“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Shadows of a Holiday Weekend...


[CLICK HERE TO JOIN]


SHADOW SHOT SUNDAY


4th of July stuff in our dining room, living room---











...and alongside our driveway






SUNDAY'S SUMMARY

Just as we had planned on taking a day off from yard work and lazing around the house this week, Tropical Storm Arlene zipped just below our coastline and the county closed all beaches. Where we had planned on going. There were extreme high tides and vicious rip currents. And of course, tons of debris. So, for the safety of the people, they closed all access roads and patrolled the area. After the storm made land in Old Mexico [Brownsville, Texas got rains from her, but not us.] ---once the storm made its way inland, the beaches were open for the 4th of July holiday weekend. So, no beach for us 'til the campers and vacationers leave. We went to the movie CARS II and both of us were disappointed. Somewhat busy throughout the entire movie. But of course Tow Mater is always a delight...my favorite. Another sequel that isn't up to par with the first. The Target store here in one of the strip malls along one of the freeways is doing a lot of renovations so there was a huge 'sell-all' sales. I went in while Bud was at the bookstore and checked things out. I found this pair of sandals. I've noticed a lot of women wearing this 'Egyptian' style for some time now, and often thought of buying a pair for the summer. With the price at half price, I bought 'em. I like 'em mostly 'cause they are mixed with brown and black leather, instead of all one color!! And they are quite comfortable. We dug out and replaced the soaker-hose that goes around our foundation [the ground here shrinks something terrible if you don't keep it moist...thus, the walls will crack and foundation work then needs to be done to level things out ... which would require wall repairs inside!!] Bud pulled weeds, while I trimmed the purple bougainvillea bush, one day this week. Winston, the white persian kitty, required some Rx eardrops for cleaning, so the two of us have been doing his ears...cleaning them out. They are looking good right now. It's been the allotted seven days of the prescription...now we have to wait two weeks, and do it for another seven days. By then, they should be in good shape. I haven't forgotten that I mentioned I would show y'all what Bud got me for our anniversary...I've been trying to find a piece to go with it, and am still unsatisfied with what I've seen. I'm going to keep looking for that special 'piece' to go with it, and then show here sometime. I haven't even used it yet...hope to real soon. My weight loss is at a stand still...I haven't gained any, but it's sticking right about the same from last week's five pounds lost. Well, let me put it this way...we went to 5 Guys Burgers and I ate enough french fries to total a day's worth of calories with THOSE. I gained two pounds, lost the two and haven't weighed yet this morning. Maybe another pound is lost, but really doubt it. That's about it, for the past week. At least all I can think of this morning. I'm running behind on my blogging schedule so I will close for now.....

29 comments :

  1. You are the queen of decorating for every holiday! Looks good. :)
    I lost 6 last week and will see what tomorrow brings for weigh in. Good for you on the 5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great decorating and your outside shot makes me long for warmer weather again.
    Thanks for your lovely comment and for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that last photo, Anni. Gorgeous.
    And can't believe you need to lose weight. My nieces tell me I've lost some, but, if I did, it was from being sick for three weeks, not from anything I did on purpose. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurricane season always has me on edge...the last big one through here was Hugo and I promise that one was enough to last a lifetime!

    I'm not happy with my scale this week even though it's down 5 lbs. I am doing that impatient thing- which sometimes leads to sabotage. Luckily I recognize it and will, hopefully, ward it off. Oh, and I LOVE Five Guys burgers and fries. LOVE THEM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of a soaker-hose before. Too much moisture and getting the draining right is usually the problem with houses here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely sandals - they do look like they have a heel on them. You've had a busy week! That bush looks great - healthy and busy blooming! Have a fabulous July 4th - looks like you're all ready!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I can't show my wife the picture of those sandals or it'll be all over! She is in Cozumel diving for the weekend so I hope she doesn't find them on her own. Nice pictures Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the sweetest comment. i'm flattered:) i sew curtains (simple pieces only^_^) when i can find spare time away from blogging:)

    btw. hope your 4th is great sans any storm...whatever...:) and after torrents maybe, you could strut that cute sandal....love it...really...much hype nowadays:)

    im following you now:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sandals and your Crepe Myrtal is gorgeous... Loved all your photos and your decorations look awesome! Sorry to hear tha Cars II is not so good... my little grandsons love the first movie. Have fun and keep safe over the holiday weekend!
    HUGS
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. another delightful post Anni. I remember hearing about that tropical storm and wondering if you would get any rain out of it. according to our weatherman, Texas is in a drought. or at least parts of it. I like the black and brown leather sandals too. I have a leather purse that combines both of those colors and I like it mainly because I can use it with either black or brown shoes! I hope you have a wonderful July 4th celebration, and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red, white and blue in generous splashes! Happy 4th, Anni!


