my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Hi-ho the derri-o, the toffee I'll eat.......

aka---"...and a Christmas Meme in a Pear Tree...."





I've visited so many many blogs with holiday themes this past month and quite a few have some fantastic candy recipes and wonderful looking, yummy, delicious photos of their finished sweets!! I tellya, afterward I was so inspired. I just couldn't sit idly by and allow my Bloggin' Buddies to outdo me in the candy department. Did I just say that? Well, I think they've already got a huge head start, and I will quit while they're ahead. Besides, with just two of us, it's a bit bad on the old tooth enamel and the bathroom scales if I make more than I did. Of course, without a doubt, I will make Rice Krispie Treat Squares for us....did I just say that too? It's more like I will make the squares for me. LOL Bud'll eat one or two, and the rest is mine. MINE I tellya!! And later, closer to Christmas Day, I'll make a small batch of cookies. Okay, so the inspiration was the chocolates that Pea and Mary have so beautifully made, Mary as recently as this past weekend. Which inspired me to make these:









Pecan Chocolate English Toffee Bark
And, it's ever so easy...
Not to mention Scrumptious!!


















I'd like to say it's my own recipe, but I can't.
In fact I found this on the 'net a few years back.
It's so very simple. One of the easiest I've ever found. And in less that 2 hours, you have a couple of containers filled with the sweet, chocolatey, buttery toffee.


Equal amounts of sugar and butter.
[My version I used 1 cup of butter to 1 cup granulated, white sugar]
dash of salt...[this can be eliminated if desired]
An 11 oz bag of Milk Chocolate Chocolate Chips
And finely crushed pecans [slivered almonds can be substituted]
I tbsp. vegetable oil [the original recipe doesn't have this, but since I've found this and love the results and taste of the toffee, I've been adding a small amount of oil to make the chocolate spread much smoother and easier to spread over the hot toffee]


COOKIE SHEET THAT IS COVERED WITH WAXED PAPER...you can spray this with nonstick cooking spray [I do, but not necessary]


That's it!!

Mix sugar and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly. When the mixture begins to boil...continue stirring until the sugar/butter mix turns a golden to medium amber color. Pour the hot bubbly mixture onto the cookie sheet, spreading if necessary. My kitchen is quite sufficiently set up where I can continue stirring the mixture over the stove top and microwave the chocolate chips just to my left hand....heating times will vary...1 to 2 minutes at high...add the tbsp of oil when the chips have softened. and stir 'til smooth and creamy. Pour evenly, the melted chocolate pieces, over the cooling toffee. Sprinkle the Pecans on top of chocolate. Press pecans into chocolate. Refrigerate about 1 hour. Take out, break into bite-sized pieces. COVER IN AIR TIGHT CONTAINER. Refrigerate.


My portion sized recipe above will make about a pound of candy.

RECIPE







- - -<><><>- - -


I had planned on doing this for my Monday Morsels post yesterday, but I'd forgotten the Blogland's Home Tour and knew it would be a long post. So, I saved the All about Christmas Meme for today as an extension of Ruby Tuesday, thinking, that maybe some visitors may want to 'join in'. I found this at Mama Bear's blog last Thursday and loved her answers and felt compelled to do it for myself. You can go to the link I provided [it'll open in a new window] and copy the list if you'd like...



About the TREE....
1. When do you put up the Christmas tree?
    It's always been the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

2. Real or fake?
    It's been an artificial tree for years!

3. Lights? What color?
    For about a decade now the lights have been miniature ones with Santa-faces- 'covering the lightbulbs'

4. Garland?
    No, but I have before

5. Theme or no theme?
    Santas and "family" ornaments telling the story of our lives.

6. What kind of topper?
    Animated Santa

7. What's your favorite ornament?
    I don't have a favorite.

8. What does your tree skirt look like?
    Green felt with red trim and gold braid...with a quilted Santa on top of the green.

9. Where do you put your tree?
    Always in the living room. This year it's by the front window.

10. Who decorates the tree?
    Now, it's me...used to have our kids helping years ago.

11. What's "under" the tree?
    The tree skirt, packages, a huge ceramic Santa by the chimney.

12 Do you put candy canes on your tree?
    No


About the FOODS....
1. What's your favorite Christmas cookie?
    Mexican Wedding Cakes [almond cookie dough with pecan pieces...baked...covered with confectioner's sugar].




