my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




The "Hangin' Tree"

Do you see it like I do? Can you see a body hanging from the branch?



This is a shadow of a climbing rose on the back side of our garage brick wall...
Made me think of an old classic movie, starring Gary Cooper -- and Marty Robbins ballad; THE HANGIN' TREE. Maybe perhaps, a Native American Indian [with pigtails & cowboy hat] from an old-time gunslinger program. And, in case you didn't find it, here 'he' is [blue arrow]---






CONNECTING TO:





SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


Now, finally, I begin a new book. One I've been wanting to get 'into' for some time. It was adapted into a movie just recently....THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett. I do hope it will be good and keep me interested. I've not seen the movie either. So, it's gonna be something that will be surprising and not spoiled by any media hype from the Oscars or book critics, etc. This past Sunday, as I've mentioned last week in another post, it was my sister's and my annual celebration of sisterhood. I also mentioned I rec'd a gift from her. And what a perfect gift for me...a signed and numbered watercolor - pen/ink work of art. Purple Iris!!! You see, I love iris, and as with my sister, we both remember the huge acreage our dad had and all the iris he'd grow. The picture came matted and ready to frame. Oh and if you're interested, I found and bought her an antique cameo broach and a long scarf. One day this past week, we drove to Portland Texas on the other side of Harbor Bridge and Corpus Christi Bay to walk around Indian Point Park and then go into town and shop. The photo of the bay is from the park looking toward the Corpus Christi skyline. There is a K-Mart in Portland, unlike Corpus, and I was hoping to find some new Easter egg cups. I did...two of them. But, I digress. Our walk consisted of walking along Indian Point Fishing Pier and then along and around the shore of the bay...to finally end up traipsing the tidal basin where there are usually a lot of different birds. I don't know if we were too late in the day or what, but very few birds. Pelicans, of course, and sea gulls. One heron...a small blue heron [these are smaller than the Great Blues, and have a rusty colored neck and head with slate blue body and green feet.] By the time I got my camera out and aimed to where I had seen him...he was gone. After that we drove to Portland just a few miles away and ate lunch and went to K-Mart and Book, Ink....an used book store. Bud found a couple books, but I, found nothing of interest. After lunching at Wendy's, driving back, we decided to stop at the park once again to see if the heron had returned. Nada. No sign of him, but as we were driving out to exit the park...a HUGE osprey was dining on its 'catch of the day'!!! He was mighty regal-looking and such 'evil' eyes...like telling me "This is MY lunch...go home where you belong". PHOTOS I POSTED of him ...linked here. Also, this past week, I took a few hours to get out my Easter egg cup collection and even tho they're kinda 'misplaced' and sorta an inappropriate area of the house, I put them all out on the fireplace mantel and atop the TV entertainment center. Mainly to keep Tahoe from consuming the Easter grass. She never used to bother with tinsel or the 'grass' on any holiday until recently...gotta keep her 'safe' --she's too old and heavy to jump on the mantel and entertainment center. For the dining room table centerpiece, I made it all very whimsical with and Easter duck and Roger Rabbit-type bunny. Monday we left home early to catch a glimpse of the beaches after the Spring Break revelers left our area [we were surprised to see what -or I should say 'who' we saw, County Jail Inmates out cleaning the beaches of debris!! --I posted images on Friday...here], back home again, I washed the car and Bud vacuumed it all out of sand from the beach walk....Tuesday, it rained!! Go figure. We've both been continuing our hard work on getting the dead, parched grass out of the lawn - some very HUGE areas in back with several small patches; all needing to be re-seeded. It's slowly coming along and we both notice grass sprouting where we've planted seed. Eventually, we'll have a GREEN lawn again.

56 comments :

  1. I CAN see the hanging man and didn't even need the arrow to show me!!! Does this mean we are both morbid? I hope not! I just got The Help DVD for my birthday and am looking forward to watching it. Your Osprey pictures below are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morbid? Oh golly, I hope not. LOLOLOL

      Delete
  2. I noticed the shadow right away. The poor fellow seems somehow to be still wearing his ten gallow hat while hanging from the gallows!
    My daughter loved The Help. She listened to the book on tape and raved about it.
    I always love your little Easter cups. A wonderful collection to add to each each.
    Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, thanks....I couldn't recall what 'kind' of hat they called that....a 10 gallon hat, yes indeedy.

      Delete
  3. Neat shadow shot - I saw it right away!
    I loved The Help. I think it's one of the best books I ever read. Hope you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm most certainly enjoying it so far!!!

      Delete
  4. So enjoy your weekly wanders! Always fascinating and fun! And love the hanging body shadow! That really is quite eerie! It is so noticeable amid the other shadow shapes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it....thing is, it's been there for a long time now, and I just noticed it the other day.

