my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Fly...be free...make a CLEAN break!!!

Not all my efforts of trying to capture good bird photos come to pass as even 'useable' ...for instance this one I share today. When it flew in front of me, I really wasn't paying much attention to it at all. In fact, altho I did have my camera over my neck, it was not even turned on. We were 'done' for the day and walking back to the car to load up and get back home; off the island. But, I saw it out of the corner of my eye as it zoomed ahead of me to light in the mesquite tree in front of me on the path out to the parking lot. With its coloration of gray and white, I assumed it was a Mockingbird. I uncapped the lens cover, turned on the camera and snapped a photo...all about the same time it was getting ready to fly away. No sooner had my camera 'clicked' it was off, out of the tree and flying quickly away; making a CLEAN BREAK from human invasion. I didn't realize what I captured until I got back home and began taking the images for the day from the camera's sd card to upload to the computer. As I zoomed in on the image, I realized it was NOT a Mockingbird after all...the eyes gave it away. It is some kind of owl!!!! Of course being so camouflaged in the tree branches, it's highly unlikely I could ID it for there are no visible outstanding features to help me....



I also added a new post on my birding photo blog this week!!!  Photos of an avocet, a coot, a hawk, an egret and a tri-colored heron...[link on sidebar]




CONNECTING TO:
Camera Critters
June Photo Hunt Categories:
2nd ~ Taste
9th ~ Clean
16th ~ Ripple
23rd ~ Hot
30th ~ Flash




_ _ _


WEEKEND FUNNIES


Each evening bird lover Tom Rowe stood in his backyard in Devon, England, hooting like an owl - and one night, an owl called back to him. For a year, the man and his feathered friend hooted back and forth. Rowe even kept a log of the "conversation." Just as Rowe thought he was on the verge of a breakthrough in inter-species communication, his wife had a chat with next door neighbor, Nancy Hollis.

"My husband spends his nights... calling out to owls," said Mrs. Rowe.

"That's odd," Mrs. Hollis replied. "So does my John."

Then it dawned on them.

* *

Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?

Seen on the back of a biker's vest: If you can read this, my wife fell off.


Hard to believe, but many of our customers at the bank still don't know how to swipe their card through the ATM card reader. Because of this, my fellow tellers and I often find ourselves having to explain how it's done. One teller complained that she kept getting odd looks every time she explained it. I found out why when I overheard her tell one man, "Strip down facing me."

36 comments :

  1. Wow! What a lucky shot! Doesn't matter it you can't identify it - you caught it in a very difficult spot! Loved the funnies - it is a great way to start the day! I am TRYING to get caught up on my blogging! This has been a very busy week and I am not sure I will EVER get caught up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Follow my instructions.....INHALE----exhale!!! Inhale, exhale.

      Delete
  2. well it may not be the perfect picture but it's enough to show that you saw him. Most photo ops present themselves to me when I am unprepared, just my luck :)
    Love the weekend funnies especially the one about the bank card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've been there....seeing some great photo ops and then....no camera!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni, I can not even count how many times I saw a great bird and had my camera turned off. It is a shame so many branches are in your way for a good id. I love the owl funnies, I can picture these two men talking "owl" to each other. LOL! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....me too. I've often thought of all the disgusted at myself for taking lousy photos and all the images a pro photographer must take before the perfect one comes along.

      Delete
  4. What a lucky shot. I was going to tell you about hearing owls, but never seeing them---and now I have to check on my neighbors to see if it's them. That is too funny!

    I had a regular hummingbird visitor and haven't seen it now all week. What's up, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the do boogaloo out during their migration...maybe it went farther north.

      Delete
  5. That is definitely an owl. I love that story about the two men talking to each other in Owl Speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...ya, we both agree it's an owl alright...but which kind...or should I say "HOO" is it?

      Delete
  6. That owl funny is hilarous!

    Great shot on the owl. At least you had your camera with you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, but I wish I'da known it was an owl, I may have tried harder to get a better image. LOL

      Delete
  7. WOW an owl!!!!! I did not think they flew in the day, but of course they must!! So glad you made that snap!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Owls were something my MIL collected. I'm still wondering just where all her ceramic owls went.

      Delete
  8. Working on my hyper link today. Thanks for the assistance. I'll see if this works. ;)

    Rubbish By Roan

    Fingers crossed. Now I'm off to your bird blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty...it worked!!!!

      Delete
    2. Yeah! Thanks Anni! Now I'm a hyperlinking fool. ;)

      Delete
    3. That's fine by me....there are so many times I've gone into a blogger profile and they have a 'gazillion' blogs of their own...which one to choose, it's beyond me!!!! Having the hyperlink is a godsend most times.

      Delete
  9. Don't you worry too much about us and bears in our yards. They don't come around all that often, and are usually just as afraid of us as we are of them. By using our "heads" and not doing STUPID things like leaving our trash on our door steps or worse yet putting out FOOD for them, we can coexist very nicely with black bears.

    Although Cindy did say that the day she walked out the front door and saw one coming right up the yard TOWARD HER, she let out sounds and words her hubby had NEVER heard her say before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bear woulda been slipping in my excrement...trust me.

      Delete
  10. That was a great shot!
    Y'all have a good weekend~
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. the little birdie looks like it's hiding--from you?:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it like me intruding in its territory.

      Delete
  12. Anni what an excellent picture of the mystery Owl...heading over to check out your birding post.
    Happy Clean weekend.
    PS My Pooh Plate was once my human sissy's plate...you are right one Diva past it to another Diva.
    MOL
    Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing....I bet Madi likes to clean her plate. In fact, I'm quite sure she does.

      Delete
  13. Hi Anni, Glad you got that owl's picture AT ALL... I have many missed shots like that!!!! Oh Well...

    Loved the Owl joke!!!!! Too cute.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was more or less stunned at what I saw with the image uploaded to my computer...because I really thought it was a mockingbird.

      Delete
  14. I don't know if I need a clean break in my photos but for me it usual has to be a “lucky break” ...mind is up and the coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those two terms are synonymous, aren't they?

      Delete
  15. You were in the right place at the right time! Great capture Anni!

    My Critter post. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was....but a bit slow in actually getting a GOOD picture. LOL

      Delete
  16. I would love to see a mockingbird, it's not available where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a picture of a mockingbird, but that just isn't the same as seeing one in real time, is it?

      Delete
  17. That was a great capture! Isn't it fun when the photo card holds a surprise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would've never dreamed it was an owl tho!!

      Delete

.