THIS WEEK at I'd Rather B Birdin'
-photos of-

BBW DUCKS - PECTORAL SANDPIPER - OYSERCATCHER - WILLET - GB HERON
click on bird name[s] to view them
and read a bit of trivia about them!!
...............Hope to see you there!..............




Boredom leads to a treasure....


CLICK EITHER BUTTON to join

Flash Fiction 55 below my....



SHOW N TELL





On Tuesday I was so extremely at a loss with not much to do around the house. And, I can't just sit idly on my derriere for long without going stir crazy. Bud was keeping himself busy with tinkering in the garage. I had the house cleaned and vacuumed; my chores for the day complete. We had gone out for our lunch at Cracker Barrel, and now that I was back home, boredom over-took me. I hopped in the car and drove a short distance to the thrift shop to put a bag of clothes in their donation box. The bag of clothes had been sitting in our garage for far too long; I had cleaned out our closets weeks prior and these clothes items were to be donated long ago. Instead of just dropping it off by pulling the car up to the box, I parked and got out. After depositing the bag, I walked in to the thrift store thinking maybe they'd have Christmas trinkets out on their shelves. Boy howdy, did they ever have loads of stuff. Most of it was junky that I personally don't think anyone would want...but on the end of the row, their he stood. Just as pretty as you please. Yep, you guessed it. O' Mr. Claus himself. And he was just so very handsome. I picked him up and did a thorough glance over for any chips and or broken areas. None. He was in perfect shape. And actually quite clean [tho I have cleaned him up for sanitary issues]. And get this, he was a Jim Shore Figurine!!!! I knew right away who Mr. C was made by. Just by the fact I love Shore's art work!! I saw no price. Of course, I'm not really savvy when it comes to shopping at thrift stores, so I asked a shopper how we know what the cost was. She helped me look for it. Duh....written on the bottom. I didn't look for nicks on the bottom!! I was thinking beforehand I wouldn't pay over $30.00 for it, being that in retail his figurines are very costly. And it being used...well....OMG!!!!! It was priced at $6.50!! I rushed up to the cashier and left. Getting home I showed Bud my find and got on the computer right away to see how much I saved finding him at the 'used' store. Whoa....I was taken aback big time. One site [the figurine of Mr. C I found has been retired which means no longer being reproduced and now a collector's piece]....the one site had him for sale at $99.00. One place I found him, on Ebay, the bids were up to $125!! I am so glad that I decided to go inside. I felt as if I had found a treasured work of art hidden behind a painting worth millions like the tabloids print about. LOLOLOL







- - -<><><>- - -


FLASH FICTION 55

Stepping off the train onto the old wooden platform, with open arms from my ma and pa, they greeted me...Driving over the snow-packed, country, lane, their house was lighted and welcoming! Come daybreak, Christmas morn, I awoke to an empty room...Last night, for a fleeting moment, I was home....only in my dreams!!







Christmas lane image courtesy of webshots

41 comments:

  1. The things you find my friend. He is a good looking Santa I must say. You know one persons junk is another's treasure. Now I'm not saying whose is what here but....LOL Gorgeous. And your 55...awesome. Who knows the dream might become a reality :) Have a great Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous looking Santa! I love him!

    Thanks for stopping by earlier at Red Ted Art!

    Lovely to "meet"

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni

    Great thrift store find,,, one never knows what treasures lurk there, glad you found the pretty figurine for I know you will take care of it and appreciate it.

    You 55er is beautiful, poignant and tender,--- I wonder how many of us have that same dream --- a very zen moment reading it. Reminds me of the play Our Town written by Thornton Wilder, where the main character now dead gets one last wish granted to go back in time & relive one brief moment in her childhood.

    season greetings to you and yours,
    joanny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing find. Thrift shops are a fun shopping experience..not always finding anything but sometimes Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find! Thank you for visited me at my blog and for your lovely comments! I am your newest follower. I would love it to follow me back!
    Great scarf.... I am going to leave my comment for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Santa is very cute, and what a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. Merry Christmas! What a great find! Don't you just love finding a treasure of value?! Thanks for visiting.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a score. The most important part is that you love it but it's always nice to know you did really good. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great find, Annie!!!
    I'm sure he has his special place amongst the rest of your Santa's!
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, how bittersweet. i had a dream that my father was here and i introduced him to my little ones. he has been gone for 7 years now. i just love your santa!! that figurine is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so lucky girl.
    It is a beautiful piece.
    Makes you wonder if the person who gave it away know what it truly was.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Jim Shore santa's, and have several around the house. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Santa! As someone who likes to put a little bit of Christmas in every room, he would be perfect for my blue guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i heart Jim Shore. and this is an awesome find!!! great price and he's so pretty Mr. C. thanks for stopping by Type A!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. dreams of memories can be such powerful things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A sad wakening, but sweet dreams

