hop ... Easter's on its way

I'm at it again. This time it's building up on my collection of Easter Egg Cups. Stopping in a couple of stores along the strip mall while Bud was in Barnes and Nobel [I don't like that store and its staff at all, at all!], I went into World Market to see what they were putting out for Easter in hopes of finding a new Easter Egg Cup to add...something different. I found one earlier at Joann Fabrics and Crafts, but the price was $10.99! For an egg cup?!! I don't think so. Okay, so back in the store called World Market. And, I found this one. It reminds me a bit of the Dutch Art, and it was a really pretty soft turquoise green!. And, since I've been way too busy with other stuff happening over the last couple of days, I haven't had much time to go out in search of a really nice shadow shot for Sunday's Challenge. Hence, I created my own shadow with artificial lighting. It's the best I could come up with on a short time frame. While I've been lax on blogging, I did want to tell you a bit of our Valentine's Day. We spent the day from about 8 a.m. when we arrived from a short distance from home; at Goose Island, to traipse around in hopes of seeing a few rare bird sightings. You see, early last week, I was talking to another avid birder who informed me that there was a family of Whooping Cranes -the tallest bird in North America- on the island. Well, I've tried for three years each migrating season to be at the right time and the right place to see some. The area the other birder told us to drive to, we found. A huge pasture butting right up against part of Copano Bay [near the island and a few miles from  Rockport Texas -about 30 miles from Corpus Christi]...the pasture, as we were warned, is all fenced in. After we arrived, out came the binoculars...there is a man-made pond in the pasture, with cattail/reed grass surrounding one side. There were Brahman cattle grazing near by. But, no birds. Then, as we began walking along the road to the bay waters, out of the tall reed, Bud spotted a couple of cranes...but not the endangered Whooping cranes!! They were Sandhill cranes. Now, my zoom on the camera I take along for birding is good, but NOT for this extreme distance. Ya, I can zoom in on them, but still I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with the results. at the curve on the road, as we walked, we spotted a couple of turkey vultures lazing in the sun streaked banks of the bay. I was able to get quite close to them and I took a photo of the one that didn't fly off. I turned toward the pasture to check on the Sandhill Cranes to see if they were meandering even a bit closer to our camera range. Still, they remained close to the pond. Okay fine...I'll not get my hopes up...I will photograph the neat bulls, and cow...and a couple of really, really cute calves. Bud and I walked back to where we parked the car, and I spotted a whole slew of kildeer. I walked up to the closed iron gate and took only one photo of a single kildeer before they all flew off into the oak trees. We then hopped back into the car and drove around where we had walked, to turn on another narrow roadway on the far side of the pasture land, Bud spotted the family of Whooping Cranes flying in!!! I edged over to the side of the road in hopes if anyone else would happen by they could get around the car. Again, out came the binoculars...and the camera. I took a few photos with the zoom extended out as far as it would go. I got some photos of the mom, dad, and their juvenile. They're huge...there are only an estimated 600 in the whole of North America. Like I said, I've been trying and traveling great distances [close to 200 miles round trip to Austwell Texas] each season in hopes of seeing some...but up until Valentine's Day 2013, I haven't seen any in the 'wild'!!! Photos to come on my birding blog by hopefully next weekend. I can't say I'm pleased with the photos, but they're the best I have. By the end of the day, birding, hiking on a couple of biking trails along Rockport's areas...we had lunch late, and called it a day. Oh ya....here's the point of my whole post. I went out the very next day and bought me a new camera...with twice the zoom power!! Now, it's learning a whole new way of playing with a new toy. It's been three days of shopping and I've been having fun. Another place of interest, I'll get to in a whole 'nother post soon.

connecting to:
Shadow Shot Sunday

33 comments :

  1. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you enjoyed your weekend.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got to see those whooping cranes, even if from a distance!
    I love your egg cup collection. Egg cups make me a bit nostalgic. My mom had a collection and we regularly used them for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet her collection was super too.

      Delete
  3. Lucky you, a new camera to learn! And congratulations on seeing those Whooping Cranes. I've never seen them other than in pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this one is a bit intimidating right now. Maybe after using it and experimenting, I'll get the hang of it all.

      Delete
  4. What a quaint little egg cup, with just the right amount of shadow!

    Shadowy Bell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks MMT...I like it. ;o)

      Delete
  5. Now that would be an amazing thing- to get the whoopers up close! Love the egg cup- World Market is always a must place to stop for me when we go to Corpus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. W M is a great store. Find all kinds of unusual items. And, yes seeing the Whoopers was a life time spectacle.

      Delete
  6. Your little egg cup is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a pretty cup!
    Sorry your Barnes & Noble staff is not as friendly and helpful as ours here.
    What an great time birding you had! And a new camera! A very nice Valentine's Day, indeed!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, our day was quite a phenomenal experience.

      Delete
  8. Who cares if the photos turn out you SAW THEM! Woohooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, yes, saw them, but I'd like to have a photo that is good and close up too. LOL

      Delete
  9. a new camera, how fun. I've been toying with the idea of getting a new point and shoot that's small enough to fit in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I don't carry a purse. LOL

      Delete
  10. Anni where do you find all of the cute holiday decorations. The egg cup is adorable and we love the color.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...like I said in the post, this one came from World Market

      Delete
  11. A new toy! You'll be having some fun with that zoom. They're heavy to carry though - at least mine feels heavy for a hike. Your cup looks like an antique - it has such a pastel coloring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, this camera and the zoom is automatic...so it's not all that heavy. That's why I wanted to get a new one. I didn't want to lug around all that weight.

      Delete
  12. That is so cool YOU got the see the cranes, that is the main thing. I am sure the photos will be great. BTW...what kind of camera did you get? And lens? Excited to see and hear about this whole adventure. Happy belated V-Day, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for the Valentine Day wish...and regarding the camera...I don't know exactly what it is...it's made by Nikon. And has the largest zoom for a digital hand held. That was the 'selling point'. Color something...

      Delete
  13. How really exciting, I can't wait to see them!!!! Now I need to go to World Market!! They do have awesome Easter things!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, it's one of my favorite stores 'cause they have the "unusual".

      Delete
  14. Hi Anni, WELL--Valentine's Day is OVER ---and next is St. Patrick's... In all of that is Lent --and then comes Easter. Hard to believe that time is flying by so quickly.

    We've been in Arkansas this week enjoying some time at gorgeous Mt. Nebo. Hope you had a good week.

    I saw my very first Roadrunner EVER ---and I'll show a picture of my blog tomorrow. Talk about excited!!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...those roadrunners are quite a spectacle, aren't they?

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on spotting the bird family...and congratulations on acquiring a new camera! Two exciting events on one post! Can't wait to see what you do with your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...right now the camera is a bit intimidating. LOL

      Delete
  16. What an exciting birding day you had! Glad it had a happy ending with you finally seeing the whooping cranes. Those killdeer are so skittish, don't you think? Hubby and I participated in the Great Backyard Bird Count yesterday and saw 20 different species of birds. It's such a fun thing to do together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, I never realized that the GBBC was among us. I never knew. Wish I had.

      Delete
  17. How exciting to see the cranes! That is a lovely shadow shot.

    ReplyDelete

.