my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Fragments of ONE Morning -about 1 hour


  • I had mentioned in a previous post that Bud and I witnessed something phenomenal! Well, at least to us it was. Maybe some of you have seen this 'feat' before, but not us'ins!! A week prior we went driving to the island to see if we could spot anything unusual in feathered friends...it's become quite an addiction when we want to take a break from yard work. LOL Anyway, we walked three different areas, and as we got back in the car to head back home about 30 minutes away, we pulled out into the street that takes us back to the coastal highway heading to Corpus Christi...and looking out the car's windshield I was definitely awe struck. This huge, colossal 'being' filled our view through the car's glass and continued ABOVE our view. And it was coming from the ship's channel that juts out to the vast Gulf waters, or meanders through a couple of bays to either Ingleside, Texas or further north to Corpus Christi Bay and port of call.

  • "What the heck is that?"
    "I don't know"....
    "It's never been there before in our sight, has it?"
    "No"
    "What is it?"
    "Looks like an oil platform"
    "Is it? Could it be?"

  • So instead of heading back home, we once again drove back to the area we had left just prior to where we were now...figures!! By the time we got back on the highway to head back to Salt Island...we ran into a whole slew of vehicles heading in the direction we wanted to go. I was fearing it'd be gone from view before we arrived for a photo op! LOL

  • "Bud, hurry!"
    "I can't go anywhere with this traffic. It's like the movie 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' where everyone is trying to find the big 'W'. [you had to have seen the movie to understand].
    "Well, crowd in...they'll let you in if you squeeze out a bit."
    "I doubt it."

  • We finally get into the flow of traffic, and then, what next? A slow moving golf cart on the street blocking/slowing down everyone including us. And the object kept moving further and further away.......

  • Finally, we got to the intersection, and the ferry had released traffic off and we waited, not patiently, for them to clear out. Driving a short distance at a much higher speed than we should have [all of the vehicles, not just us]; we arrived. I took the photos out through the windshield and away from the maddening crowd of sardine packed vehicles further down the road some...as all the others were pulling off and getting out of their cars. I made sure I kept ONE car in the lens focus/view finder of one of my photos to show the dimension and height and breadth of this, what we witnessed!!

  • The ship, named OSPREY [home office in Oslo Norway I found online by the IMO # painted on the ship], was transporting an OIL RIG. It was amazing and something to behold. As we left and driving home, I said to Bud: "That thing will NEVER have safe clearance under the Harbor Bridge at home." Obviously it did. Either that, or it unloaded the rig in Ingleside and continued on into Corpus. Never did drive over to the harbor here in town to actually see if it was unloaded or it made it under the bridge....I'm just glad we were NOT on that bridge when and if it DID come through....I would've stopped, and waited for the bridge and all the cars on the 6 lanes to go crashing down. LOL

  • Trust me, the pictures just do NOT show how striking in size it really is/was!!! Okay, so now that I fragmented your mind in a long resuscitation [and keep in mind that the automobile, on the left side of photo, in the 1st photo is a mid-sized sedan]... this is OSPREY:




  • Ship's stats:
    Deadweight: 54,000 MT [mega tons]
    Subm. Depth above Deck: 10.50 m
    Free Deck Length: 157.00 m
    Free Deck Area: 6900 m2
    Max Deck Load: 25-30 MT/m2
    Cruise Speed: 14 kn
    Cruise Range: 25,000 nm
    Accommodation: 30 people
    Classification: Det Norske Veritas

  • by the way:
    One-million tons equals a megaton [54 BILLION tons], so if my math calculations are correct - this one ship weighs as much, with the average American car weighing about 2 tons each, it would be the equivalent [in weight] of 27 billion cars. And the 54 mega ton 'dead weight' is without cargo!!!





    CONNECTING TO:
    Mommy's Idea

    44 comments :

    1. Holy Cow, Anni! I don't blame you for being awestruck! What a sight to see! And, I agree...I can't imagine being on the bridge and seeing that thing coming toward you! Of course, around here, all our bridges are draw bridges for the shipping traffic but still...that thing is HUGE! Thanks for taking the time to fight the traffic so you could share it with us!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The Harbor Bridge here is NOT a draw bridge...[it's the 2nd highest in Texas---the height alone is something to fear if you ask me. LOL] It was just soooooooo colossal!!

        Delete
    2. Olipas kokemus! Isot asiat aina mykistää..
      Hyvää Pääsiäistä Sinulle!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, as you say....Big things always mute ---I was dumbstruck and yes...it was an experience that I'm sure will never happen again in my lifetime.

        Happy Easter to you too!