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dreams make life worth living sometimes. Have a great weekend and a happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of those "REALLY Feel GOOD STORIES"!!! Love it!!! I've been beckoned into those shops with little voice telling me to "Come On In"... Santa is WONDERFUL, LOVE him!!! I also LOVE the color, and the birdie and birdhouse make him EXTRA special...He's so different...
    Thank you for sharing,
    Hugs to you, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. He is gorgeous! I love Jim Shore's work. I have bought several of his Santa's for gifts but I don't own one myself. That was a great thrift store find. Have a Merry Christmas!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anni, what a lovely dream.

    (I don't know anything about figurines, but the one you got is really cute.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful find...He truly is gorgeous and I love the colors...I wish I had a real size bird house just like he is holding also.

    Thank you for stopping by my show and tell this week.

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Always beautiful to come home!

    Now, this Mr. Claus, this is beautiful! Great find! What a wonderful decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! My mom puts up a beautiful village like this every year, and even at 45, I love to stare at the little people and imagine a long ago time. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anni, Mr. Claus is beautiful. It was your lucky day. What a find.

    Thrift shops have to be scoured for treasures such as this. It is rare, but they can be found there. I'm glad you found him to add to your collection.

    Love your Flash Fiction and the graphic is lovely. My kind of picture.

    Thanks so much for the anniversary wishes. We will be moving everything back into the kitchen after the floor being laid yesterday. Best get some photos right now.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is gorgeous! I can't believe you found him for that price, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just like the song says, "...if only in my dreams" nice 55

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Santa is quite the find

    Your 55 is packed full of memories of a warm hearth and a home packed with family.

    Thanks Annie - good to see ya
    and have Wonderful Holidays

    Love the Moon

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh what a wonderful treasure to found.
    It is beautiful. Good thing you were bored or you would never have found it!!!
    Timing is everything.

    How do you come up with the Flash Fiction 55?
    Each time I read one I'm amazed.
    Happy Weekend, and today is my last day of work for the year.
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anni!
    Now I've learned something from you. I'd never heard of Jim Shore. But what a cutie patootie of a Santa he is!
    I live to shop secondhand! There's nothing like that feeling when you find a treasure for a dime! Actually happens to me almost every time I go to the fleas etc. But not like that! That was quite a score! I hope it made a convert out of you *winks*
    I also loved your flash fiction....so sweet and haunting...but in a great way. Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  30. so heart warming in the beginning, yet heart breaking in the end,
    well done.
    love your 55.
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh this is hard...but at least you got a glimpse...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! Lady, what a great gift and just think if you'd not been bored and gone out, someone else would have gotten a treasure...we know there are bargain hunters on the look out for just these sorts of bargains so they can resale them on Ebay....I like him because he is only two colors...most of Jim Shores are multi colored. I bet that makes him even more rare...easily recognized because of the quilt design....got your surprise in the mail today.
    Thanks, Anni

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yeah.... I know the feeling!
    You have such a lovely blog Anni!!
    Loved your 55 My Friend.
    Thanks for playing, thanks for your support, and have a Kick Ass Week-End...G

    ReplyDelete
  34. That beautiful Santa, art piece was waiting just for you Annie!! He is a gorgeous piece

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great find!

    I especially love the blue color.....

    ReplyDelete
  36. for a fleeting moment i was home...speaks to me of childhood memories and warmth..beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, what a bargain! Don't you just LOVE it when that happens?

    And you're right, yours and mine would look adorable sitting together!

    Have a wonderful weekend! We've had a foot of snow here today! Our children are SOOOO excited!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awww! I wanted it to be real...not a dream. Though it was a lovely one!

    And that Santa is gorgeous! What a lovely find. He was meant to come to your home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi there,

    I have to say that Santa of yours is beautiful and quite unique. I've never seen one like this. Great find!

    Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I love visitors.

    I hope you have a lovely week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awww, what a shame to wake up from such a wonderful dream.

    ReplyDelete

.