“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






I saw Three Ships come sailing into the HAR-R-BOR...

PART III OF Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History




Click either button to Join





Bow and Stern of the Renovation project of Columbus' Ship [Spanish Reproduction] --The Piñta

Oil Reproduction of LaSalle's Voyage ---"The Spanish had closed the Gulf of Mexico to all ships that were not from Spain. Spain’s resources were going to wars in Europe, and Coronado`s lands were left undefended and unsettled . A French explorer, Robert Rene Cavalier, Sieur de LaSalle, would change Spain`s complacency."


The Niña,
The Piñta,
and The Santa Maria [Stern]
The ships are reproductions built by Spain to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' voyages to the New World. They took five years to build and cost $6.5 million. The three ships embarked on a tour of the Mediterranean and Atlantic ports of Europe in 1990 and 1991. After a successful tour of 18 United States ports, they arrived at their permanent home in Corpus Christi in 1993. The Piñta and Santa Maria are located at the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History. There are no guided tours of the Niña, moored at the Corpus Christi Marina, but can be viewed from the dock.



1] Looking upward, the Piñta's mast. 2] Looking downward from the deck, the Piñta's hull. 3] The Piñta's Navigational instruments.


- - -

And for fun...meet the newest Queen of Spain and King!!
I present to my court of followers...
King Bud-dernand and Queen Anni-bella




- - -

Then, I'll take you on a little side trip. To the city's Marina where Columbus' ship replica of The Niña is permanently docked. The three ships WERE all seaworthy at one time. Corpus Christi won the rights to have them here, permanently, as I mentioned above. With the depleted economy of the country [states, county and city-wide also], the funds for repair work are badly needed!!



THE NIÑA







PART ONE --Introduction of museum was Yesterday. To view CLICK HERE
PART TWO --Everything pinks, and ruby reds! To view CLICK HERE

Tomorrow --Thirteen gems/minerals on display. Including one collasal amythest geode!



POSTED: Wednesday, May 26th, 2010
12:30 A.M.

35 comments :

  1. OMG There isn't a better looking king and queen any where in all the land. I love this about those old ships. They are fascinating. What great photos my friend. :). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting and beautiful ship reproductions!! I saw one reproduction in Northern Spain, loved going on board for inspection :)

    Her Majesty looks wonderful today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw those ships! The Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria came to South Haven some time ago - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love wonderful as the new queen with your handsome king. Great shots of the ships. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy can't type this morning, should say You look wonderful and the new queen;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post for WW! Fun and great pictures!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that handsome king and the beautiful Queen Anibella.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a very fun day. There are many things to enjoy in your city.

    I'm anxious to hear your take on the finale. I was a bit confused at times! What a cliff hanger, eh??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice ships. The King and Queen were very regal. I get more fun out of seeing what header you are going to create each week for your blog. I don't know how you do it. Have a great day. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hienoja, kauniita kuvia, varsinkin nuo 3 viimeistä. Historiaa ja patinaa..elettyä aikaa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful replica's. I love those last two shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But she doesn't have red hair!! Do you think we'll ever know who the red-headed lady is that he'?!s always driving off with?? Good writing, for sure. I can't believe how much weight McGee last lost!

    Have a great day - it's cloudy and drizzly here today. I was hoping for a "reading on the patio" kind of day. Guess God's trying to tell me I need to clean cupboards instead?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Queen's outfit.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unique and beautiful as always, Anni.
    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the King and Queen. Enjoyed your 3 part post. Thanks for sharing.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look great as a queen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my word!! THAT much money to make REPRODUCTIONS of ships!! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised!.. LOVE the King and Queen picture!!.. And I see you're counting down the AIW DVD release! Oh, my fellow Johnny Depp fan, I should have known you would have the latest info on THAT vital piece of information!! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, you got great photos of ship here.. but what capture my heart are the photos of King and Queen of Spain..YOu are wonderful and you made me smile with this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome shots Anni!!!

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/05/wordless_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are beautiful photo that you have taken.
    I really like the new king and queen, what fun I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a nice & interesting post! Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anni - The NIÑA is a enormous thing of beauty! Looks like you both had a fun time posing as King and Queen!

    P.S. Your occupation made me LOL!
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's cool. I didn't know they had that in Corpus.

    Stopping by from Seven Clown Circus.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful Qeeen and King :-)
    Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post Anni and I loved the two of you in your regal gear, lol. We used to have a reproduction of the Golden Hind in a town called Brixham, which wasn't too far away from where I lived back in the UK. I remember being very surprised at how much smaller they were than I had thought, and how brave those first explorers must have been to sail such vast oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are lovely pictures and great shots. Well-organized blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love all your shots! And you two make a very handsome King and Queen! ;)

    WW:  Princess Nagger Goes to the Zoo

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's in Corpus, no? Like right at the end of the dock downtown.... straight out from Selena, which reminds me of a funny story...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos!
    And thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're right, Annie, this is great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's great to meet the newest King Bur-dernand and Queen Anni-bella.
    Looks like you had a great time. Great shots of the ship and thank you for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on becoming the new King and Queen of Spain. The reproduction ships look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

.