my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Flag, Flamingo, Fragments, Flim-flam and FINALLY

  • HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW THE AMERICAN FLAG?!! Take this 12 question quiz <-link [multiple choice] Here is my score. I got ten out of twelve correct. Not bad, considering some questions were about 'names' of people associated with it. [that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it!!]



  • I'm thinking this year, the 'flamingo is "in" for home decor. Everywhere I go to shop for little trinkets and or craft projects, the flamingo is everywhere!! From the cutest, whimsical cake plates to stuffed flamingos, or maybe salt and pepper shaker sets. At Hobby Lobby you can even carry the flamingo fetish from indoor to your outdoor decorative things!! Like, metal flamingo statuaries. [there is such a word as 'statuary' isn't there? Blogger spell check says differently. I think it is a word. Maybe not] ...but yesterday, at Dollar Tree, THEY even had 'em.

  • Pink...as in famingos...what does the color pink mean? It can be used to show childish innocence, or a characters child-like personality. The color pink usually serves two purposes. Pink is considered a color of good health and life - we speak of people being "in the pink" or the "freshness" of a newborn babe. Lastly, pink is associated with sexuality, and purity. That is, a girl who is a virgin in heart and body. Pink is symbolic of pure love, for example. It is also the color used for sexual advertisements and such, to indicate the purity of the girls. taken from: COLOR SYMBOLISMS

  • Things that make you go 'hmmmmmm'. Remember that song? By C C & Factory? From long ago...like maybe 20 years or more? [Here's the YouTube search result] Anyway, I read in our local newspaper that the city council is now considering a $20 tax hike on our utility bill ---to raise money for street repair/replacement!!! Can you believe that nonsense? Talk about unfair! First off, what about all the people that own no cars that tear up the streets? They don't use the streets...why should they pay for it? Sure, they use water and have trash picked up....but no car; no vehicle. Why not just put a county tax on license plates? The more vehicles you own --like company fleets and multi-car owners who USE and tear up the streets...pay appropriately!! They're..., to put it in Bugs Bunny's terms..."What a bunch of Maroons" (morons). We're being flim-flammed.

  • Maybe I should run for city council...straighten those guys' ways of thinkin'!

  • FINALLY...the patio project is coming to a close. We're nearly done, it'll be just a clean-up and then, hopefully photos coming soon.






  • CONNECTING TO:
    Mommy's Idea

    32 comments :

    1. Have a fantastic weekend, love you.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You have a great weekend too dear Denise.

        Delete
    2. You beat me on the flag quiz! I got 9 right. There were some interesting questions there.
      Glad to hear the patio project is nearly done - can't wait to see pictures!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. A few of those were tough questions and took a lot of 'thinking'. LOL

        Delete
    3. Good idea to tax through the license plates for car related things! Have a good weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes it is...makes more sense than to tax those that don't even HAVE vehicles with utility bills?!! That's seems unfair to me. It should be the responsibility of those that make use of the streets to keep them repaired.

        Delete
    4. If one actually stops to figure out how much they pay out in taxes - - - sales taxes, income, SS, and "hidden" like the increase in COST of an item to cover the taxes all along it's route to being created - - - the total percent is mind boggling.

      EVERY time "they" come up with a government program and people get all excited thinking it will be a "free benefit" I wonder if they don't realize they are raising their hand saying "me, me, me - - - let ME pay for it!"

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know, I know...everything these days is taxed. But the mess these streets are in...and the cost of upkeep on our vehicles because of the pot holes and corroded shoulders from hurricanes/storms and heavy traffic...well, no matter...I'd rather pay the $20 fee each year on taxing the license plates than to pay out HUNDREDS to get the car re-aligned and the front end fixed...

        Delete
      2. Here in Michigan, we get to pay some kind of a fee for everything because of the stupid "We can't raise taxes" mantra. Do they think we're so stupid that we can't realize if we're paying more for everything that the government is paying more for everything too? Duh!!!

        Delete
      3. Yep....I know. It's the same no matter where you live.

        Delete
    5. Considering I'm not American, I think I did pretty well... I got 9 too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, indeed!!! WTG Heather.

        Delete
    6. Same deal as Heather but I got an 11.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wow...Wayne, that is near perfect. Good deal.

        Delete
    7. I didn't fare quite as well on the flag quiz. Interesting ... and challenging. Thanks for sharing that.

      I can't wait to see the photos of the patio!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am working on the post for Sunday [when I will show the patio as it is now]. It's nothing spectacular...just a much needed facelift.

        Delete
    8. I'm not sure what the utility bill has to do with street repair. I could see maybe with a sewer system upgrade but even that seems like an outrageous amount more to pay.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Flamingos are always popular around here and there is never one far away, but we don;t have the real ones like Florida does. Are you going to get one?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Nah...Florida can have 'em. {snort}

        Delete
    10. Anni another great Friday post. We learn so much when we visit you.
      Hugs Madi and Mom

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. stick 'round....you'll learn more each and every day. ROFLMAO. [kidding]

        Delete
    11. I wondered to what the connection is between utilities & street repair. I can you as a councilman or government official ... that is a costly increase.

      Have a beautiful weekend ~
      TTFN ~
      Marydon

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It'd be a love hate relationship to be sure. I'd love being on the council, but fear that the rest of the fuddy-duddies wouldn't like me too well.

        Delete
    12. What fun on the flag quiz. Sorry I haven't been to visit lately, but life has been hectic. How are you and Bud been doing.

      I haven't posted on my blog lately because the new changes did something weird. I'm not great with HTML.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Mary...if you log into your blog...you CAN go back to your old interface.

        Bud and I are fine...hope you two are doing well.

        Delete
    13. I'd vote for you. Even though I live in Canada!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Jenn. For your 'vote of confidence'.

        Delete
    14. Hi Anni, Funny about Flamingos... When my sons were teens, people then would 'roll' people's yards (not with toilet paper--like they used to do), but by putting those tacky pink flamingos in someone's yard... Back then, pink flamingos were only there to be made fun of!!!! MY--how times have changed...

      The Govt/States/Counties/Communities, etc. will just keep on taxing us over and over and over --anyway they can... They don't care who uses the service, but just find the ways they can get the most money...

      Here in our county, they needed money for the roads.. Instead of charging a 'wheel tax' (which would be a tax for everyone who has a car) like other counties in TN do, they decided to add more taxes to our Property Taxes... What does that do??? WELL---only those of us who own property have to pay for the roads... We're in a poor county---so there are TONS of people who don't own their homes yet many of them have lots of cars/trucks. They are paying NOTHING ---but we are paying a bunch.... Totally ridiculous... Don't get me started? ha ha

      Hugs,
      Betsy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. "Wheel Tax"....I like that terminology.

        Delete
    15. my brain feels to fried right now I think I'll skip the quiz....lol

      ReplyDelete
    16. How long has your patio redo been going on? We are now pushing up against a year... and we still are not finished! Looking forward to the photos.

      ReplyDelete

    .