my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




How High's The Water, Mama?



Click either button to Join


TWO FEET high...'n' risin'-----

Sunday morning, it began raining around 5 a.m....a nice mild rain, slow coming and soaking into the ground. Then, the storm built to a furious downpour. The street drains were backin' up....

These photos taken from our front porch around 10 a.m. ---about 5 hours into the storm system. [enlarge 'em and you'll notice rainwater up on the sidewalk...]




---it wasn't that bad, we've had street flooding before---





But the rain didn't stop anytime soon. Long about 4 or so in the afternoon, the heavy amount was beginning to concern me. The water level was nearing our front porch and garage door [these all on an incline pitch of quite a few degrees], Neighbor's driveways were filling up with floodwaters---




Our yard...these next two photos show the level of water continually making its way to the house foundation. The one photo shows part of the driveway---this is creeping up to the garage door [the garage door is about 20-25 feet from the street's curb] The other photo shows our mailbox [the red brick in the center just below the 'dead end' street sign]. Oh, and if you enlarge the one with the street sign, you will see the fire hydrant [just below to the right of the sign---not much is visible being that it too is under water] and if enlarged, you can see the water is up to the foundation of the house in the 'top' of the picture...the very SAME house shown in the third photo down from the top of the post [house on the top view of photo]---where you can still SEE lawn in that photo to compare the storm flooding progress.




Two photos taken from the living room window...inside, looking out. The 'white' between the bushes and black porch railing is all water -normally green grass....right up to the porch [about 25-30 feet from the street]----




Between 5:30 and 6 pm the rains finally subsided. Falling in a gentle mist. The neighborhood came alive again. I had to go check to see how deep it was at the street----I took a yard stick and waded out---There is about 18 inches of the yard stick [36" long] that is immersed, and 18 inches above water level....it's nearly up to my knees!!! And the boat? Did it wash in from the Gulf Shore? No...LOL...the neighbors brought it home from the Marina when there was a possibility of Hurricane Hermine making it to coastal Texas a couple weeks ago....for 'safe keeping'. LOLOL It IS on a trailer...the trailer not being too visible with the depth of the water.



And the fun part of the whole day? Our neighbors enjoying the calm as the waters began to recede....



35 comments :

  1. OMG It looks like the boat is floating. It can be real scary to have it flood like that. One time I was house sitting at a friends condo. The rain was beginning to come up to the door. Everyone in the complex was bailing water digging trenches whatever we could do. No water got in the houses thankfully. Great photos Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, takes me back to when we lived in Florida and flooding streets were a normal thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That is a whole lot of water! I'm so glad you didn't get more and that it didn't make it into your house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anni,

    I didn't know you live in New Zealand? LOL This is what is happening in parts of New Zealand now.

    Such sexy legs. When I was living in Borneo, every year, we flash our sexy legs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woosh that was some rain storm. Lucky it didn't go inside. Not far of by the looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are scenes I've viewed many times in my neighborhood south of Houston. Once you've actually had water come into your house (three feet in our apartment back in 1979) you always watch this progression with nervous eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so glad your house was spared. how scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anni,

    Well, they made great fun out of a bad situation! Good for them. I hope you didn't have any damage to your basement. How long did it take to subside?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shirley After the rain stopped, the gutters cleared out much much quicker....it took 'til about midnight for the water to get out of the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking about you when I saw the storm heading your way. Thank goodness the rain stopped. I bet the whole neighborhood was in stess overload.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure hope there were no basements flooded! We had a storm like that last summer, and I forget how many houses had the sewers back up in the basements. Third time in ten years! We were lucky - only a couple gallons came in the basement window.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy Well, this close to sea level in our 'neck of the woods'...there ARE no basements...just slab foundation. But our living room is a sunken living room...we woulda been in deep doo doo if the water came in through the front door!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, hope your home stayed dry! Having survived the Iowa Flood of 08, I know having water in the house is not much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MY WORD.....I'm speechless....thank goodness it stopped. Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. We are in dire straits for rain but goodness not that much.

    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni! It looks your really having fun!
    http://junneth-yellowbelle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great (if scary!) set of pictures!
    The kayaks are terrific. Hope you didn't have any damage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. BTW, I see that you have a button for World Down Syndrome day. What is your connection? I have a daughter (3 1/2) with Down's, so I'm always thrilled to find people in the bloggy world who share my love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathleen My D S 'connection' is my 21 year old grandson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! At least everyone is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that's a lot of water! We have lots of family in Corpus and the surrounding area. They are VERY tired of all the rain. I think my sister got 8.5 in. in less than 2 days. She's in the Agua Dulce area. I'm in Arlington and we got 10 in. in one day from Hermine. We don't usually get that much from a tropical storm.

    Love the fall leaves on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This certainly is a watery post! We used to have a lot of problems when it rained heavily. You could tell if it was a bad rain when we would hear our sump pump going. We had old drainage pipes from our basement replaced. We have not heard the sump pump since. Actually we were that confident we unplugged it. Your post is so positive! Glad that the rain was not disasterous! great pictures.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anni. Thanks for dropping by my blog. So glad to see you didn't float away. Interestingly the last time I experienced water that high I was also in Texas...birding at Rollover Pass near Bolivar Flats. Take care. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoa! That's a LOT of water! Glad the rain finally stopped and (hopefully) didn't do too much damage! I love that your neighbors were 'enjoying the calm' as the waters were starting to recede! :)

    WW: Goofy Contortionist

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, now that is a lot of rain. I hope it did not go into your house. We are having a shortage of rain. I guess you are getting it all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, that's a lot of water! We had a shot but strong rain storm too today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How high's the water mama? Two feet high and rising.
    Sorry, I'm into the song mode and thought of the Johnny Cash song when I saw your photos and title.

    That is a lot of water! I know it probably did some damage but hopefully nothing too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my lord, look at all the water!!! Anni, you're not kidding when you say it was flooded over there! Wow! I think it would be so neat to take out my canoe on that. hehe I love it that you braved it and walked into the water to measure it! lol At first glance I thought the boat had floated there but then I saw it was on a trailer:-) I hope you "dry out" soon!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, my goodness, Anni...what a fright you had! Good thing the rain finally stopped. I do like the photo of you up to your knees in water...and the fellows going down the street in kayaks must have been amusing once the worst was over!

    I don't think any other WW entries will be quite as dramatic as your...:)

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope that the waters didn't do much damage to the neighborhood.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is alot of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! I'm so glad the water didn't make it into the houses...at least I hope everyone is high and dry! Thanks for sharing the progression of the rainfall. Let's hope you get no more hurricanes your way. Thanks for visiting my fountain! Stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those are scenes I am familiar with! Great photos Anni. Glad there was not any damage to your home.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow! alot of rain. in Ga. we have very little and the trees are dying. take care. rose

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh my gosh! keep your feet dry !

    ReplyDelete
  35. i would have panicked if i were there...

    ReplyDelete

.