MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Days of Yore....MONOCHROME

WORD ASSOCIATION CHALLENGE from Alice Audrey today:



Here are the rules:

1. Anyone can play, whether they have been tagged or not.
2. Include the rules and logo in your post.
3. Copy out all the responses that were made before you.
4. Link to each of the people who responded before you.
5. Put in your response. Your response can be as little as a single word or as much as 100 words. It can be a word, a phrase, an image, a song, a video, a story, or a short rant.
6. Tag anyone you would like to challenge to play this game.
7. You can do this any time you run across it, even if you were one of the previous responders.

Alice at http://www.AliceAudrey.com/?p=4313 said: Excitement

Alice said: I challenge Hootin’ Anni, .....

- - -
My association for excitement would be: Thrill!

Now, if I understand correctly, I pass on the challange and whomever responds uses Excitement, then Thrill! and associate the word 'thrill' with theirs. I hope so.

Anyway, I challenge
Mari


The link above "Alice Audrey" takes you to today's challenge and rules.

- - -<><><>- - -






Have you ever been near the generation so young
They showed no interest in the past or learning?
Did you ever explore the times together in their silence...
With no interest of how they came to be; no yearning?

Hand in hand I take my grandson at my side
We climb high into the forest of trees
The speckled golden glow of sun's rays lighten the hill.
The fallen needles of pine soften our step.
I stop, building a fire to warm us from the late winter's chill.
A fallen log becomes my chair, the amber fireglow dancing on my knees...
With so much disdain and boredom, he hunkers down close-by.
I begin to tell him our story, of those before us; their courage and pride.

Regaling more of his ancestors that labored hard and long hours
How they fought off famine, how they survived flood waters, cold hard winters; blizzards so cold the walls iced...
How their crops were ruined by fires, infestations;
How their farm animals perished by freezing temperatures---
All to come through, through with will that empowers!

As far back I went in my story, to the days they crossed the ocean
Finding 'the promised land', where they toiled and worked
Only to eke a small living in a cabin by their strength of notion.
Days away from any town. No CDs, no DVDs, no video arcades.
No tv, no radio, no books, no nothing. Only imagination for game...
And pride. Pride of being alive and well,
Striving to exist and become strong for the children
who will carry our name.

When I had ended my tale of yore,
his eyes lighted up, and he hustled about.
We covered the fire with loose dirt and waited;
soon all the hot embers died out.
We walked back, hand in hand once again...
The crisp winter day was coming to an end.
As we climbed into the car to return back to town,
My grandson said:
"Grandma? Will we get home in time?"
His rosy cheeks glowed, but concern showed a frown---
"In time for what my dear?" I inquire within...
"My favorite show on TV is at five."
I sigh, silent for just a moment as I wondered if any of my tale sunk in ---
"I'll get you home dear one, in plenty of time...
from here, it's just a few minute's drive."


- - -

NOTE: I listed these photos of me drawing on the Monochrome Meme...I took the photos...they ARE photos...worked on them to make them black and white. Apparently they're not good enough to be part of the meme as they are art instead of whatever's expected. So, I asked to be taken off the list immediately. They ARE photos of me drawing...what else could one ask? The meme's owner said to me: 'LET THE CAMERA DO THE PENCIL WORK' I guess it's a personal problem and their loss. LOL





While sitting at my desk and sketching this Native American Woman with her husband's shield at her foot, I was thinking how the legends of family were always told by fire light around the Indian camps and the legends were carried on from generation to generations. How, when I was a youngster, I listened with great interest of my grandfather's saga of traveling in a covered wagon to the state of Nebraska - from the tales he shared of HIS ancestors coming across the Atlantic from Ireland to settle in New York, eking a living away from the religious turmoils of the homeland.... ....wondering where the disinterest came into play with kids today---







POSTED: Monday, March 15th, 2010
12:05 A.M.


BEWARE OF THE IDES OF MARCH The Ides of March (Latin: Idus Martias) is the name of March 15 in the Roman calendar. The term ides was used for the 15th day of the months of March, May, July, and October.[1] The Ides of March was a festive day dedicated to the god Mars and a military parade was usually held. In modern times, the term Ides of March is best known as the date that Julius Caesar was killed in 709 AUC or 44 B.C.

