my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Did someone say "Money"?


CLICK HERE to Join

...a meme where you match photos to song lyrics

THE GAMBLER Link: by Kenny Rogers [original, and as far as I'm concerned, the best video!]
Photo Credits: A fun one this week...I got out our old fashioned western 'numberless' cards [the way they were in the 'old west' era] and dealt out a winning hand, and a losing hand. "Reading" peoples' faces is a pirate skeleton doll that Bud designed. Train bound for 'nowhere' is a permanently displayed engine in Cheyenne Wyoming [sorry, it's NOT summer...it's a snowy winter day]. The Whiskey is actually iced tea in a Cutty Sark [brand of whiskey] glass. Time for dealing is Bud's old pocket watch...but MY MONEY!! And Jack Daniels poker chips round it all off-----



On a warm summer's evenin' on a train bound for nowhere,


I met up with the gambler; we were both too tired to sleep.
So we took turns a starin' out the window at the darkness
'Til boredom overtook us, and he began to speak.

He said, "Son, I've made my life out of readin' people's faces,


And knowin' what their cards were by the way they held their eyes.
So if you don't mind my sayin', I can see you're out of aces.
For a taste of your whiskey I'll give you some advice."


So I handed him my bottle and he drank down my last swallow.
Then he bummed a cigarette and asked me for a light.


And the night got deathly quiet, and his face lost all expression.
Said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.


There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.


Now Ev'ry gambler knows that the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away and knowing what to keep.
'Cause ev'ry hand's a winner


and ev'ry hand's a loser,



And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep."

14 comments :

  1. Goodness but you are so good at this Anni! I keep thinking that I'll give it a go and then think, no, I'll just keep heading over and see what Anni's got going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent song and pictures. I just watched a Tribute to Kenny for 50 years in music. What great songs!! Oh my goodness and Dolly made an appearance too.
    We missed not participating today but we will be back next week,
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well put together....Love this song n Kenny Rogers.. He is hard to recognize now that he has had plastic surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever and a fun way to start a Thursday...
    Words to live by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my doubts about the Whisky, everybody can say so, lol ! The skeleton is real nice I just could put it in my wardrobe as a kind of alarm if somebody wants to count my clothes !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni, I love it! I'm going to have to try it sometime; really! Thanks so much for stopping by to say hi, and have a wonderful day.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one Anni!!!
    HUGS
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one! And I like that song.

    Thanks for the kind words you left in my blog. The twins were named Soleil and Sophie. :)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post for your themesong. I can hear kenny Rogers singing it now. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this song and the photos you used to illustrate it Anni. Those old fashioned playing cards are really cool, I didn't know they haven't always had numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great illustration and great song.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! Now I can't get that song out of my mind! Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you should never gamble when your eyes are tired.

    Don't know this song, but sure loved playing the cards when I was little. and then get the cane from Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd never seen cards with no numbers on them, how cool is that?! Perfect pictures to go with the song. I think that's one of the best songs Kenny Rogers ever sang, love it!! I've never played poker but have watched people play and can't get over how much money the pot can add up to! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.