my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Aye Aye Captain...

Late in the morning...Bud and I drove to Port Aransas to see if we could see any different species of birds at some of the 'hot spots' on the Texas Coastal Birding route. One area that was dried and barren last year has a small amount of water from the Spring rains...which is good to see. But the only birds there as we drove by without stopping - were seagulls. Then it was off to the area of the fishing village to where you can continue straight on to board the ferry to cross the ships' channel to get on the other side; Aransas Pass. Before going that far a distance, we pulled off to Paradise Ponds [another excellent birding area] ---but, dried up with only a trickling of water and absolutely no birds. Funny, and I WISH I had thought to take a picture of it; there is a blackboard signage as you enter the boardwalk area, listing bird sightings for the last two days. On the previous day's entry, there were several bird species listed. But, the listing for the day at the time we arrived was Donald Duck, Daffy Duck and below I added Dr. Mallard NCIS -"Ducky". Nada in terms of feathered friends. By that time, I had to 'use the facilities if you know what I mean, so we hopped back in the car and drove a short distance further at another turnoff. This area is Salt Island, and there are 'miles' of raised boardwalk out onto the salt flats, and meandering hiking trails out yonder in opposite directions here and there to traverse the area along with gazebos, pavilions and restrooms!!! We walked a bit, stopping every once in a while to look through the binoculars in and around the few ponds of water that are there...ducks mainly. Nothing 'earth shattering'. As we turned to head back to the parking lot, just over the bluff is the huge water highway, the Aransas/Ingleside/Corpus Christi Ship Channel...looking over the top of the dune, I saw only a ship's conning tower peeking over. As I continued to walk behind Bud I watched the ship come more into view. I always wonder just where they came from, what country they belong to, and where they'll head next. Getting closer and closer to the channel and the parking lot at the beginning of the trail, the waterway comes into full view in spots between the hilly areas of the pathway. And the bright red hull loomed up clearly now. The bow of the ship showed the name. "PIGEON POINT"...it was a tanker. And laying high in the water, so of course that means the ship was empty of its cargo. We're assuming it was filled with oil. Or some natural fuel of some kind. I stopped and walked out near the channel's embankment to get a closer view and take advantage of the photo op. Heck, no birds, so I didn't want the morning to be wasted and go back home with no photos. LOL At the bow's wave, I could see dolphins showing them the way out ---but the delay on the camera didn't allow me to actually get them out of water....they go back in the water way too quickly....





After ending this walk, we drove to one more birding area; a favorite spot to watch waterfowl. But, I'll end my post here for the day and show more photos at another time. 'Cause on this day, I saw something I've NEVER SEEN BEFORE...ever. No, not any particular bird...it has to do with us leaving this last area to head back home and leave the area of the ship channel once again. [But seeing what we saw constituted us going BACK to the Salt Island area!!!!] So, stay tuned....




NOTE: Hodgepodge is taking time off for Easter...will return April 10th [Tuesday; posted questions]


28 comments :

  1. I love the way you snapped these boat pictures, very cool!! And can't wait till your next post to see whatever the surprise is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the upcoming 'surprise' was really quite awe-inspiring. Come back on Friday, I hope to have the images posted that day.

      Delete
  2. What a teaser! The ship photos were good - really get to see just how high out of the water they sit when empty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and how quickly they can move after the hull is emptied out.

      Delete
  3. Great pictures! Can't wait to see what's coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari...I'm hoping to post the 'rest of the story' for that particular day, on Friday!!!

      Delete
  4. I love ships, great pics. According to google the Pigeon Point is a methanol carrier that shuttles the product from Trinidad and Tobago to the US. http://www.mol.co.jp/opensea/04_e0507e.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yogi....thank you thank you. That info is so much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. seagulls are every where, there are plenty here. Dr Mallard, it is so funny. Just today, our news feature a member of Parliament called Trevor Mallard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unusual surname indeed. I swear, before NCIS on TV, I had never heard of that name before.

      Delete
  6. Wow these ship is huge and by the way I can't wait what is that "never seen it before" image. Hope it is not scary hehehe. Thanks for joiningWater World Wednesday I do appreciate it and see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you stopping by...and for hosting!!! Oh, and I visited your Watery post two times now, and failed to mention I loved your bridge images. Dang, I'm a bit slow today. Sorry.

      Delete
  7. Thank you,
    I enjoyed the walk along with you :-)
    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came along!!! Your company is always appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Wow, it's huge! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it IS huge ===with a zoom. LOL

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous pictures Anni so crisp and bright!!
    Mom is a big fan of anything red.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom likes Red? I didn't know that....now I do.

      Delete
  10. What great shots of the tanker and I can not wait to see the rest of the story. You are a teaser for sure.LOL
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon...it's good to see you!!! Glad you're back home, safe and sound.

      Delete
  11. Happy Easter, Anni!
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to your too Ms. "S".

      Delete
  12. Inerreting articles in blogs and fotos , greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louisette...I'm not sure where to find you and your most recent blog...the link took me to a list, but too many and most were posted a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  13. My sister and her husband built a life sized ship in their backyard. It's the same size as the Santa Maria (Christopher Columbus). It has 3 decks and a captains cabin for sleepovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm, a bit eccentric, but sounds like a real winner too. Does that make sense. We have a replica of all Columbus's ships here in town, and they're NOT small.

      Delete

.