“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





it's a jungle out there....well, a jungle book author to be sure---

I'll take you heading NORTHwest for 100, Alex----



I figured this little booger would be the first of the Gulf Season. And yes, Alex may be heading our way. The white area shows the probable predicted path he'll take. But, hopefully by Tuesday of next week, he'll make a turn west instead of north as this graph indicated. He's gonna take some watching....hopefully, it'll remain a category 1 if he turns into a hurricane....right now he's a tropical storm, but with wind sheer high enough to be named. Looks like Brownsville and Corpus Christi will perhaps be a target for now...just bears watching. ---- My 6 word Saturday and Camera Critters is just below---SCROLL DOWN.












My six words....

TRUTH ISN'T ALWAYS WHAT YOU SEE!

The reason I chose these six words is for the fact I read one of Rudyard Kipling's short stories last night. You see, while Bud and I were out walking, I said to him, what we need is a rickshaw and runner to get us back to the car where we would have the open air and a bit of breeze on us created by the rickshaw gentle movement along the street...it was so humid to walk. Anyway, that, in turn, got Bud'a talkin'!! About Junior High School believe it or not...many moons ago for the both of us. It's funny how a certain word or subject stirs up a memory. Well, to continue with my thought...in Jr. High Bud told me they had to read Kipling's story. The short story is entitled "The Phantom Rickshaw". I wanted to read it...all the books by him that I have didn't have this in it. We drove to the used book store in town, and I searched the hardback books...nothing. In desperation, I went over to the fiction paperbacks. Now, I'd prefer hardback books only 'cause the print is so small in the teeny tiny paperback books. Lo and behold I found one....Got it home and read it last night. Thing is, during reading it in its entirety before shutting the light off for some sleep...I kept noticing that Kipling continued throughout the story having the word rickshaw with an apostrophe in front of the 'r'.....'rickshaw. I always assumed that the word itself was actually a word. But, in doing some research this morning...the word is derived from the Orient, contaminated by the English language. It's actually JINRIKISHA....a Japanese word for the same as what we Americans would say it was. So, goes to show you, sometimes, what we see [and speak] is not always true!!! By the way, the story is pretty good. Less than an hour's read. Typical Kipling's work. Oh, and on another thought, my favorite Kipling work is Riki Tiki Tavi. Love that story!!!!




- - -<><><>- - -

CAMERA CRITTERS


GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken near
Bob Hall Pier
atop a sand dune
North Padre Island
June 20th, 2010
I call him 'The Sentinel'












UPDATE: 4PM...Sorry, been watching World Cup most of the day, now the Astros are playing and watching them get 'slaughtered'. LOL Anyway, according to the National Hurricane Center, the latest emailed to me is that TS Alex is going to make a direct westerly turn once off the Yucatan...into the Mexican borders heading to Mexico City.













POSTED: Saturday, June 26th, 2010
12:40 A.M.

28 comments :

  1. Well thank you for the lesson my friend. I would have never known that. Can you imagine having to pull the JINRIKISHA in all that humidity and hot weather? i'd be dead in minutes LOL. Great photo of the heron my friend. Have a wonderful Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the Just So Stories that are my favourites. Which more glorious words could you find to read aloud, than the "great grey-green, greasy Limpopo river"?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool photo so regal always sandy
    stay dry//

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice great blue heron...I wonder what their eggs look like?

    I hope Alex doesn't create any problems for you there on the Gulf.

    I'll have to add some of Kipling's tales to my list of things to accomplish...I don't think I have enough years left to ever finish it all.


    At 65, I've done it! My poetry book - Life's Journey by Carmen Henesy - is out on Amazon!
    ( Poems about the things that have been important to me in my journey through life, some humorous, some sad, some that may have meaning to you as well )
    http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Journey-1-Carmen-Henesy/dp/1451547366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274652997&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Anni! And I love your Great Blue heron!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, golly, Anni. We sure don't need a hurricane. I haven't had much time for the news lately so looks like I better check this out.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek
    (South Texas - near McAllen)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your six words and so very true. Beautiful picture too.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shot - love the GBH! Hope you don't get the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kipling always said it the way it is. I bet he would love 6WS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great capture, it looks so majestic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post makes me want to bust out some Kipling. Interesting about 'rickshaw. Thanks for playing 6WS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stay safe Anni. I hope Alex dissipates fast. Great shot of the heron. Riki Tiki Tavi was one of my favorites also. There are so many English words that have their roots in other countries. For instance, I lived in a 'bungalow' for many years when I lived in the UK, and only found out in the last few years that it was actually from an Indian word, and was only one of many other words that we have adopted.

    If you have time to stop by, my Camera Critter post is right here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that the storm bypasses you. Very true 6WS statement! Thanks for sharing about Kipling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my computer is now working. saw yor post loved the photo. have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we are all watching this. Hopefully it will not build to a full hurricane. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. G'eve Anni ~ I hope that the hurricane takes a turn, I truly do.

    Great short story ... & the bird is gorgeous!

    Have a lovely summer's eve ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope the hurricane does miss you. I'm sorry for Mexico though.
    Good shot of the heron against the sky.

    (Carletta's Captures)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello there Sorority Sister! Just checking in to say Hi! I do pray that Alex stays well South of the Gulf.

    Hugs XX
    Barbara
    Moore Whimsies

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are soo flippin fun!! Great Lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. He looks as if he's on guard duty. Good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely stories you've shared, your photo is always beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful shot! I'm adding your blog to my blogroll and will visit often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I learned something new from you once again...about the word "rickshaw"! My favourite Kipling work has always been Jungle Book:-)

    Great picture of the Blue Heron!! I'd love to go on your walks with you, you see such wonderful scenes of nature.

    I haven't been watching any of the World Cup, have never been into that. Maybe that's a good thing since I've hardly been home the last few days, I'd be missing most of the games! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the photos!!!

    If you have a minute, stop over to my blog and pick up the award there. You're one of the special people I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete

.