“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes







Click either button to Join



THURSDAY THUNKS....




1. Mad Cow disease, Bird Flu, Swine Flu...what barnyard animal will cause the next big outbreak of disease? Oh boy....I haven't a clue. Well, how 'bout Goatesque Gastrointestinal Disease [The Federal Food and Drug Admin would call it GGD]. You may ask, is that contagious? YES!!! And I ask then...have you had your Goat shot yet? [lol...just a pun on words of course, don't want any PETA dudes banging down my door]

2. Sesame Street turns 40 this month. If you were to be on Sesame Street, which character would you want to be in a scene with? Kermit. It's not easy being green y'know. Danged if I know just where that came from...off my head....I love green...Greenbacks. And Kermit has a green back! Oh....move to the next question please.

3. We are out shopping for a new laptop. Which one do you pick and why? Depends on who's buying. Are you buying or being?

4. Have you ever dried a flower in a book (pressing)? If so what was the flower and the name of the book? I have two only. A yellow mum...from homecoming. And it's in my school's year book. And the other one is a single red rose...from Bud before we were married! It's pressed in our honeymoon book.

5. Do you think it's important to study other planets? If so, why or why not? Oh yes indeed. Learning about OUR solar system and those beyond just fascinates the heck outta me. Why? Dunno why.

6. Have you ever walked out of a movie at the theater? What was the movie, how much was the ticket and why did you walk out? Yes...The Verdict. Every other word was the "F" word. I go to movies to be entertained, not hear that. And I demanded my money back. I can't remember what the cost was, that was years ago.

7. Does the city/town you live in have traffic enforcement cameras? Have you ever gotten a citation/ticket/fine from one? If so, did you pay or fight it? They're now en vogue here. Are you kidding me? I wouldn't use the intersections that have 'em. LOL....I'd drive clear 'round about to avoid 'em. Long, long ago, I had my license revoked for a summer 'cause of speeding tickets. I've learned to stay away from trouble.

8. If your neighbor is having a baby would you buy a baby gift for them? Of course. Babies are our future. Besides, I'd want to see how they decorated their house and what's in their med's cabinet; when I take the gift over to them.

9. How many questions are too many questions? If it's coming from a little kid....never too many questions. If it's from a lawyer...most likely I'd take the 5th on their questions. If it's on an exam, I loathe too many questions. If it's here on any given meme...maybe anything over 15 or 20 tops.

10. Do you have a handwritten journal you write in everyday? Nope...just my blog. That takes a lot of time also. There is a life outside of writing.

11. Have you already made plans for 2010? No, I live for the day.

12. Thursday Thunks has a huge party for all those who play along each week. Where is the party, how long does it last and does Kimber fall off the roof dropping crayons? If so, what color of crayon does she fall on? Well, I'd think it'd last at least 24 hours given that some Thunkers live on the other side of the world also...right? And if Kimber was dropping crayons, the one that she would fall on would be the newest color sensation to come across Crayola in a century-----------Kimber Dust. It's a deep ashen rose color, like the Sterling Rose Color. Here....here's the Kimber Dust Rose color I'm talkin' 'bout...right HERE

13. We may have "blogger celebrity" questions in the near future. Are you excited? Yes....like I said, I got dibs on Johnny Depp!!! When is this? I need a tummy tuck first before he shows up as a thunker questioneer tho!!!!



- - -<><><>- - -



THURSDAY 13


Let's go back, back in time!!


I'm sitting here, laughing and thinking OMG....we used to wear this stuff. And thought we were the coolest! Remember back to the 1960s? When this was the fad----


1] Leisure suits? [OMG! ---hideous -actually, even back then, I didn't like 'em. But the big stud muffins that our fathers were in that decade, they considered themselves 'hot'!!---let me reiterate, OMG!] Why on earth did the men like 'em. Some women too, I imagine, but just look at 'em...polyester, not 'breathable', gaudy, and oh so many odd color combinations. My oh my.

2] Remember back when....all the top grossing movies for us teens were the Beach movies? With Frankie and Annette? Oh dear. Some like, Beach Blanket Bingo, Bikini Beach, Beach Party? Not to mention THE place to go see these were not in a theater, but back then....the drive in theaters. With the window speakers and the huge screen as the rows of cars were slightly lower in the next row. And lots of steamed over windows from back seats? LOL

3] Bouffant hair styles? The higher the hair style the more 'in' you were? Like ringlets on top of ringlets. Remember 'ratting' your hair to make it even higher on the crown of your head? I'm sure it was all because of Jackie-O. Don't you? Like beauty and the beast bouffant.