2. Do you bake cookies and give them away?
    I have, but not recently.

3. Any "special" foods or candy that you only have at Christmas time?
    Popcorn balls, Rice Krispie Treats, Sugar Cookies...all homemade.

4. What do you eat Christmas EVE?
    Whatever I feel like cooking.

5. What do you eat on Christmas day?
    With just the two of us, nothing special like it used to be.

6. Do you like Eggnog??
    Love it!!!!!

7. Do you like candy canes?
    They're okay, but not crazy 'bout 'em.


About the DECORATIONS...
1. Where do you hang your stockings?
    We have four furry ones...One big one for Bud, one medium for me...one each for our furbabies.

2. Do you put lights on your house?
    Only once here in Texas.

3. Got any outside lawn decorations?
    Have 'em, but put them in OUR backyard...for reason both for this ? and #2...they get stolen!!

4. Do you put up a nativity (creche)?
    I have several, but I don't put them out these days.

5. Do you hang mistletoe over the door?
    No

6. Got a wreath on your front door?
    Actually, it's to the side of the door, on the brick, encircling our house light.

7. How long does it take you to decorate?
    Entirely? About four days.


About the MOVIES/SHOWS...
1 .Favorite Children's Xmas TV show/cartoon?
    The Drummer Boy narrated by Greer Garson.

2. Favorite Christmas movie?
    It has become an all time favorite...POLAR EXPRESS!!

4. Have you ever seen the Nutcracker Suite Ballet live?
    Once

5. Ever been to the Radio City Music Hall Christmas show?
    No

6. Ever gone to the movies on Xmas Day?
    Yes


OTHER Christmas things...
1. Favorite Christmas book or story?
    The Christmas Carol -Dickens

2. Do you stuff your stockings with any types of food?
    Don't stuff 'em with anything these days except for our cats...they get a toy.

3. Do you go to church on Christmas or Christmas Eve?
    Haven't for a long time...it's usually during the week...in December --all December with the special choirs.

4. Have you ever gone Caroling?
    When younger, and single.

5. Favorite Christmas Carol?
    Oh Holy Night and I'll be Home for Christmas and Christmas Eve in Sarajevo --in THAT order!

6. Do you believe in Santa?
    I BELIEVE with all my heart!

7. Do you leave Santa cookies?
    No

8. What about Rudolph...
    What about Rudolph?

9. What was your best Christmas gift?
    Materialistic? Heart shaped diamond and ruby necklace. Heartfelt? Having Irene and Erik home one year...she had moved to Florida & didn't work out, she came home...Erik was on Holiday Leave from USMC Okinawa!!

10. What was the worst/most odd gift?
    I've never had an 'odd' or worst...I like 'em all.

11. Do you go to a "work" Christmas party?
    Retired ---used to go tho.

12. Do you hate going?
    To some, yes...others, they were downright fun.

13. Do you send Christmas cards?
    I have, this year...I'm not gonna send many.

14. Do you make a "list"?
    List of what?

15. Do you check it twice? & thrice & etc.
    It depends on what list...there's shopping, groceries, 'to do lists', baking.

16.When do you start shopping?
    All Year Long

17.Do you shop on Black Friday?
    Once...never EVER again.

20. ARE YOU READY FOR CHRISTMAS?
    Yep...always ready for the big guy in red!!!












Christmas gift suggestions: "To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect."
~ Oren Arnold






POSTED: Tuesday, December 15th, 2009
4:15 A.M.

33 comments :

  1. ooooo, thank you for the recipe. i may just give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello anni...thanks so much for your visit.
    these goodies you have here look way too good for six in the morning.
    just give me a few hours.
    this particular recipe for that pecan candy looks so tempting for me to try.
    i am a bad hand at baking.
    but the reason that i would like to try this one is because it is the time of year that each of us ladies at the church bake three dozen cookies, or fudge. we make christmas plates for the sunday school kids mothers.
    now i had just taken my sister grace's offer of help to do my three dozen, but this here would fit quite nicely on those fancy plates!
    i will let you know if i do this or not anni.
    and then i will surely thank you!....happy ruby tuesday...love terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dessert..


