my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




spring...in February







In our back yard, along the wooden privacy fence there is a raised flower garden...mostly tropical plants. This image is of the shadows cast from our Tombstone Rose bush on a few of the Bird of Paradise plant leaves...I love the BoP leaf that reminds me of canvas...or sail cloth...how the sun's light is filtering through. Then, recently there is so much "haiku" being shared on several shadow shot sundays' posts, I thought I'd give it a go and then state my thoughts on the idea of what some call Haiku [don't misunderstand me...I enjoy reading the works of others very much, and I've written these a few times as you can see by the link on my sidebar!!!]. But to refer any work to being Haiku - it's really a misnomer. A misconception of having 17 syllables [in all actuality it's called morae or 'on' and in all honesty, NOT the same concept!!] and is derived from 'kiru' meaning "cutting". And usually drawn from nature. Traditionally it's composed vertically, but "English Haiku" is composed in three horizontal lines. Haiku is a Japanese art and the English versions should never be considered as such. Following in the theme of shadows for today, my attempt at a poem [then, my concept]....

Faint kiss of shadows
Passions of mine unseen stir
Absorbed reverie


or with Translator:

影のかすかなキス
私の目に見えない騒ぎの情熱
吸収夢想


which actually translates back to English like this:

Faint shadow kiss
Passion of my invisible commotion
Absorption reverie


Count 'em...that's 20!! morae [syllables] instead of 17 - so all in all, in my opinion, any English Haiku [including my attempts] is not really a bona-fide art in relation to the true form. In English, oftentimes, there is no word that can translate to Japanese, so it's not something that could be done poetically as the real Haiku should be; it's closely befouling the Japanese traditional ingenuity. [my opinion only]



CONNECTING TO:






- - -


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

Started the annual Spring Cleaning during the day - watching movies after dinner!

MONDAY - 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Master Bedroom --
Scrubbing and cleaning --Ruby glass, Cardinals, Movie Memorabilia, Books, Jewelry box--along with washing walls, curtains, venetian blinds, waxing furniture, dusting, cleaning drawers and washing windows and Gone With the Wind figurines, and bed linens. Vacuumed when done. CHECK.




TUESDAY - 8:15 a.m.


Enroute to my appointment to get my hair cut for the Spring heat that will arrive shortly. Driving in FOG!! By 9 a.m. I was coming home and the weather had cleared and blue sky prevailed. Reaching home, I then began and finished the 3-room master bath with adjacent walk-in closet. Not much to do but dust wallpapering and scrubbing lavatory, mirror and bathtub/shower stall - cleaning cupboard and waxing. Was quite tired after this day, so secretly was thinking, "I'll take tomorrow off".

ME with my recent haircut
which I'm now using as my profile image




WEDNESDAY 11:55 a.m.

...which I did. I took the day off from cleaning. --walked along the shoreline drive by the marina and bay - after about an hour of walking, we crossed the boulevard and stopped at Subway sandwiches and ordered the Wednesday Special [Turkey breast on Honey Oat bread], and crossed the boulevard again, back to the other side... over to the seawall where they have benches for those who just love to sit and watch the sea. We ate while watching the pelicans and gulls and viewed the tranquil water. CHECK [btw, Bud took my new haircut photo when I got home --he liked it...he said "It's a Judy Dench cut"...which is one of his favorite British actresses.]



THURSDAY 5:30 a.m.

I woke up early and raring to begin another room. But my idea was nipped in the bud when I all too well knew that Bud was still sleeping. So, I got to my computer and started working on getting some posts and images loaded to Blogger for future use in blogging. Last night we watched an older movie that was an academy award winner [I think...LOL] CHICAGO, the musical with Reneé Zellweger, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Richard Gere. It's been a long time since we've watched it...a LONG time. I still like the music, and the 1920s fashions. My favorite song segment is Cellophane Man [the song and the whole scene of Roxie Heart's husband being invisible to the world]. So, with Bud getting up later than usual, I didn't get to begin the living room and the one big chore in that room...the cathedral ceiling all finished in cherry wood, until around 8:30 a.m. But, the dusting, waxing, cleaning walls/fireplace, picture frames, venetian blinds, windows and curtains, disinfecting the sofa and love seat and then, vacuuming the carpet! Finished the room around 1 p.m. CHECK


FRIDAY 7:30 a.m.

