my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Surveyor...Book vs. Movie

HAPPY EASTER to those who observe the holiday!!!

Trekking along one of the jettys on the island, the city's newest bond issue passed has given up some of the sandy dunes for a paved walkway along Packery Channel [where private, smaller boats can enter the Gulf] ---soon to be completed and added will be a newer, improved retaining seawall following the channel and picnic areas along with a huge newly paved parking lot and steel rails at the banks [on both sides] the jetty's path...

Here, I found a survey marker...down the walk I found the Army Corps of Engineer's surveryor's equipment left behind. It was a weekend, so I'm not sure if they were around anywhere close by, or the stuff was actually left there...I think more so, the previous scenario...I really don't think it would be forgotten being that this stuff doesn't run cheap. LOL Needless to say, I didn't touch any of it...as the top photo of the 1st marker I came upon clearly states that disturbing these markers is punishable by imprisonment [enlarge if need be]. Of course, I know this 'marker' is a permanent fixture, but in the 2nd shadow image, the equipment is removable!!!

Anyway...the shadows for today:









CONNECTING TO:




- - -




SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

  • I'm going to begin with a movie review first hand and get it off my mind...

  • Well, I couldn't take it any longer. I usually wait until Blockbuster Video puts all the previewed rentals on the table that they sell 3 for $20....but being that the book was such a fun read, and I talked to Irene over her birthday last Sunday; she told me she had the movie and it is so good that she's watched it several times since its release on DVD. Then, those here that have left comments just convinced me not to wait. Besides, when I went into Target to buy me a bag of their delicious popped popcorn to snack on while at the book store, I went back and they had a 'one day only' sale on some of their movies. I found one we don't have and knew there was a third edition, but never found it at Blockbuster....Ice Age meets the Dinosaurs for $5 [eight dollars off the original] and The Help was $13, six dollars off the original. Couldn't pass that up. Funny thing tho...when we got home, we DID have the Ice Age DVD, so will ship it off to Erik, he doesn't have it. Half-heimerz I tellya...we suffer from Half-heimerz!!! LOL

  • ...and I came home, made me some microwave popcorn this time, settled down to watch "The Help" in high anticipation. I wasn't at all disappointed in the movie. But I must add that I was disappointed that it didn't keep a lot of the book in it. Sure, it followed the book quite well, but so much was left out. And some of the story was jumbled and too condensed. For instance the newsletter that was edited and published by Skeeter...the coat vs. the comode [Aibileen and Mae Mobley walked to Hilly's house on their own accord, not that Elizabeth tells them both to come with her to help Hilly...that was mixed up]...little things like that. What about the lack of Stuart and Skeeter's relationship, Minny and her abusive husband [showed only Minny by the phone and her husband yelling at her], the Senator and his wife [Stuart's parents], the campaigning that Hilly did for her husband, what Minny would witness and question when working for Celia before the revelation of Celia and her childbearing troubles; in other words quite a bit was omitted. The music of the 60s throughout was great. Ahhhh, to go back in time when I was a teen. :::sigh::: All in all the actors did a wonderful job as did the directors making it the best they could. It was good to see the older stars too, like Cicely Tyson and Sissy Spacek...along with Mary Steenburger [she made a terrific editor from NYC], and Skeeter's mother played her part well. Yet, I can't help but wonder why it was Oscar material...is it because of it being about the South and African Americans that it was nominated for a 'showcase/token' movie? Hollywood being politically correct again? Again, movie just okay, the book is way BETTER!

  • Okay, now that I got that off my chest, the week in review is really not much, 'cause not much going on worth writing up. Mainly the same thing this week as the previous weeks...yard work!! Hot, long drug out hours in the heat. Had our A/C serviced for the season since it's been nearing the 90 degree mark a couple of days....it was wondrous having the cool house to go into after being outdoors. Bud has raked so much drought kill in the lawn these past weeks that the head of the rake finally broke off; had to go to Home Depot and get it replaced. It's no wonder tho, we've had it for probably more than 40 years. There, I found a new hummingbird feeder [they're showing up again and the males are fun to watch doing their courtin' dance in the air] ---scrubbed it out and have it hanging from the eave. 'Bout the only other thing we've done together as a team was to measure the patio. We have plans on fixing that area up too this year. But, we're now thinking of waiting for Fall to arrive....getting too hot out there to do much more 'til then.

  • Was thrilled to be chosen winner of Marydon's Giveaway!! Loads of great prizes, including an antique sterling silver tea infuser...it's just too super for words. Photos coming tomorrow I hope...at a Hootin' Anni's near you.
  • 38 comments :

    1. Well, I guess I am the only person in America who has no interest in seeing "The Help"! I am not much of a movie watcher, anyway...short attention span! BTW, checking out your artwork - beautiful! Have a Happy Easter!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Are you telling me you're using my easel link on my sidebar? Whoa...glad you like what you see. I love movies...but to be honest, I'm not sure you're missing out much...ya, it was good, but reading the book is MOST recommended by me.

        Delete
    2. Punishable by imprisonment....funny! It is odd they left their things out like that.
      I agree....the book was better, but I did enjoy the movie too.
      Wow, AC on already!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, that's the 'cost of living so far south'. I guess. A/C early, but only once in eight years the furnace.

        Delete
    3. Have a very blessed Easter.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ...same goes from me to you Denise!!

