my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Beach...Sunday's Summary


RUDDY TURNSTONE







CONNECTING TO:
Scenic Sunday



- - -

SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


The days this week went zipping by!! It's been a jumbled week, and I really couldn't keep up on what day of the week it was! LOL We got a down pouring of rain one day!! Most of the day too. It was wonderful. But, ohhhh, the muddy mess afterward. This soil is so full of clay you could step just right and sink. LOL But, I'm not complaining....I'll take a day filled with rain anytime. We began anew with our continuing work on revamping our patio. Months ago we tore down all the roofing [lattice work] and all the support beams both above and along the side edges. Gave us a lot more natural light in our dining room once it was out of there!!! But since the roofing was off, I didn't like the decrepit patio 'floor'. I didn't want the expense of tiling it...besides, when it DOES rain, tiles can become way too slick and dangerous for us 'aged' ones. We certainly don't need to slip and fall just for the better looking floor covering outdoors. Even if we do spend a lot of time outside in our yard. So, it has been a goodly time discussing which way to go for a retiree's budget and a little design and color. We began that project, after preparing the old surface. That being done, we then had to wait 48 hours before we could begin again. In the meantime we had delivered, a huge amount of different decorative stone. Eventually we'll have a couple of new seating areas [we tore apart the old picnic table and recycled that wood for new benches] .... by the 'bay' window off our dining room, we made a small area of decoration with iron [partial area shown in photo], stone, and river rock...added a few patio potted plants also. Got two benches completed, and a 3rd one is being worked on. When this will be completed, the next area of work is the large open corner of the patio...this will have either a fountain, a birdbath, or just some decorative piece in a stone circle! I have before pictures and as we're progressing, but I'll just wait to share them all at once when the work is done. Wednesday was Bud's birthday...he only wanted to go out to lunch...that I can handle. Of course, we always go to our 'birthday' hang out...Bud had a Blackbeard Guacamole Burger and fries, while I had my fresh deep-fried Gulf shrimp and potato salad. I finished reading the book..."The Strange Death of Napoleon Bonaparte"....not bad. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but this subject -being one of Bud's favorite characters in history- intrigued me. It was a fast, easy read. It kept me turning the pages!!! And the end twist was totally an unexpected 'event' for me. I liked that!!! If you're liking historical novels and/or murder mysteries...it's pretty darned good. I picked up two novels from Half Price Books, both by the same author. One "No Certain Rest" about the bloody battle of Antietam [been there as a tourist a few times]...the other book, "The Franklin Affair" about a man and Benjamin Franklin. The first words in the inside cover blurb are: "Three may keep a secret, if two are dead"....is this another mystery? I'm debating which one to begin and stick with until it's been read. Probably the Civil War novel. I do love historical novels!!! And, one last thing....Blogger has changed the layout for composing, drafting, and publishing blog posts...I'm not sure I get the 'hang of it all' yet. I'm drafting a post, and then go to the editing sidebar for "scheduling a post to post on 12:01 a.m. -April 22nd" click "done" and it posts to my blog that instant...instead of the following day which would be Sunday instead of when I clicked done...on Saturday??!!! This is gonna take some tweaking/getting used to the 'new way'. LATER:---I found a way to revert back to the old style and all's well. LOLOLOL [the Blogger's new interface has a 'gear wheel icon' on the top right side of the new sidebar---where I found 'use old interface'. Yippeeee. Now, if I can just figure out how to pre-schedule a blog post to work properly, I'll be a happy blogger.

44 comments :

  1. Remember seeing turnstones a few years ago - lovely birds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by for my shadow shot today Gerald.

      Delete
  2. At least turnstone have a great walking on the beach and soon the water.

    SO calm...

    Happy Sunday, Ann... enjoy the rest of the day.

    Hugs,
    /Chie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Anni girl !
    You are always so busy .. you blow past me and my little attempts to get things done .. LOL
    I love that glimpse of the deer's antlers (like a Christmas deer ? LOL).. I am sure your project will turn out beautifully : )
    That sea gull looked like it was in deep thought as it walked the beach .. almost sad.
    Hope this week is a great one for you !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy!!! It's good to see you here visiting with me!!! I'm sure you're keeping busy yourself...and hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  4. You're like my hubby, he likes historical (fiction) too.
    Haven't had time to read a novel for a long time. Instead I try to learn PS Elements, how to draw manga etc. - reading and doing, that's what I do nowadays. :)
    Have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I enjoy working with the computer and all the software I have installed too. There are just too many interests going on here. LOL

      Delete
  5. That Sea Gull is great. That does sound like a good book. What fun to have your very own birthday joint. Hope you have a fantastic week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we go to the same place each birthday, Bud's and mine.

      Delete
  6. Nice shot of the seagull! Sounds like you had a very busy week. Your new patio sounds lovely. Thank you for sharing. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...as I admired YOUR shadow shot today also. You should really consider framing that one.

      Delete
  7. I love how poignant this shot is.
    Thank you for the kind words you've left in my blog. It really warmed my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I posted, is true to how I feel when I pay you a visit!!