Woke up and read my phone texts I had ignored missed this week....Erik didn't get accepted into Rice for his PhD. He also added to thank everyone for the prayers. I know I'm more highly disappointed than he is even tho we all realized at the very beginning that it was truly a long shot - only 20 out of thousands who apply get in for graduate work; it's just me wanting everything 'good' for him and he's man enough to accept the outcome. More power to him. Maybe it is working out for the best...who knows what tomorrow will bring, loss of job, no income and then a student loan to pay off = poor house?!! You know the drill of a mother's thoughts and how things work. LOL I wasn't in a 'cleaning' mode that day, so instead I made a batch of brownies with pecans. While they're baking, it makes the entire house smell heavenly. Oh, and while they were being baked, as I took out the mix and trash to the outdoor trash bin, I noticed the hawk I photographed a few days ago, and shared his picture, had returned. I watched him for several minutes and couldn't resist trying to go walking over to see if I could again photograph him. I got three more pictures of him that I'll share once I get 'em off the camera's media card. We then [Bud and I] got ourselves caught up on watching the TV program Alcatraz online. We missed the airing last week on live streaming --so watched two episodes. This is quite a puzzling and interest catching mystery. I like it. Then, while eating dinner, we watched the latest episode of GRIMM. They are good too. NO SPRING CLEANING - check!


SATURDAY 6:00 a.m.
While my early morning ritual started online as the norm...I soon got side tracked. But, still online. I'm sure we've all done this a time or two. I had to find out just who this guy was...y'know...you see someone and can't place where you've seen 'em? After dinner Friday evening, we sat down and watched one of our DVDs --V for Vendetta. And the chief inspector, I could not for the life of me remember in what movie I've seen him before. And of course, during the movie, I asked Bud where...he thought Waking Up Ned Devine [oldie, comedy] , and I was sure it was in the movie CRYING GAME [yes it's also an oldie, I liked that movie and recall going into the conference room with one of the psychiatrists I worked with long ago...we BOTH really liked the movie and had a good hour long conversation..."on the clock" LOL ...suspenseful]. I just had to find out where...before I had another 'sleepless' night trying to remember. LOL Anyway, it WAS where I'd seen him. But he got older looking somehow. [snort!!] Stephen Rea About 7:00 a.m. With the temps dropping to the low 40s and raining heavily, I began the dining room and hallway of the usual as mentioned above in the other rooms...yada, yada, yada.

Around 2 p.m. the dining room sparkled, and the hallway and woodwork was complete. I took pictures of what this all entailed...mostly washing and more washing ---of all the shell collections and cobalt glass along with the collection of glass dolphins...lordy, I do have a lot of junk...y'know? LOL Now, I just began my last load of laundry, and plan on posting this early - take a shower and read my book 'til it's time to prepare dinner. Turkey meatloaf, twice baked potatoes topped with cheese, tossed salad with creamy caesar salad dressing, warmed dinner rolls and leftover brownies for dessert. Done 'til Monday...tomorrow, another day off from cleaning. CHECK Time to call it a 'day'...I'm tired.



That's it for the week... Th-t-th-h-that's all folks!!

55 comments :

  1. This is Anni...sorry 'bout the mis-post....I goofed and deleted the first one. If you have me in your reader and the post no longer exists, my apologies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful strong shadow patterns on the leaves! Absolutely delightful! And yes! I read your comments on haiku and simply smiled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope that what I had posted didn't spoil any thoughts on any Haiku ---I was just blabbing I guess. LOL Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. The textures in your shadow shot are outstanding!