4] Oh I remember this one very well....do you? Gum Wrapper Chains? It too was a fad. Kids in school would be chewing gum constantly. It became a competition to see just who could make the longest ever. Girls used to make gum wrapper jewelry too. OMG! Life was so simple back then...and simple is the key word. Dunno whether our minds were not functioning right, simple minded, or life was just too carefree back then. Here's how to MAKE a gum wrapper chain. And speaking of gum....remember the Doublemint Twins from Wrigley gum?

5] Toys like: Kangaroo ball [which are popular once again today---even in gyms for exercising equipment], hula hoops, playing cards on bike spokes, Twister, Barbie dolls, Slinky. Speaking of Slinky the toy...have you seen the dazzling show from Britain's and America's Got Talent? The HUMAN SLINKY? Check it out---


By the way, I had to have one of course. A Slinky that is. [And for my kids!!! Not me. LOL] And I can still remember the little commercial jingle/song:
    Original Lyrics:
    Who walks the stairs without a care
    It shoots so high in the sky.
    Bounce up and down just like a clown
    Everyone knows its Slinky.

    The best present yet to give or get
    The kids will all want to try.
    The hit of the day when you are ready to play
    Everyone knows it's Slinky.

    It's Slinky, It's Slinky
    for fun the best of the toys.
    It's Slinky, It's Slinky
    the favorite of girls and boys.


6] In the summer....tanning cream was a big thing to carry around. Like Coppertone. Remember how it would turn your skin orange-ish. Wow...what could be better than that for a summer tan? OMG.

7] Dancing? Remember the Twist by Chubby Checker? Everybody was doing it.

8] And don't forget the craze of tye-dye shirts!!! The more colorful and the more psychedelic, the better!

9] This may be hard to believe...our now emoticon " :) " the 'smiley face' actually has a history and it all began back in the 1960s!!! Yes indeedy! It was originally a design for an insurance company...first penned in 1964 by Harvey Ross Ball. And it became a symbol, an icon for decades.

10] Ouija Boards were something too. They were kinda eerie if you ask me. But, you weren't with the 'in crowd' if you didn't have a Ouija Board. They more than likely have been around [according the sites found on the 'net] for over a century. Too mysterious for me to have any fun with them. Well, if I'd believe that there wasn't someone actually MAKING it move.

11] The Hippie Generation!! And Flower Children. The sexual revolution, the love beads, the peace symbol, LSD and marijuana. The only thing I would be caught dead following in this category would be the love beads. I swear!!!

12] Mini this, and mini that. Mini series for TV, mini coats, mini skirts! Whoa, some of those skirts didn't cover much and left NOTHING for the imagination, I'll tellya that much!

13] Today, NASCAR...back some 40+ years ago, it was SLOT CARS. Why they're just what they say they are. Miniature cars, made movable with slots in the race tracks.


This concludes my Thursday 13 ---
Can you Dig it? Far Out! Peace,Love, Unity! Make Love Not War! ---Okay, NOW I'm done. Gr-o-o-o-o-v-y!!!









POSTED: Thursday, November 5th, 2009
12:15 A.M.




IN THE NEWS:
Scientists [more specifically, Geologists] are predicting a NEW OCEAN! How amazing is this? Of course I'll never see it come to be in my lifetime, but it's an awesome discovery. READ more HERE and HERE Wander if it'll be named "The African Ocean"?!!


....AND The New York Yankees win the World Series! Yay!!!! I was very happy. Tho, not happy to see Baseball Season end, I like the sport that much. Let's see, we have to wait until February for the sports pages to be filled once again with something good to read. LOL Not quite SIX MONTHS for Spring Training to begin. [Oh, and I read that in 2010, the Yankees will be pitted against the Red Sox in their opening game. Ho boy!!! Bring it on.]


[photos above courtesy of news site and photobucket search for leisure suits]



33 comments :

  1. ROLMAO Oh my god I so remember those leisure suits. I had one. Yellow and these brown shoes that had heels for days. And yes they were men's shoes LOL. And the slinky and Tye Dye T-Shirts...The Ouija board I never did. I don't believe in all of that stuff. How fun that was. Great Thursday Thunks as well :) I love your 2, 9 and 10. Well done. Have a great rest of the week :) pssst...pass me my journal...what's a journal ROFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed reading your answers, particularly the laptop one, lol.
    I remember those polyester suits from my first visit to the US in 1974...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni!
    Great post as usual.YOu've certainly brought back a huge amount of memories. Hippy days, I remember a bell around my neck. Which I add, I still have. Also talking about flowers being pressed in a book. Which I had done this. 3O plus years ago my husband travelled 20 miles on a bus to see me with 10 red roses. By the time he got to me they unfortunately had wilted 1976 was a very hot year! BUT I still have them disintegrated in a box. I will not throw them away.!
    I love your post very interesting as usual Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your look back! Leisure suits? They were so cool! The slinky video was fun! I don't think they should have voted him off. I was enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you sure have taken me back in time some today... but i must say i'm quite happy with the hairstyles of today. so much less hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Have you had your goat shot?" Very funny. I will think of this now every time someone asks me if I've had my flu shot. I may just respond, "No, but I've had my goat shot." Just to see their responses and to start a new trend.