    Please check out For the love of Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bark does look scrumptious, as do your cookies! Sugary treats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was some Christmas post.
    Interesting and educating for a Norwegian.
    By the way, your children Erik and Irene, they have Scandinavian names, don't they?
    My brother's name is Knut Erik, and I have Irene friends as well?
    From Felisol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would Christmas be
    without sweets to much and crunch?
    No festivity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an outstanding blog... original. Takes talent to create one like this!
    AND, you like Robert Frost too, AND Welcome to my World... Jim Reeves? oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Housekeeping Magazine ran that recipe for English Toffee in their Christmas issue ... somewhere around '91 or '92 I think! I made it that year and have made it many times since! It IS yummy! WAAAAAAAY yummy! One of the few candies that I will eat until it's all gone! Which is why I don't make it too much anymore! I only have one kid who eats candy anymore -- and even Luz doesn't choose candy very often... so noooooooo... I won't be making it again this year! I do make it during years that I'm making cookies and candy to give away. Actually... I could make some for the Church supper and caroling next Wednesday... hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the Pecan Chocolate English Toffee Bark looks delicious and so do the Mexican Wedding Cakes. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah this is easy to make not to mention I have all the ingredients already ^_^. Just by looking at it makes me drool already hahaha. Thanks for dropping by I do appreciate it.

    My Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni, Oh, that toffee looks divine. I must make some for the boys. They love toffee and so do I but my toffee days are pretty much over. Also love Rice Krispie Treats. Mmm! All of your baking sounds delicious.

    Enjoyed reading all about your Christmas traditions. Mine have changed a bit over the years while some remain the same.

    Enjoy a wonderful day, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow wish i could really taste that ;) sounds really yummy :)

    thanks for checking mine Anni! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, This post made my day. It's absolutely delightful. I love all your Santas and other collectables. Those cardinal glasses are super and I absolutely HAVE to try that toffee for the boys...maybe not at Christmas but Valentine's Day. It looks delicious.

    Enjoyed the Christmas meme and learning more about you and the slide show was beautiful.

    Take care, my friend and have a super day. The roofers were to be here by now but either are late or not showing today. Will let you know later.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look yummy! =P~ Can I have some? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Mom used to make toffee every year. Your's looks just like hers. I think I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni, thanks for sharing all your Christmas decorations (on your blog), your recipes (yum! We call those white cookies Italian Wedding cookies, ha! ), Josh Groban singing... Lovely! Happy Ruby Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved your Christmas gift suggestions, Anni. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very festive post. :) Now I want to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, the bark looks sooooo good. Just looking at it gives me a tooth ache. Now that is a pain I would gladly suffer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now you've gone and made me get the munchies. Gee thanks! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your toffee bars look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ThatCandy must be delicious !!! There was so much text that I think I must come back some day and red it later. And Merry Christmas to you ! if I don't have time with computer now, because thereis stills o much to do before Christmas and I'm working too noe 4 days and then 23. and 24. mornings :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your recipe looks easy and delicious! I went over some of your questions. Yes, I love Eggnog. And after this year I am going to start making a list. I keep finding out I forgot somebody and have to go out shopping again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. those 2 little Santas appear to be eyeing the candy, I'd watch them if I were you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks yummy!Thanks for including the recipe. :)Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks so yummy. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I love to try it.

    thanks for the visit

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't remember to have eaten these pecan chocolate, it looks very yummy !
    Since we don't celebrate Christmas anymore at home, we have an artificial tree, (also because of the cats !) since we celebrated often in London I took the English use of Christmas stockings over and do it too now !

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoy reading xmas recipes and imagining the great taste, mmmm, it's calorie free!

    Lovely xmas post. I enjoyed reading your answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks delicious. I don't dare make it, I'd scarf it all down myself!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The chocolate bark sounds and looks yummy. I haven't made any candy yet. I'm hoping Daughter makes the fudge so I don't have to.
    I loved your answers to the questions on the survey.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whew! And where do you get all your energy?

    I hope to make cookies this week coming up. ;-)

    Happy belated Ruby Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

.