      Delete
  5. How could I have missed the poor guy? I hope you enjoy The Help, I liked it AND the movie. And I'm glad you are sand free... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...sand free now, but not for long. Sand shows up all the time around here.

      Delete
  6. The shadows from the tree look so different from the leaves!

    I read The Help when it first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. Still waiting to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying the new read so far!!

      Delete
  7. How could yo u miss the hanging man ~ wow eerie.... Can't wait to hear your review!
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is going to be a quick read....I like it so much so far, that I don't want to put it down to do anything else. I'm positive I'll do a 'review' of it.

      Delete
  8. Great shadow post - it's so cool when we see recognizable shapes in them. We had a girls' night recently and watched The Help - enjoyed it a lot! Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin...I've had you in my thoughts...and I know now your treatments are finished...hope you'll be well soon.

      Delete
  9. great shadow anni...i do see him!! very funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much....I do hope you're enjoying the weekend.

      Delete
  10. Very nice shadow shot.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tatjana...coming from you with what I know of your photography skills, this is truly a compliment.

      Delete
  11. I saw the "hangee" immediately! Gruesome! (But also delightful!)

    Shifting Shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it is kinda 'gruesome'...I will give you that.

      Delete
  12. I see the hanging man! Great catch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the hanging man...nice shot! Glad you have had some fun time this week after all the spring cleaning! And more Easter egg cups? Hoping to see a shot of all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post images, I hope, of the cup collection soon....in April I'm thinking since it's closer to Easter then. LOL

      Delete
  14. That is a very cool shadow and I can indeed see the hanging man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Ann....always good to see you stop by. I think I'm falling in love with one guy called Duke.

      Delete
  15. Oh, yes! I can see it, too! What a great shadow shot for the day, Anni, as always! You do find some terrific captures! Very intriguing! Hope you've had a great weekend so far -- enjoy the remainder!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia, coming from you with your expertise in capturing some of the finest shadows on the meme is appreciated.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful captures!


    Thank you for your gorgeous contribution to Shadow Shot Sunday 2.


    Shadows of Nothingness, have a blessed Sunday!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your shadow this week Rose, was perfect for the day being Sunday and all.

      Delete
  17. Wow! What an interesting shadow shot. I saw the hanging man right away. The Marty Robbins song fits it quite well.

    That Osprey does indeed have evil eyes. I wouldn't want him mad at me!

    As for the inmates cleaning up, I think it is a good thing for them to do. Here they clean the trash off of the roadsides, but are dressed in the bright orange (pumpkin suits).

    Happy Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inmates, for some reason, when they do road work are in the stripes, but when they are in court, it's the orange. Beats me the reason behind it.

      Delete
  18. My husband and I both enjoyed THE HELP and am sure you will too! We liked the movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will!!! Glad to see you stop by for a visit Karen.

      Delete
  19. holy crap! good eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....y'know, that is just about what I said too, when I first spied it. That is..."holy crap" part anyway.

      Delete
  20. Excellent shot Anni and a great eye to find it. Shadows amaze me.
    Hugs C

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your new photo is BEAUTIFUL! You are beautiful!
    I love the photo - striking, with the hanging body.

    Greetings from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so enjoyed your blog post today...incredible images.

      Delete
  22. What a great photo. I did not find the cowboy until you pointed him out...I was looking for a life-size version lol.
    I had such an amazing time at my parents house in Port Orange, Florida. They have several osprey nests and a lake in their yard. I loved sitting on their deck and watching these regal birds swoop down for fish and bring it back to their young. I didn't like it when they swooped a bit too close..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I pointed it out for you then....it was just some fluke that I even saw it in the first place.

      Delete
  23. GREAT SHOT ANNI!!

    Blessings,

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly John...it's been quite a while since you've stopped by...glad to see you!!

      Delete
  24. Oh, my, yes, I can see the body hanging from the tree. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A oddity of nature, I guess. Glad you could see him....it. LOL

      Delete
  25. No problem for me seeing the hanging man. I love how you combine shadows with a theme. I have read The Help and enjoyed every word. I did not get to see the movie. I hope someday to see it. I feel you will enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so enjoying the book...you're so right. A great read.

      Delete
  26. LOL! Wow! I do see it! Very cool shot! And I say keep your watermarks if you want them. It is your work, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support BJK.

      Delete
  27. Saw a comment you left on Ginny's blog and loved your blog name...had to come check you out. Your Hangin' Tree is classic. I saw it right off, I'm also familiar with the movie and the ballad...I guess that dates me!

    ReplyDelete

.