“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Hook 'em Horns ! !




my six words: I ALWAYS ENJOY HISTORY WITH HUMOR!!

- - -<><><>- - -


my camera critters:

TEXAS LONGHORN

[not Bevo]
Photo taken on Texas ranch land south of Corpus Christi

The history of the breed of cattle is long. Beginning in 1493 with Columbus bringing cattle from Spain. Within 200 years, the late 1600's, the cattle were roaming wild in Old Mexico, part of what is now the state of Texas. Longhorns, groomed by Mother Nature, carried the ideal characteristics of resistance; they were adaptable for long drives...they could go incredible distances without water, rustle their own food, fend for themselves, swim rivers, survive the desert sun and winter snow. In the early 20th century, a close demise came for the Texas Longhorn. It took less than 40 years, fenced in land, plows and an overwhelming demand in the marketplace to drive the Longhorn closer to extinction than the buffalo. But, in the early 1930's two men formed their own herd in Texas. They've now become legendary in the state. The Longhorns are also a mascot for the infamous University of Texas [Austin and branch cities/campuses throughout the state]. The logo of the Longhorn's head/horns has been a nationally registered logo for decades. The live Longhorn shows up oftentimes at football games, etc. He's lovingly nicknamed BEVO...the first, and so on through the years. No other means of its use [the logo] can be adopted or applied anywhere by legal rights. Logo is protected by copyright and trademark, therefore a free use alternative won't exist.

As of 2006 - The Texas Longhorn steer with the widest horns (total horn measurement) was Gilbralter at 126 1/2" [that's over ten feet!]

Hook 'em Horns is the slogan and hand signal of The University of Texas at Austin. [the hand signal is your hand...with the pinkie finger and the index finger upright while the thumb is tucked in and the middle and ring finger is also tucked into the fist===two horns]

To view Longhorn Logo, click HERE

BEVO'S HISTORY




- - -<><><>- - -

my weekend funnies:


NOT TRUE...but funny none-the-less:

FW: Cattle Guards



Administration Follies (IDIOT'S)

AND THESE PEOPLE ARE RUNNING THE COUNTRY??

For those who have never traveled to the great West, cattle guards are horizontal steel rails placed at fence openings on highways to prevent cattle from crossing. For some reason the bovines will not step on the guards, probably because they fear getting their feet caught between the rails. We need to make that clear in order for everyone to appreciate the following story.

President 0b@m@ received a report that there were over 100,000 cattle guards in Colorado. Because Colorado ranchers protested his proposed changes in grazing policies; he ordered Secretary of Interior Ken S@l@z@r to fire half of the guards immediately.

Before S@l@z@r could respond, and presumably straighten him out, California's congresswoman N@ncy Pel☺si intervened with a request that before any were fired they be given six months of retraining.


cattle guard photo from Google images

25 comments :

  1. ROFLMAO!!! That is just too funny. Why can I see that wench requesting that LOL. Thanks for the info on the Texas Longhorn. I didn't know that about the logo. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing and have a great Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again!

    My 64U:

    Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

    LOLA:)

    ”80% of Success is Turning Up!”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni ~~ Thank you for the history lesson. I like those cows.
    But of course I would never do a "hook 'em" sign. I am a faithful University of Nebraska and University of Houston alumni.

    Happy 6WS! :)'
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Anni!!! Boy those are some ferious looking horns...we'll adimre them from afar.

    Yes, I, Madi, have decided to become a lobbyist for cats all over the world. There are numerous Cat's Bill of Rights. I will be sharing them on Saturdays.\

    Mom says to tell you she has her Thursday Theme song prepared for next week and you have created a monster.

    Happy Weekend,
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. GIG EM AGGIES!!! BTHO SFA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aggie from
    http://frugalfreegal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Free Gal Gotta Love your Aggie school spirit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's a set of horns!!! As a southern girl, I've always found it interesting that cows won't step on cattle guards :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, I have always loved Texas longhorns for some reason. I think they are magnificient animals. Thanks for the history on them.

    Hope you & Bud are doing well. I emailed you but haven't received a reply, so waiting on that before I send you more news on Mom

    Have a great day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely hilarious...now this is good (coming from a Midwesterner)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great-looking horns!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Long horns are very docile cattle (thank goodness). My neighbor has some, and he says they are so gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think you'd want to mess with that (or any other) longhorn!

    I laughed at the joke, but it wouldn't work over here (we have a lot of them here in Mid Wales) as we call them cattle grids rather than guards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great stories! I learned a lot about BEVO.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tsunami isn't a threat to us since the water would presumably go straight out (east) of the earthquake source if there was sufficient power. Thanks for your concern!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at those horns!!!! So big! Great entry!

    Mine is here : Beauty of Nature

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never seen live Longhorn cattle, only in western movies:-) I sure wouldn't want to mess with them kind of horns, holy cow!! Pardon the pun!! hehe The millionaire's farm turned museum I went to visit back in the Spring was known for their Shorthorn cattle so now I know the short and long of it...omg I'm on a roll! lol I know, it doesn't take much to amuse me. Sigh.

    I laughed at he cattle guard story...it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it WAS true! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like history with humor also! Ah heck, I like anything with humor! Makes life interesting...lol!

    Happy SWS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my they have nothing to do anymore with the boring today's Spanish cows, lol ! What horns !!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the owl it has the same eyes than my cat Rosie, lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Anni! I like my history with a bit of funny as well. It makes it a lot more interesting than boring dates or numbers.

    Thanks for playing 6WS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you are always so cheery, how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool Six Words..

    --Someone Is Special--

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL. I grew up in Montana, so I know about cattle guards. ^_^

    Hope you don't mind, but Tag! you're It!

    ReplyDelete

.