“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






--brought to you by Sandy Cold Facts

Shadows of the pounding waves and surf -- shadows of birds:

Living here in the Coastal Bend, weather always seems to be a factor in our way of life. The winters are usually quite mild. January and February being the coldest and most often, [but not in the recent years] the wettest season. Then, of course in the summer months from June thru Autumn [November], always a possible threat of intense storming...called tropical, or even more strengthened...hurricanes. Well this last week, as I mentioned in a previous post, we had a front move down from the North, and tho the temps dropped somewhat, the big factor was high winds. I also mentioned, being that we are still experiencing drought conditions, there is with that, a fire danger. But let me get back to the winds. Tho, the winds were quite strong at times...nearly hurricane force winds I might add. Gusting up to 60-70 MPH on the beach. Yes, you probably surmised by now that this ol' lady had to drive to the islands to see what the Gulf was churning up. Way out yonder, beyond the shore, the water was choppy, but not bad. But, the sand! Oh the sand. I walked. What else could I do. I wasn't just gonna drive there, take a picture or two, and then leave. LOL Bud and I walked along the Packery Channel to the coast. The dunes did play a bit of havoc on us, dusting us with pellets of fine sand. That's okay. I've had worse. By the time I realized that the shifting sands swirling along the beach was not going to give us a break, I wished I had put on my stocking cap to protect my eardrums. Too late. Once to the end of the channel, a fishing jetty extends out into the Gulf a bit. There is where the surf action was most intense. The current of the Gulf met and tangled with the channel's currents. Sometimes, I had a difficult time standing. I never did reach the end of the jetty...too fierce the wind was, and I didn't want to end up getting too wet with the spray, or go flying off to God knows where. One young couple was down on the jetty's boulders...fishing!!! And I thought I was the only fool. Off in my peripheral vision I spotted dozens of sandpiper [or plovers] and a few ruddy turnstones trying to stay out of the strong winds. The warm sun, with their protected location, was an ideal area to stay out of harm's way...but I was disturbing their territory and they reluctantly flew away a short distance and landed a few boulders away. Only for a short time as by this time, I turned back and headed to the beach. They, I'm positive, were glad to see me finally disappear in the distance so they could get back to a more serene and undisturbed hour, and sit out the 'storm' in comfort. Leaving, I had the wind in my face...it was no longer pushing me out to sea, I was battling the force, like pushing through a strong iron curtain. Leaning into the gale, I was reminded of Wyoming. Don't ask me why. But, there were times in my day, living in Colorado where I'd find myself out in the Wyoming prairies looking for arrowheads and artifacts, that I found it mighty difficult to stand up because of high velocity winds. Then, I had no sand or sea spray pelting me tho. This day, it was a challenge, yet quite exhilarating. Pilates couldn't come close to the work-out I was getting. Bud and I stayed out there for about an hour, walking along the shore, seeing no birds, very few people and a couple of family dogs. It was all in all a good walk...but, we had to turn around and head back to the car. Another hour's time. We were both glad we decided to park the car at the parking lot where you dock boats instead of driving out on the beach...the car would have needed a new paint job if we parked on the beach with the sand stripping the paint off. And once we made it back to the car, my eyes, even tho sunglasses were worn to protect, felt like they were full of sand, my teeth were grinding sand, my hair was dripping sand, and my shoes were giving my feet a free of cost exfoliating massage!! Safe, and out of the wind, in the car once again, Bud looked at me and said "Next time, you can come out here and I'll stay home and wait for your weather report." Once home, I quickly showered, but my ears were full of fine sand...and the water from the shower, well, I could've planted a rooted plant cutting and it probably would've survived well with the massive amount of sand in the ear. But I would never DREAM of telling Bud this!!! LOL

connecting to:
Shadow Shot Sunday






28 comments :

  1. That wind was something else. You are very brave to have gone out in it, but I know it was a sight to behold. Good for you! And I hope you eventually get all the stuff out of your ears~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not brave, a bit foolish maybe, but not brave. :o)

      Delete
  2. The shadows on the beach are ever changing--and endlessly fascinating!

    Buddha in the Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  3. the adventures of anni (and bud) thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...kinda like See Dick and Jane...See Jane Run. :o)

      Delete
  4. The way you described your adventure, I could almost feel as if I were there with you....
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...did you feel the sand pelting against your face?

      Delete
  5. Encantador...a água rende imagens de força. Um abraço!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right....water is definitely a strong force.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you were a bit of a storm chaser there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I've been known to do worse, case scenario: trek out on the coast just before a hurricane hits. Crazy I know.

      Delete
  7. My brave storm chaser friend, glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Denise. I really don't think I was in harm's way tho. Or am I naive.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. ...thanks!! Glad you enjoyed the bird photos.

      Delete
  9. Anni: You are a better person than I...wind blowing sand??? I would have stayed with Bud and drank a Bud:) Nice shots though so it was worth it right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...worth it? Well, ya...heck ya. Better'n sitting home on my touch.

      Delete
  10. Well, now we know when there is a coastal storm warning with high winds where you'll be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yep, I've been known to stand on the shore watching hurricanes come closer and closer.

      Delete
  11. We get winds like that and I know what a nasty it is when it picks up the dirt from the gavel road or worse the crap they sand the roads with in town....can't imagine the sand it would blow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the winds in the west are atrocious too. Yep, yep, yep. Nothing compared to SNOW blowing.

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, what wonderful waves you captured !!! And I love the birds too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the post Ginny.

      Delete
  13. You were very brave to be out there so close to the action. Bet you're still digging sand out of your ears. Boy oh boy, your descriptions had me in the moment. I see you got lots of sandpipers or plover photos. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you ventured out with me in the sand storm. LOL Yep, I came upon all these birds [there WERE more at one time, but a lot flew off the boulders as I approached]...a pretty sight.

      Delete
  14. I loved this post. I felt like I was there on the beach with you....and I've only seen a beach once in my life when I was 10 years old. You painted a picture in my mind that I won't forget, and I'll bet you won't forget this day, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope your body isn't too pitted from the sand storm. LOL [kidding]...just happy to know you enjoyed the post.

      Delete

.