        Delete
    4. I did have to skip over your review of The Help, because I am getting ready to watch it and don't want to know about it. Do you put up a hummingbird feeder every year? I need to get one. Have you ever gotten any pictures? Wishing you a blessed Easter!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We have three this year!!! But, we have 'herds' of hummers. This is part of their migrating path.

        Delete
    5. The Help just arrived in our mailbox from Netflix. I read the book when it first came out and that's been so long ago I'm not sure I will really notice all the differences in the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

      Liked your shadow shots for the day. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Don't get me wrong...I enjoyed the movie, but as the old saying goes: "The book is way better"

        Delete
    6. Great shadow shots for the day, Anni! Hope your weekend is going well! Have a very Happy Easter!!

      Sylvia

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Sylvia....coming from you...the blogger of some of the best shadows ever, that means a lot!!

        Delete
    7. nice shot anni. hope you have a blessed Holy weekend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Happy Holy weekend to you to robin!

        Delete
    8. The surveyor find is cool - without their services, who could delineate whom owned what. A $250 fine back then was huge...better to leave the maker be where it is now

      Books into movies always leave things out for the production, the running time the most important thing - and too often the best of the plot is missed. Perhaps we ought to see the movie and then read the book and shake our heads why things were left out...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep...it's always way too condensed because of time and budgets! And, that's a shame.

        Delete
    9. Liked the shadow shot...a work of art...
      I felt the same way about the movie.

      stay out of the heat...
      Mama Bear

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad that someone else felt the same way about the movie.

        Delete
    10. I am probably the only person in the world who hasn't yet read or seen "The Help".... I really want and NEED to do that...

      Do you get alot of sea breeze where you live? I would have a hard time living there since I'm not an AC person (unless it's truly unbearable)... I'd want the windows opened with fans all around --and cross ventilation...

      Have you all had hurricane damage since living there? My sons (Galveston and Seabrook) had TONS of damage when Hurricane Ike hit a few years ago...

      Have a blessed Easter.
      Hugs,
      Betsy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We've had some 'close calls' from hurricanes in the past, but just flooding mostly. Yes, lots of sea breezes ---but the humidity in the summer almost requires the use of A/C

        Delete
    11. I loved the movie......and it is unusual that I have not read the book. Don't know quite how I missed that!

      My daughter, Amber, just bought the Hunger Game books. I have heard a lot of hype about them but don't have a clue what they are about. Guess I'll wait for her to read them and find out!

      Happy Easter to you and yours!!
      Linda C

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I too have only heard about Hunger Games....but what I HAVE heard, I don't think it'd be much in my interest.

        Delete
    12. The Help - I need to read the book again. I enjoyed the movie, but of course, it wasn't nearly as good as the book. Those who are depending only on the movie are really missing out. As with any movie made from a wonderful book - I seldom watch them for that reason.

      Hunger Games - don't plan to read OR watch. They sound horrifically depressing. Don't need that in my life!!

      Sorry it's been so long since I've been here - it's been 3 weeks since I last posted - finally got one done tonight. I have a dearth of words these days.

      We had a really hot day last week - not ready for that yet! It is so very dry.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. {{{Dawn}}} It's so good to see you in Blogland again...you've been missed.

        Delete
    13. My Dad was a Forest Ranger. One time when we lived in Utah he took my brother and I on a little weekend work jaunt he was having to do involving surveying. We were way up on a mountain by a cliff over the desert. He was set up on one of those markers and then moved off.

      Brother and I did the best we could to deface the marker and hid it under a pile of rocks. So does that make me an escaped felon?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL....escaped felon....more like a prankster if you ask me.

        Delete
    14. Great photos of the surveying equipment.
      I have heard so many good things about the book "The Help". I guess I am going to have to read it. The book is Always better than the movie, in my opinion. I love reading Nicholas Sparks books and every one that I have read, and I have read all but two, has been so much better than the movies. I guess the books relay so much more detail than the movies can.
      Happy Easter!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, and you can use your own imagination with the whole of the book and its characters also!!! Which makes it all the more better to read than 'watch' ---because someone else is doing the 'thinking' for you.

        Happy Easter to you too.

        Delete
      2. Love your sunrise photos - splendid!!! -- I love watching the occasional movie, but I do enjoy my own imagination when reading a book. Your new blog layout is lovely! Hope you've had a joyful Easter!

        Delete
      3. Yes, book reading is so much better...as you say, the imagination makes it all worth it.

        Delete
    15. Some striking shadows here Happy Easter

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Catherine...and same to you!!!

        Delete
    16. No real idea what those markers are all about! To me they look like museum style pieces casting sharp shadows! Once again enjoyed all your activities in the week that was!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's hard to explain...it's dealing with degrees of the earth and the landscape and builders' stats and legal land rights, etc. etc. etc.

        Delete
    17. just spent four months in India and, now, I'm stopping over for five days in Hong Kong. Head home to San Francisco tomorrow.

      My Shadow Shot is at:

      http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2012/04/shadow-shot-sunday-cocktail-shadows.html#links

      I am behind in movies...doubt that i will ever catch up..but, now that I've learned to download them all to my computer, I should do better. I am hoping to get back to India in a couple of months.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We have no cable TV anymore, and I am enjoying the programs we USED to watch on cable, online now...and NO commercials. Yay!!!

        Delete
    18. I used to read a lot but blogging takes all the time hehehe.

      Garden Shadows
      Your beautiful contribution to shadow shots 2 is greatly appreciated.
      Rose

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I enjoyed your gardening shadows.

        Delete

    .