        Delete
    3. Oh wow! That IS a sight to behold. Your figures of it's mass are astounding!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was....it most definitely was.

        Delete
    4. Wow! What a thing to see, Anni. I can certainly understand why you had to stop and find a way to take pictures. Thank you for sharing it with me, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Cool! :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My heart was racing just looking at the monstrous view in front of me.

        Delete
    5. Yes it is huge. Not something you see here in the Midwest.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL...ya, that would be something outta a SCI FI movie inland, wouldn't it?

        Delete
    6. Your comment over at my place about seeing me out and about in my Red Durango with a child in the back seat buying the Easter ham to fix and bring to you made me laugh right out loud!!! Oh yes they did!

      Actually - - - I AM taking the ham to the home where we've been invited to enjoy Easter dinner. I had to MAKE my friend let me bring the main dish this time. Since moving here she's had us over for every holiday and only let me bring a puny side dish.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL....I actually got a kick out of your co-worker's conversation too. That was a hoot...and I just couldn't pass up my opportunity. [insert wink]

        Delete
    7. Wow! That thing is just huge! I can't imagine what it was like seeing it moving, and it's amazing it made it under that bridge.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Mari? It's something to get me to shut up....but this truly silenced me. I was just struck with a disquieting emotion that has never ever come across me. And I haven't yet got it out of my thoughts.

        Delete
    8. Wow! Huge! Glad you were finally able to get back to be able to take some photos. And glad you shared them with us.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's good to know y'all appreciate me sharing this. And Kathy, glad you're back home.

        Delete
    9. I just knew you would have something awesome for us today.
      It is huge and so unique for sure. I loved your build up to the photo it really had me on the edge of my chair.
      Thanks for sharing this with us
      Happy Good Friday and Easter
      Hugs

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I do tend to get quite 'chatty' sometimes. Especially when there is something this highly unusual happenstance comes about.

        Delete
    10. Please thank Bud for braving all the traffic jams to get you back to this location. Oh my word what a picture. It looks like a ginormous
      Lego creation. I have to call my B up to see this.
      Hugs and Happy Easter,
      Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Now that you mention it, it DOES resemble LEGO.

        Delete
    11. My B said he saw a tv program on this one time.
      They evidently sink the ship to some extent then float the rig on top of the ship. Then the ship comes up. Once in a life time opportunity to see it in person
      WTG
      Hugs C

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ya, they do immerse the flatbed section....this kind of ship also carried back the USS Cole when it was damaged by terrorists.

        Delete
    12. Wow! I was prepared to be quite blase as I grew up alongside the Intracoastal Waterway during the oil boom in Louisiana in the 70s. I saw lots of sights, but never, ever what you saw. Wow.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Glad to know it's something that was 'new and different' for you too then.

        Delete
    13. Wow, thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're a doll dear Denise!

        Delete
    14. I'm sure I can't even begin to imagine the massiveness of the rig in person. WoW...what a wonderful thing to witness. 'Right place...right time. Guess it's all in the timin' baby!!! Hehehehe!

      God bless ya and enjoy your Easter weekend sweetie!!! :o)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep...you're so right on ....that was a fluke, being there at the time is 'sailed' through the channel.

        Delete
    15. Oh my goodness!!!! This entire thing is a ship!!!!! I have never seen anything like it before!!! And you got really good pictures!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No, Ginny...the blue and white is the ship...the tower is an oil rig being transported.

        Delete
    16. Wow, Anni... That is amazing... I am glad you turned around to see it again... You don't usually see something that HUGE, do you? When I lived in Jacksonville, FL years ago, we used to go to Mayport sometimes and sit and watch the ships/tugs go by... There's just something neat about that... Thanks for sharing.

      Happy Easter.
      Hugs,
      Betsy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's one of my favorite things to do when we go over to the islands...watch the ships come in the channel.

        Delete
    17. How neat! Thanks for sharing Joann

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was so neat, I nearly peed my pants in anticipation of getting a closer look and watch it slide across the water....it weighing tonages. And I weighing in a 100 and some ---but I sink in water. Boggles the mind.

        Delete
    18. thanks for sharing. It would very exciting to see it either being loaded or unloaded. There are very big machines in the world.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. OH yes, it would be fun to watch...from the beginning to the end.

        Delete
    19. That was very cool to see. I bet it was quite the sight.

      ReplyDelete
    20. Darn! That thing is HUGE!

      ReplyDelete
    21. Wow! That would definitely catch my eye, too! Very interesting.

      ReplyDelete
    22. WHOA! that is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing

      ReplyDelete

    .