my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




...don't go for all the hype is what I say!!


Click button to join






- - -

MY TASTE REVIEW:

I will normally try anything new. At least once. Especially when it comes to 'foods' experimenting. Seeing this advertised once on TV recently, and being at the grocery store the other day, I decided to toss a bag of it in the cart and do a taste test. Now, granted, I do LOVE the Twizzlers Strawberry red licorice ropes. And I can 'stomach' the black licorice made by the same company. They once came out with chocolate flavored licorice and it didn't go over well. In fact, I haven't seen it on the stores' shelves in ages. Anyway, the candy manufacturer came out with their newest 'brilliant' concoction...rainbow Twizzlers. With watermelon, lemon, orange, grape, blue raspberry and the red strawberry. I bite into the blue raspberry...."GAG"...it tasted like soap. No really, there is a residue taste that is so close to a detergent odor and even the taste, and it lingers. One bite, and no go for me!! So I move to the lemon flavored...there is a hint of lemon...but again, a soapy taste...NASTY!! The orange was a lot like the old fashioned candies from my youth, the orange slices. So far that was the closest to the advertised flavor. The green...the watermelon I guess...tasted more like apple to me. The strawberry being their original red licorice twists...wasn't even close. I tellya, they were all just downright soapy-nasty!! At least that's my opinion. And to top it off there was no sturdiness to them...when I finally got them pulled from the bag [they were all literally stuck inside to the cellophane packaging], the ropes were so floppy...not the consistency I'd expect. It was like trying to catch a tossed kernel of popcorn into you mouth...I was 'chasing' the licorice stick all over the air before finally landing into my mouth for a bite, 'cause they were like a wet rag!! CONCLUSION: I'll stick with the original and not buy the new crap licorice flavors again.

28 comments :

  1. LOL, but my favorite is that black licorice....not far from where I live (Lincoln) there is a gourmet licorice shop w/ licorices from all over the world...most are really good, but there are a few really bad ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review - I'll leave them on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look really pretty though..shame!
    lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up!! We like the strawberry or cherry and take them with us on road trips...I think Jack is addicted but don't tell him I said that - heh, heh! I really do appreciate candid reviews of stuff so keep 'em comin'! I'm planning to do a bit of that, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never ever believe the HYPE, chick! Lessons learned from being of this earth for 70 years...
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, another illusion busted. I wanted to try them too. Now no way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby and I both love licorice. We fell for the NEW rainbow variety—once! We came to the same conclusion as you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you tried them out before I was tempted Anni! :0)
    I stick to the original red vines...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder sometimes why manufacturers have to take a good thing and then ruin it. My guess is that it is done in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

    Thanks for braving the taste test with soap. :)

    PG

    ReplyDelete
  10. ROFLMAO. You are a better person than I am. I would never try that crap. And after reading this I know why. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo That sounds disgusting! Thanks for the heads up!

    Hugs XX
    Barbara
    Moore Whimsies

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alas, I never developed a fondness to the original and true black licorice (although do like the red...). I would probably try all the colors except the black - maybe with the same review. Although I like licorice best in Ouzo or Anisette...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like any of them.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't heard of or see these, and I don't think I'll be looking! I detest licorice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sometimes change isn't any good? I'd stick with red ones

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Anni, the licorice in this pack looks kind of waxy to me. I love black licorice and remember eating it as a child.I used to love the long ropes of it..I wish I could find some good black licorice...

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so colorful! I would have grab a packet just to photographed them. lol I don't think I can find them here, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Twizzlers too but they don't make them in SA but I remember them from Scotland days. The orange ones are my favourite.

    Love the new banner!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree, yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must admit, I'm not a huge Twizzler fan, and for the very reason you mentioned...kinda soapy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It all taste like wax to me,LOL. Hubby loves the ruby twizzlers. As for me no thanks.
    Have a great ruby day.
    My Ruby Link is here for you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Same here I don't like the licorice flavor. I still do love the original. Happy Tuesday!
    Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you were trying to push a rope!
    I don't even like the original..Great RT though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look so nice on your picture ! I usually also try everything, only sweets is not so my thing. I like cakes cookies and ice cream but nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How very sad because I LOVE Twizzlers! Guess I'll just have to stick with the old red ones, no taste adventure for me. I have signed on as a Follower so now I can keep up with your other ventures. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those look delicious. Perfect for Ruby Tuesday.
    http://reesspace.blogspot.com/2010/08/ruby-tuesday-this-water-bottle-rocks.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am not into lollies and sweets. I still have a licorice stick. I bought two sticks at a fix price, and didn't want to give both to my fuzzy. I will take a photo and cyber post it to you.

    ReplyDelete

.