“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






A traditional holiday plant -with a twist

the 'twist' is yarn!!


Click button to join
FOLLOW ME TUESDAY linked button on SIDEBAR!!



I always buy one poinsettia for the season. Well, at least one. What I'd really like to have is have one planted outdoors!! I've seen 'em growing 'wild' along the roads in Old Mexico, I've seen 'em in yards in Florida. I've even seen one huge one in the Alamo Grounds in San Antonio....but I've never had any luck getting the ones I buy in stores to survive planted in the ground outdoors. I did come close to success in Tucson, they actually bloomed the following year, but then, for some reason, they perished. I was told by the horticulturalist at the plant nursery that the ones they sell in America are hybrids. Well...pffft!! Why don't they sell the 'real' stuff?!!! LOL

Anyway, over the past week, I took my passion a bit further and finished a crocheted scarf of poinsettias. I think, in time, I will make one of the 'traditional' reds. But for now, I thought [since I had a few scraps of leftover yarn that needed to be used] I'd make one to match my winter coat color. The coat is a pale magenta, the yarn is close to matching and with the black I used to frame the poinsettias, the yarn looks very similar in the magenta shade of the wool in the coat. Without further ado...the finished scarf---





22 comments :

  1. What an awesome bright scarf, Anni.I love it.
    Have a lovely Christmas week ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do great work! And this poinsettia won't drop it's leaves like mine always do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days you must teach how you do these precious things
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful idea for a winter scarf!
    Happy Holidays~

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very pretty...You've been busy.
    We could never plant them outdoors here because of the winter temperatures..I've never kept one over a year although I knew someone who had huge ones she'd had for years and they bloomed each year.
    Have a good evening.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ann,
    That is just lovely. My mother did embroidery but I never learned and I regret that. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    Mine is here if you have time for a visit.

    http://shinade.blogspot.com/2010/12/ruby-tuesday-sergeant-wright-dr-wright.html

    Happy RT,
    Jackie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!

    Happy Ruby Tuesday.

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The crocheted scarf is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni what a beautiful scarf!!!
    How long did it take to make it?
    I really like all the different colors too.

    Well done would you mind sharing the pattern?

    My big project this year was a surprise gift for my daughter and son in law....which
    I'll post after Christmas. HA!!!
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my...this is amazing, Anni..I love it and didn't realize that you crochet, too. You are a lady of many talents!!! :)
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's really pretty, the patterns are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful scarf. I wish that I could make something that beautiful.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations ! they came out very nice !! I have no patience for such things !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like poinsettias also. never have seen them along the room or Outside.
    Ruby Tuesday-shopping time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm your new follower from FMBT!
    http://tite-roy-gatra2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here from the bloghop.
    I follow you on GFC. I'd love for you to follow me back
    Tiffany
    http://tiffspixiedust.blogspot.com
    Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a terrific job!
    Stopping by and following your blog from the F.M.B.T blog hop...
    Have a happy holiday season!
    Best,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! Love your beautiful poinsettias!
    Thanks for sharing;o)

    ***
    Have a beautiful day****

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Anni, it's gorgeous! What a unique idea, to make yourself a poinsettia scarf. I love it!! I've never had any luck keeping a poinsettia plant going after the holidays are over, it always dies on me. I do everything they say to do, even keeping it in a dark cool place but nope, doesn't work for me. Of course we can't grow them outside over here, they'd die of shock from the cold! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is that a Jim Shore ornament? I just bought myself the latest Tinkerbell Jim Shore ornament:-) Whew, I'm glad that Xmas is okay to use because I've used it often! lol

    Got your Christmas card yesterday, thank you SO much for it:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.