    Your new photo is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. Glad you stopped by to visit.

      Delete
  4. Marvelous shadow shots for the day, Anni!! Love your new haircut! Hope you have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia....you made me feel special today.

      Delete
  5. beautiful shadow shot......and very nice photo of you....
    have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T....I enjoyed your pet noses and bench on the shore today too.

      Delete
  6. I see I have a lot to catch up on here! Well, I love your St. Pat's Day background!! Your cats are beautiful, I bet they need a lot of brushing! How many do you have? I LOVE your haircut!! We loved Waking Ned Divine! And also The Crying Game. That was back when you could actually be shocked by a movie, anything goes now. I am sorry about Erick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, we have just the two cats. Yes, I agree with you --anything goes with movies these days [and most plots are redundant] ---as you say long ago, we could actually be shocked at the outcome; well written scripts. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  7. I'm pretty impressed! You have been one busy lady!
    I'm sorry that Erick didn't get in - he would have done well.
    I love the picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari...Y'know I've been enjoying your photo shares this past week of your trip.

      Delete
  8. A lovely photo with a cute haircut and pretty soft blue eyes!

    Sounds like you had a busy and productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting....I think I put on a couple pounds stopping by your blog today. Yummy.

      Delete
  9. your flowers are so pretty

    beautiful haircut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Dianne...I thought your fencing shadows this week were good too.

      Delete
  10. You sure deserve to have a day or two off, Anni. That's some hard cleaning you did there. I could smell those brownies over here, I swear! And I LOVE your new photo. It's really a great haircut. Don't you wish you could just stop your hair from growing out somehow? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear one....I enjoyed your post today also ---and I hope if you do find what the symbol really means, that you'll let us know.

      Delete
  11. You are beautiful my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look good with your new haircut Anni! Thanks for contributing art to shadow shots!

    Coo Coo Clock Shadow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose...I must say, it's been years since I've seen one of your shadow shot shares today!

      Delete
  13. You live near the warm Gulf - very easy to enjoy the days outdoors so keeping to a cleaning schedule nonetheless is admirable...your home and decorations are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Ralph it's been a bit on the chilly and rainy side of the weather this week...at least a few days anyway. So that'll keep me indoors. LOL

      Delete
  14. I really really like that picture of the leaves and the shadow - lovely lovely.

    I also really like your new profile picture!

    And I really really wish I had the motivation to clean like you've been doing this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On cleaning house, I have to use this philosophy...if I don't do it, no one will. LOL "Git'er done". Thanks for the compliment and thanks for posting David's Journal today. I really liked reading it.

      Delete
  15. I rather like the idea of "invisible commotion"!

    And let me tell you: I really, really, really like being able to post here without having to strain my eyes on Blogger's new word verification system, which just plain sucks! Thank you, Anni, for making your blog user-friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you MMT! ---that Word Verification really sucks. Oh and by the way, I too love the 'invisible commotion'.

      Delete
  16. Whew... I am tired just reading about all the chores you have tackled this week. I have definitely not had a productive week. I have worked all week, but have done little around the house.
    Your shadow shot is awesome. The plant's leaves are very unique looking, not like a plant at all. And, hosting shadows from across the yard... cool.
    I like the new hair cut, it looks really nice and will be great for the hotter temps to come.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww, I just fell in love with your furbaby!! How adorable. Thanks for the comments and compliment...you made my day.

      Delete
  17. The spring sun is good at shadows ;)
    Heres my SSS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by today DawnTreader. Loved your images and especially your quotation you added.