According to Plutarch, Caesar was warned by a seer to be on his guard against a great peril on the Ides of March. On his way to the Theatre of Pompey (where he would be assassinated) Caesar saw the seer and joked "Well, the Ides of March have come," to which the seer replied "Ay, they have come, but they are not gone."[2] This meeting is famously dramatized in William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, when Caesar is warned to "beware the Ides of March."

24 comments :

  1. sad how with kids these days, if its not on a screen, it seems to lack importance or validity... but we can always try and do it anyway. storytelling is becoming a lost art.

    and its the ides today isn't it... okay. i'll beware...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sketches!thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little sketch Anni, you're a good artist. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni,

    This is an awesome post. I enjoyed your story...a story of generations gone before and your sketches which are absolutely gorgeous.

    I can't imagine anyone not wanting to include these. Like you say, their loss.

    Have a wonderful day.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Guess it's not a 'composed photo' she expected. I don't know, I don't really care, and the meme owner took my name off already as I wished. If they're gonna be a stickler about it all, then the meme is NO FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poetry, beautiful art.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your monchrome and your creative take on it. His loss I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Sweet Annie...
    I love the story about the boy and his grandmother. She opens her heart hoping to pierce his with history, and when all was finished, he only wanted to be home in time for a show on TV. Imagine that? I too wonder what is happening to our future generations.

    My grandkids love for me to share my old family stories with them. I don't know if they like the way I tell stories, or they really love to hear about my families' past. It doesn't really matter, as it is the time I spend with them together that counts the most.

    Well that Monochrome Meme has really lost it all when they deny your drawings as black and white. It shouldn't matter what they are pictures of. Art? Monochrome? What is their problem I wonder?
    I love this drawing Annie. What an awesome job you have done. I only wish I could draw an inkling to the beauty that you create and share. Love it.

    Have a beautiful Monday my sweet friend. Country hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Up for a challenge? I have something I think you might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How talented you are! Welcome to the Monochrome bunch. I don't do it regularly because to be honest I forget about it most of the time! I would love to be able to draw. Alas photography fills that a creative passion!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  11. Top O' the mornin to you Anni. I enjoyed both stories: your lovely words and the photos of your drawing in progress. Thanks for dropping by to visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni I love your story and the way it ended made me laugh. I'm sure your grandchild enjoyed your story and long after memories of the TV shows fade will remember being told stories by Grandmother. I also like your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post. You are a very talented artist. I can imagine the stories that you heard. I guess I'll have read the meme's rules more carefully to hopefully get an idea why that was said to you.

    Imho, the disinterest in today's kids came from video games,internet,cell phones,etc and having parents that grew up on much of the same. Also from living in a society where traditions and history hold less significance everyday.

    I hope that you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, except you don't need to include all the people I challenged, and you link like an award.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh, I see. *I* goofed. Fixed now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I kinda figured that....you beat me back here before I got 'em taken off. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hahahaha, love your answers Anni, you always make me giggle. Hope you're having a grand week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely sketch :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier and for those lovely words. Really appreciate your feedback.

    Have a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greeting! Ok..I'm moderating from my blackberry (might seem funny) but this new technology has allowed me to get up in the wee hours and read most of the stuff - always wanted to but couldn't on the main computer.. But hey...I'm not really a spring chick (lol) - enjoyed your post..read everything..loved your deep and engaging reflections of your Grandson -fabulous!! When my boys were little -Id read to them (those times I cherish) but sadly (part of that time)
    I tried to pour too much in? I guess I didn't understand..I was younger too.(Please..I'm only thinking back about myself) There were no high tech gadgets (like you mention ..and I like my parents didn't let them spend hours in front of the tv.
    Alright..I've gone on too long I suppose..thanks for sharing your valuable thoughts- just wanted to respond..have a great day. Regina

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so agree with you on many of your answers.
    I really liked #10,19 & 20.
    Thanks for sharing your honesty.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok, I'm in for the challenge. It's a tough one though!
    I love the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. GORGEOUS...Nice sketch--what a great idea to incorporate your photo challenges for it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for visiting my blog! I love your monochrome photos and your artwork. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is an awesome drawing, very detailed. You are a very good artist!! My hubby is native american and still remembers the stories his Grandfather told him.
    Thank you for visiting my blog, hope you come back for another visit soon.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

    ReplyDelete

.