my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Blond roots showing up fast and furious now....

Margarita Chill Out ...not really, but oh the confusion is setting in. I tellya, if I hadn't started with the easy ancestors first, and began with the older generations [from the 1600s up to the late 1800s], I probably would be bald right now after pulling and tugging at my hair... just for the fact that everyone named their children the same Christian name!!! Bud's side....everyone from Europe, the immigrants, up to about the mid 1800s were given the name. Named the same as father and his father, and the father after that and so on and so on !!!! And on his other side, all the boys/men have the name of their fathers/grandfathers/great grandfathers and so forth!!! My side, the immigrants also, it's loads/tons of guys with the same given name on one side...and on the other side of mine...they're all named the same. Generation after generation!! Lord love a duck!!! They had to be insane!! I know, I know, it's probably a 'privileged' thing to be named after such and such...but, golly!!! I worked on one this morning from sun-up....I started it yesterday and worked on it about 10 hours---and I'm glad it's over. Done. The names...oh the names. Absolutely NO diversity. It's like ........who the heck did he marry again? or.....which dude is this again? The easy families, have different names and quick to decipher...like, good solid, DIFFERENT NAMES!! I see dark days ahead!!! Where is my lost shaker of salt? A good stiff margarita sounds good 'bout now. Heck, forget the mixer...just bring on the tequila!!!!!!!

Anyway, I came upon this cute little ditty I saved from long ago, over the years. And it will probably be used on my prologue page. It reads as follows:
    I went searchin' for an ancestor.
    I cannot find him still.
    He moved around from place to place
    and did not leave a will.
    He married where a courthouse burned.
    He mended all his fences.
    He avoided any man
    who came to take the U.S. Census!

    He always kept his luggage packed;
    this man who had no fame.
    And ever twenty years or so,
    this rascal changed his name!!

    His parents came from Europe.
    They should be upon some list
    of passengers to U. S. A.
    but somehow...
    they got missed.

    And no one else, in this world is searching for this man.
    So I play genealo-solitaire to find him if I can.
    I'm told he's buried in a plot.
    With a tombstone he was blessed.
    But the weather took engraving,
    and some vandals took the rest.

    He died before the county clerks decided to keep records.
    No family bible has emerged, in spite of all my efforts.
    To top it off...this ancestor, who caused me many groans,
    Just to give me one more pain, betrothed a girl named Jones!!!!
                    ~author M. Kenworthy




roflmao...I'm glad we don't have JONES in our family anywhere. I'd be in a looney bin right now!!! Trust me. I'm gonna take a break for a few minutes and then, back to scanning and editing another LONG group of the same names. PS...I don't drink any longer, so ginger ale sounds good right now. Oh and the animated graphic is linked to where I found it.



18 comments :

  1. You are too cute!!! We researched for 30 year & finally folded it this year into book form for our family. What was even worse if a child or 2 or 3 or 4 died they continued to use the first child's name until a live birth occurred ... drove me bat spit for a good while sorting thru that mess. It didn't help having a name like FORD either! So love the language, descriptive, they used back then ... nowadays there would be lawsuits all over the place. Every now & then I still get the itch but 1400s & 1600s were enough ... for the time being anyway.

    Have fun searching, sweet lady ... & have a beautiful day.
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found a lot of the same names in our geneology too - must be the way they did things then!
    Love the graphic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to hear something really funny (frustrating)?? My Mom was a Jones; my Dad was a Thomas. Try to figure THAT one out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! My father's grandmother was Mary and she married a John Smith?!? Crazy huh, this genealogy stuff. But totally fun and fascinating too!

    Love the poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like toooooo much work for me...I would get too frustrated! I only know my ancestors going back 6 generations...thats enough to keep me happy!!!
    Love that poem how true!!! Happy searching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is not very encouraging to someone who is going to start the process in a few months. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds frustrating! I don't think I have the patience necessary to do this kind of project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! A lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you're doing it. I don't think I'd know where to start.

    I guess your ancestors just weren't very good at coming up with new names? That must be it. Or else it's easier to get everyone's attention when there's only one name to holler!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been helping my mom do our family tree and we're having the same problem. That, and the 29 different spellings each person seemed to have back in the day. What's up with that???

    ReplyDelete
  11. From what I've seen delving into genealogy, which is something I would love to do, it's a bit like being a detective. Others have told me that once you start finding out things it becomes addictive. Loved the ditti.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my gosh. I feel your pain, confusion, frustration. I've gone through records 'til my eyes were spinning.

    As to the blond roots showing, I wish mine were. They've been replaced by gray.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hats off to you. I know it is a lot of work but will be worth it. I would like to do this someday but I know there is Native American ancestry and that will really complicate things for me due to the lack of records. Happy Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was so cute... Loved it!!!
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Anni you have worked way too hard this past week....you must be about crossed eyed and have a sore back.
    Kudos for a job well done and finished.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  16. BRILLIANT----are we kin? LOL

    Hugs,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! Anni, your song really sums up the process. I have been researching mine and my husband's families for over ten years and have run into almost all of those roadblocks.

    And you are right, all those families used the same Christian names over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anni! Good for you to get that all done, and that poem is cute too. I only get going on my genealogy stuff when I am inspired; a couple of times a year. That means that I forget a lot in-between times and my Mom has to correct me.

    When you started talking Jimmy Buffett and your project making you crazy I thought of this line: "If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." Sounds like what you are doing could cause that! Congrats though. Was the name John?

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

.