      Delete
  18. WOW! That's a lot to cover. I don't work that hard in a month!
    Mrs. Spadoman has the Judy Dench cut as well, and it was at my suggestion. (Mrs. Spadoman is non competitive and although she takes care of herself, she does not spend money on fashion or vanity, a blessing I didn't know of when we married in 1971)
    So, I'm not Japanese, I'm Italian as far as my ancestry goes. But I don't do everything I do "American" or "Italian". I find an interpretation of haiku to be flattering to the Japanese. Like someone trying to communicate in English as they visit our shores, something like that. I sing songs in Ojibwe and Dakota Native languages, I cook Asian, Mexican, Italian and Jamaican amongst others. All I do is not perfect, just as my haiku may not be perfect. It is an interpretation of the art form, just like those that create folk art from another culture. That's my opinion about the haiku thing. I respect your opinion, let there be no doubt about that.
    Good to be back amongst the living. I've been ill but on the mend.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you recover fully Spadoman

      Delete
  19. First let me say you look STUNNING with your new haircut! Definitely Judy Dench! And, whatever your poem is called, it was very nice - had a nice flow to it and definitely evoked a picture in my mind. As to the other stuff...good grief, I thought we were supposed to be "retired", whatever that means! I swear, I work just as hard now as I did when I was working...what's up with that? But, it is true, when we have a lot of very valuable "stuff", it takes a lot of time to keep it clean. I have finally decided to get rid of lots of it...trying to simplify my life so I will have more time for doing the things I love to do! Great post today...lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay....just how do you 'decide to get rid of it'? ===Inquiring minds wanna know. Simplifying would work wonders for me...especially this time of year when I do my annual cleaning. I think to myself---"why do you have all this stuff Anni?"

      Delete
  20. i love the texture of the big leaves...lovely shadow shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....and I must say I enjoyed your icy/snowy images you've shared. And of course, goes without saying, your prose that you compose.

      Delete
  21. Yes, Anni, your comments this morning were right on - he was an amazing young man and his parents are totally awesome. He has a brother who is still struggling with the loss, but we have faith that he will be okay eventually. It is so wonderful to realize that he had such an impact in this messed up world.

    As for Clint, I don't know much about him, but he sounds like a wonderful young man. Does he lead singing in church or what? Our former pastor's daughter is DS and is mid forties now, I think (I should remember, since her birthday is so huge for her and she reminds us all that her birthday is in March), but she is such a blessing to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yikes!!! I am exhausted, just reading here. And so envious of your stamina! Hey, can you package some of that stamina, and send it out???? ,-)

    "Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings."
    ~ Jane Austen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh "Auntie" what happened to your profile image? The rose is pretty, but I like seeing your face when you stop by to visit.

      Delete
  23. Lovely image and you've had a busy week. You've inspired me! Have another great week Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise...loved all the hugs you shared this weekend.

      Delete
  24. An excellent shadow shot, and I like your haircut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly....I especially enjoyed your statue shadows this week.

      Delete
  25. What beautiful leaves dancing their shadow dance on wonderful tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I really enjoyed viewing your shadow dappled park images.

      Delete
  26. Wow, reading all that did made me tired! ha! Time for me to go rest up (and quilt).;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, must quilt more...just don't drink any more coke near by. LOL

      Delete
  27. Sea shells in glass and porcelain birds, hey, is this my house... :}}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your beach scenes today!

      Delete
  28. beautiful shadows! Love your haircut:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura...I visited with you and clicked on your blog link, but couldn't find another link for commenting. :::sigh:::

      Delete
  29. What's the big idea, slacking off all week???? hehe Boy, your house must be sparkling, so much work you and Bud put into the cleaning. I guess it's no use asking if you two want to come over here and help me clean mine from top to bottom? I didn't think so:-) It's fun having a lot of collections but a real pain when it comes time to cleaning them...it's the same with my faerie collection!

    I LOVE your new haircut, it really suits you! I'm in a funk with my hair. Sometimes I want to cut it short but then I've had it long for so many years, I cringe at the thought of cutting it! lol

    Now I have to go in my pantry and see if I have what's needed to make Brownies, you've got me craving them!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.