    Dona Nobis Pacem & Thursday Thirteen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking back is always good for a laugh. When dh heard that it was SS's birthday I got a text "guess who is older than a street" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your answer to #1 on Thursday Thunks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww sweetness! on #4 :) and great answer on #1 ;)

    u may view mine if u have time

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to stop by before I head for the airport for my reunion trip. I had to laugh at your 60s comment about hair - wait till you see the pix I posted!

    Ouija boards - Dad forbade us from playing with them, and for good reason, I believe.

    The Verdict - John Grisham's book made into a movie? I hate what they've done with his books in the movies - wish he would not let them destroy his stuff that way.

    Leisure suits - 70s was when I got DC his - lime green, but not bright. Oh, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How funny about the movie ticket one lol.
    I have walked out of a movie and though did I really buy that ticket and sit through this movie..

    Advertisements is what pulls us into those darn things :0)

    Have a great Thursday.

    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  12. some great memories there. Love that Jeter sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not easy being green makes me cry every time.
    Remember that QT stuff? Orange everything!


    Have a great day!
    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-many-questions-are-too-many.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni, terrific post this morning. Oh, the memories. The polyester suits, the mini skirts, the drive-in and so much more. I do remember all those things. It was a walk down memory lane.

    I hadn't heard about the lake that may form one day in Ethiopia. It won't be in my life time, but interesting none the less.

    Yay for the Yankees. They were my choice to win the World Series as well.

    Enjoy your day and be sure to take some time for you. Since yesterday was a washout for completing the living room, we are tackling the rest of it today.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good MOrning Anni... What great answers today... always fun to read your post! Have a super day...

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember leisure suits and bouffant hair and the slinky before it became psychedelic. Geez, I'm getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peace out!

    Don't forget tie-dye!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm... I forgot all about the goats... I'll be keeping an eye on them now, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your take on the question about questions. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hysterical 13, slightly before my time, but only slightly.

    Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed reading your Thur Thunkers and Thurs 13 today. I can relate to a lot of them.
    I used to make the gum chain.We would asked everyone who chewed gum to save the wrappers.
    I did the hair ratting, and I loved the Beach movies.
    Thanks for the memories.
    I am a Yankee fan, I have been for years. I was in love with Roger M.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. You had better watch what you say about PETA. They will have you sleeping with the sea kittens. If you have not heard about that do a Google search. I find it funny.
    Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wait, there's life beyond writing? I need to get out more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow that does take me back a bit.
    My T13 is up 13 Things I Should Have Said and the 13 Things I Said. Stop by if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are simply amazing! I did a little musing of my own today at http://bleemcguire.blogspot.com/2009/11/computers-vaudeville-puddle-walkers.html
    Check it out. Have a great evening. B : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. You can rummage through my medicine cabinet anytime. lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wait a minute...there IS life outside of our writing in our blogs????? Wow! hehe Oh Anni, I so enjoyed your Thursday Thunks once again. Gosh, I hope I never catch GGD! LOL I've walked out of two movies in my life...one was Nashville and the other was Network. Never thought of asking for my money back though. lol

    Omigosh, you sure did bring back a lot of memories with your Thursday 13. The favourite colour for leisure suits seemed to be baby blue, that's the ones I remember seeing the most. lol Slinky, tye dye shirts, the twist, etc, oh yes those were the days:-)

    Congratulations to the NY Yankees for winning the World Series!! I'll now go read about that new ocean...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your header puts me in mind of biscuits, gravy and My Peeps coming home in a couple of weeks. My Lil Sis and I ouijied up a storm, back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
  29. The fashion of the 60th comes back and the music is still in fashion too ! Finally there was a big revolution of the youth against the old once, which were really old ! Rock music to my father was a crime, lol ! And the hairstyles ! fortunately this didn't come back !!

    ReplyDelete
  30. A PS : Paul Anka who was so famous when I was 13 14, comes now to Brussels for a concert ! And I am 66, hahahahaha ! he must have about the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  31. great thunks and thirteen. I love how you change your blog to fit the season!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for this walk down memory lane and i liked your answers to the meme.
    Honey Bear said the price of pork went up when they named the new flu, Swine. That's when they started calling it H1M1, when pork producers complained.
    Can you still do the twist? We had a contest at our state conference. I didn't enter but just stood up at my table and did the twist. I think if I did it every day, my weight problem would disappear.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete

.