      Delete
  8. Liebe Anni, ein sehr schöner und liebevoler Beitrag und die Bilder gefallen mir auch.
    Dir noch einen schönen Sonntag.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy my pictures. Hope you had a great Sunday too.

      Delete
  9. I wonder what the beautiful bird is thinking? Thanks for your beautiful contribution to Shadow Shot Sunday 2.

    Come see the Flag in the Wood shadow. Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wooded shadows are super Rose!!!!

      Delete
  10. Awwww, the beach! :)
    It's always fun to plan reconstuction, but yes.. the budget has to be a consideration. LOL
    I understand when you talk about clay. We have alot of that in our soil too. Makes it hard for a garden to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this soil...so clayish...is difficult to keep it from 'shrinking' around the foundation too. Makes for some split walls if you're not careful.

      Delete
  11. That Ruddy gave you a neat Shadow Shot. Sounds like you and the little mister are very busy with your patio area. I hope to set my guy to work like that when he retires too! lol. Happy SSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...what? with all your traveling you two do? How would you find the time? You made me smile.

      Delete
  12. I have never had much luck with pre-scheduling, it would always post at the wrong time, or not at all. So I gave it up long ago and just write the blog and post it immediately. Be careful using the old editor, that's what I did awhile ago the last time they changed it. Then one day it stopped working...turned out my browser would not accept the old version. Just in case this happens, you will know why. You are so lucky to have a bay window, I have always wanted one!!!! How about a picture in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually, the window itself is not 'bay'...the whole wall is. LOL It's just hard to explain.

      Delete
  13. Despite blogging from WP, I still keep my Blogger profile for reading and following blogs. I'm trying to adjust to the new "dashboard" they subjected me to this week.

    Belated birthday wishes to your hubby. The guaca burger sounds yummy! We had some rain here in South Arkansas, too. Very windy today.

    Your shadow shot is fun. Walking birds (as opposed to flying ones) always make me smile for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my...it's hard enough to figure it out when you use it daily...and then you have use of it just to 'log-in' so you have your profile info to use in Blogger only?!!! Must be VERY difficult for you to adjust.

      Delete
  14. The gull is not its obnoxious self, and is sitting still and quiet for a perfect shadow. Wonderful! We are getting some much needed rain up here today and tonight (2.5-3"), so we are grateful. after last year with far too much snow and rain, this year is very dry. Mom Nature is moody it seems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me....mother nature plays havoc sometimes.

      Delete
  15. Little Gull strolling along just minding his own business, love it!

    I look forward to seeing your revamped patio. I am sure it will be awesome. I agree with you on the tile. They are downright dangerous when they get wet. Our front porch has them on it and our laundry room as well. An older lady lived here before we bought the house and she tried to upgrade things on her own. She turned the garage into a laundry room and laid the tile herself. They are so uneven, it is almost funny. She had the concrete front porch covered with tile also. She hired someone to do it, but they are so slick when it rains or snows. I think we all have slipped on them. I have actually fallen twice, but I tend to be a little clumsy these days. We had tile laid in our kitchen and both baths, but they are not slick when wet. Anyway, you will be very glad that you didn't go with tile.

    I have a lot of trouble editing lately with Blogger. I am putting my post together the same way that I always have, but when I try to publish or view the posts it has huge gaps in between the pictures or different sections. I will have to check into the, "use old interface" thing. Thanks for the tip!

    'Till we visit again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is a challenge alright!!! And I'm glad to read that you too know what wet tile is like. Not fun. I'll make sure I update everyone on the patio once it's complete.

      Delete
  16. Mr. Turnstone looks as thought he's deep in thought!

    “Shadowed Is My Way”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your desert 'ravine' photo is fabulous.

      Delete
  17. I'm slowly getting used to the new blogger, and haven't had any problems with pre-scheduling. Maybe it will work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. For my peace of mind. LOL

      Delete
  18. I enjoyed the photo of the gull on the beach. It does sound like you've been very busy with the renovations. I agree that tiles can be very trick if you get any water on them. That is true for anyone but more so for the aged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by...I too enjoyed YOUR lovely Sunday Scenes.

      Delete
  19. Hi Anni, Regarding the new interface, I have had it for a long time and never have trouble posting my blogs --using the 'timer'... Did you notice that their calendar is not Sunday through Saturday---but is Monday through Sunday... Maybe that is what is causing your problem...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that. But being a 'military' family, I'm used to it being this way.

      Delete
  20. Wonderful and crisp shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Rajesh...coming from you, I really appreciate it since your blog is so fabulous with great photos.

      Delete
  21. It's as though he's checking out his shadow saying, 'hey, I look pretty good!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I had to go back and look at the photo...you're right!!

      Delete
  22. A bird deep in shadow thought! very cute! What a busy week you have had! You need more hours in your day!

    As for scheduling posts with Blogger, there are problems! Some of my blogs recognise a scheduled post but others do not! My Greyscale blog and SSS2 do not recognise a scheduled post! The problem has been reported on the Google forums, but nothing has been resolved. Here's hoping it sorts out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Gemma!!! And, thanks for co-hosting.

      Delete

.