    SHADOW, BE TRUE

    My shadow has come out to play.
    Oh, shadow, please don’t run away!
    Stay here by my side,
    Pretend you’re my bride—
    Be true to me now and alway!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


    Shadowy Callejon (Alley)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful flowers!

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2011/07/shadow-shot.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Annie Sweetie...
    I loved, Loved browsing around Hootin Annie's this morning. I is always filled with so many treasures and such a delight. You never let a holiday pass that you don't decorate. I love that.

    Now I am SO in love with those sandals. I bought a cute pair at Pay-Less and even found a cute pair at Kohl's. These however are just perfect. I will be checking out our Target as well to see if they carry these cuties.

    Oh and Tow Meter, he rocks. Love that guy. Maybe I want to keep the memories of Cars and not see this new one.

    Happy 4th Sweet Annie. May your day be filled with lots of love and laughter, and new memories to file away for those rainy days there in your area. Many hugs and much love from Phoenix, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute sandals.
    Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice photos.
    Have a beautiful 4th of July!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well your crepemyrtle sure is blooming nicely. My MIL gave us several when our son was born (22 years ago) and they've never bloomed much, if at all! I'm not sure we planted them where they get enough light or something.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni girl don't drive yourself mad over weight issues .. I have a feeling you are not a "big" gal anyways .. life is short .. enjoy yourself!!
    Wow on the storm .. I now try to watch what is happening since son will be moving (when all the red tape is cleared up) to his new home with his wife in South Carolina .. they have been getting thunderstorms almost every night ! My daughter-in-law has 3 beautiful cats and we have two .. so I understand the health issues and care that goes with long haired cats .. Emma is finally growing her coat back after the cat-tastrophe from her groomers thinking I said shave her like a French Poodle ?????? kidding but they did do it and I still don't know how they could have thought I SAID THAT ?
    Hope the weather holds well for you and you get to have a great 4th of July celebration .. set off some sparklers and firecrackers for me too eh !! hahaha
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the 5# lost...I'm having great trouble loosing 1#. Those shoes are cool, but i couldn't walk in heels that high...I'm strictly a flats gal,and at 5'1" I really need some extra height.hehe. I had trouble finding you on the blenza list today. Probably just my old/befuddled mind. Thanks for the reminder to put on my July4th table clothe. As soon as I get home from using Starbucks wi-fi I'll change it out!! Happy SSS & 4th to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always have such nice decorations for each holiday. Sorry you can't go to the beach!

    The cat procedure doesn't sound like fun!

    Can't wait to see what Bud got you.

    Cute sandals.

    I read the same critique of the new Cars movie. Sometimes I wish they'd leave well enough alone.

    Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anni, Love the 4th of July decorations. Is that Betsy Ross I see there?

    Lovely flowering shrub along the driveway.

    Nice sandals. Why don't they have anything like that around here? I can never find anything I like and have a lot of trouble buying shoes.

    Enjoy your blogging break.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi - I love those sandals - I can't resist a bargain either - your kitty sounds very brave - thanks for visiting my blog - do visit again if you have time x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anni ... that is so neat that you decorate the inside for the 4th, and your sandals are cool! I'm going to be taking a blogging break too ... going off to take a ton more pics. Sorry about your beach plans, but glad the storm didn't come close.

    Have a wonderful week,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  23. P.S. - If Derek Jeter hits 3000 before either one of us is back online ... know that I am thinking of you and celebrating too!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sorry to hear that you did not get to go to the beach. I am trying to play catch up with you as I was gone a few days also. My flower beds were screaming my name to pull the weeds.LOL
    Have a nice time on your days away. It is fun to get away.
    I will sure miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Anni, hope you are having a fun but relaxing break. Love your holiday photos!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I watch on TV the terrible dust storm.

    How's the weight loss regime? I never succeed and my stomach is like I am 6 months pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anni,

    I have lost the link to Thursday Theme song, where can I download another?

    Thanks,

    Ann

    ReplyDelete

.